The Student Room Group

Yes, I've been rejected by...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ncsjohn02
i guess the education system does indeed nurture self-conceited ignoramuses who are taught to believe they have the right to talk like a douche because of a few As on a piece of paper. hey, i mean, no one ever gets straight As right? and of course those who get them are obliged to talk like a douche. :rolleyes:

You're missing my point.
I think the major factor's about whether Imperial's a safety net for me next year should Oxford reject me, time's not an issue
Ooh I was really hoping to see TVU after the title..
you think that's humiliating, i was rejected by Anglia Ruskin :lolwut:
nothing wrong there, my friends go there, it just made me laugh that i got accepted to decent uni's, and the only one to give me the middle finger was Anglia Ruskin...
Reply 64
Original post by The*Doctor's*Rose
you think that's humiliating, i was rejected by Anglia Ruskin :lolwut:
nothing wrong there, my friends go there, it just made me laugh that i got accepted to decent uni's, and the only one to give me the middle finger was Anglia Ruskin...

That's quite sad / funny, sorry to hear that. Where did you get accepted? Did you ask why? Seems rather odd.
Original post by Noodlzzz
That's quite sad / funny, sorry to hear that. Where did you get accepted? Did you ask why? Seems rather odd.

This was last year. i go to Bangor now, and i picked A.R as an emergency, but at the time i was thinking "Oh god if i've been rejected by them what will become of me?!"
It is still baffling to me :s-smilie:
And thanks :smile:
Original post by wkmw
You are right that your current course of action is to wait and see whether Imperial gives you an offer. Hard to say though I have heard of exceptional individuals around me being rejected from Imperial.

Looks like you have already somewhat made up your mind, which saves me my explanation, though I will not reapply if I were in your situation and I have an offer from Imperial.

But be mentally prepared that Imperial and Oxford may reject you next year though Imperial gave you an offer this year.

Yup wkmw, I tot the application process looks crazy at times - I've seniors in my sch who scored 4 As, without H3 distinction, and are accepted into Oxbridge when ppl with >5 A are rejected by UCL even. It looks like interviews and PS play a big role too, besides results.

But anw if I were in yr shoes, imperial and oxford phy wouldn't make much difference, as imperial is a well-known sci and tech college in UK - I've to admit one looks more prestigious to be in oxford, and living in london is very ex. Like what wkmw, you risk getting rejection from both uni if you apply next yr. So if oxford rejects me but imperial offers me, I'll be glad to take the imperial offer, save S$45++ on a new application and use the time to pursue me interest.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by BrilliantMinds
I'll most likely be getting an offer from Imperial college for physics and theoretical physics, so should i just settle for Imperial or try again for Oxford?

If I had wanted to do a Physics or Maths degree I'd have picked Imperial over Oxford, no doubt. Are you just an Oxbridge-wannabe-snob or is there some other reason? Because for your chosen subject Imperial trumps every other univeristy outside of the USA.
Original post by Einheri
If I had wanted to do a Physics or Maths degree I'd have picked Imperial over Oxford, no doubt. Are you just an Oxbridge-wannabe-snob or is there some other reason? Because for your chosen subject Imperial trumps every other univeristy outside of the USA.

I prefer Oxford's culture and lower costs of living too. I mean I prefer to live in a town rather than a big city
Original post by superkinetic
Yup wkmw, I tot the application process looks crazy at times - I've seniors in my sch who scored 4 As, without H3 distinction, and are accepted into Oxbridge when ppl with >5 A are rejected by UCL even. It looks like interviews and PS play a big role too, besides results.

But anw if I were in yr shoes, imperial and oxford phy wouldn't make much difference, as imperial is a well-known sci and tech college in UK - I've to admit one looks more prestigious to be in oxford, and living in london is very ex. Like what wkmw, you risk getting rejection from both uni if you apply next yr. So if oxford rejects me but imperial offers me, I'll be glad to take the imperial offer, save S$45++ on a new application and use the time to pursue me interest.

Which sch you from?
Reply 70
I think the major factor's about whether Imperial's a safety net for me next year should Oxford reject me, time's not an issue

True that man, National Service in Singapore burns up 3 years of your life, so you have all the time in the world while you whittle away your NS balance.

It looks like your pretty set on re-applying to Oxford. This sounds really bad, but it seems like the easiest scenario is for you to be rejected by imperial. Only then would you be able to re-apply without any hesitation. But that would not be the best scenario IMO. If you get the imperial offer, take it. As many other TSRers have stressed, Imperial is a fantastic school for science students. Only really douchy employers who you wouldnt want to work for anyway would choose an Oxford grad over an Imperial grad solely based on the "prestige" of the school.

As a fellow Singaporean, I understand what is going through your mind right now. FYI, I was accepted into Oxford, and am studying there right now. However, I was simultaneously REJECTED by LSE, UCL, Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Stanford, Duke and EVEN U of Chicago! I still think Oxford wrongly sent me an offer letter and was simply too embarrassed to rescind my offer.

Whatever your decision, I wish you all the best. It'll be a great experience whether you go to Oxford, Imperial, or even NUS.
Oh for Christ sake, accept the fact you are not good enough for Oxford. Man up about it and have three unforgettable years at Imperial.
Original post by username92
As a fellow Singaporean, I understand what is going through your mind right now. FYI, I was accepted into Oxford, and am studying there right now. However, I was simultaneously REJECTED by LSE, UCL, Harvard, Princeton, Penn, Stanford, Duke and EVEN U of Chicago! I still think Oxford wrongly sent me an offer letter and was simply too embarrassed to rescind my offer.

Whatever your decision, I wish you all the best. It'll be a great experience whether you go to Oxford, Imperial, or even NUS.

I always tot certain US unis - like the ivies, MIT - are harder to get in compared to oxbridge, since they look into other aspects, like cca and external competitions that u've participated.

Anw I always feel that should I have a chance to attend an overseas education, the main focus would be to experience a different culture and learn something from it. The focus shouldn't solely be to attend a top-ranked uni that is listed in times or guardian ranking and 'leech' on the school prestige. I am sure there are other UK unis sci courses- be it the unis are found in the city or town - that can offer a wonderful uni experience too, like Imperial, UCL, Durham, besides Oxford.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Reformed2010
Oh for Christ sake, accept the fact you are not good enough for Oxford. Man up about it and have three unforgettable years at Imperial.

Even so, I won't be attracted to gay people.
Which sch you from?

Opps, I missed yr post earlier on. It's AJ if ur curious.
Reply 75
" just settle" for Imperial?

You don't "just settle" for Imperial...

But seriously, go to Imperial. Its reputation for sciences and engineering is on the same level (if not higher) than Oxford.

So please, at least avoid referring to Imperial as a "safety net" choice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by alexmsf
" just settle" for Imperial?

You don't "just settle" for Imperial...

But seriously, go to Imperial. Its reputation for sciences and engineering is on the same level (if not higher) than Oxford.

So please, at least avoid referring to Imperial as a "safety net" choice.

you seem to refer to imperial with high esteem.
Reply 77
you seem to refer to imperial with high esteem.

He does it because it's as good as Oxford and probably better for the courses. You didn't get in because you weren't good enough, or the tutors didn't like you if you at least got an interview. Get it inside your head you dumb ****.
Original post by el pollo diablo
Since when is Imperial a second rate university? :lolwut:

It is to OP.
Reply 79
Original post by sabbath_92
He does it because it's as good as Oxford and probably better for the courses. You didn't get in because you weren't good enough, or the tutors didn't like you if you at least got an interview. Get it inside your head you dumb ****.

Slightly harsh, I went through the same internal conflict when rejected, and I didn't apply to Imperial either so I've got UCL. I wouldn't just say: 'You didn't get in because you weren't good enough' because most of the people who get an interview are at least intelligent enough, it just depends on whether you're suited to the tutorial system, or whether your tutors like you more than the other applicants. You and I clearly just didn't interview in the way they wanted, and so were rejected. End of. It doesn't necessarily make you thicker than the guy who got your place, remember the people who make the decisions have a day to do it in and are just human beings.

If reapplying makes you give up a place at UCL or ICL then don't bother, Oxford don't like reapplicants anyway because they feel they're taking people away from other unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending