The Student Room Group

Anyone else not bothered about learning to drive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
You guys have no idea what you're talking about. You learn from your mistakes and close encounters. Yes, you need to be mature (and racing out of a car park when you've only just passed is totally ridiculous), but when you first pass your test you want to take your mates out, and they inevitably cause distractions you've never had to drive with while you were learning - you might as well get used to them sooner rather than later. It's a cliche but you don't actually start learning to drive properly until after you've passed your test and you're left to drive on your own. There are plenty of us who have never crashed but there are just as many, if not more, who have dented a wing or something, purely through making a simple mistake. We're all human, we are allowed to make mistakes, and ultimately that's why we have compulsory insurance to fall back on.

With such negative attitudes to driving you probably are best off the roads.
Reply 61
I'm 18 and haven't been bothered about learning to drive :smile:
People only seem to get road rage and keeping a car is bloody expensive! Not to mention parking nightmares!!!
Plus the fact I don't think I cab be trusted behind the wheel! :p: Seriously, imagining myself in the driving seat just doesn't seem right...
I'm fine with public transport or lifts.
Original post by FXX
You guys have no idea what you're talking about. You learn from your mistakes and close encounters. Yes, you need to be mature (and racing out of a car park when you've only just passed is totally ridiculous), but when you first pass your test you want to take your mates out, and they inevitably cause distractions you've never had to drive with while you were learning - you might as well get used to them sooner rather than later. It's a cliche but you don't actually start learning to drive properly until after you've passed your test and you're left to drive on your own. There are plenty of us who have never crashed but there are just as many, if not more, who have dented a wing or something, purely through making a simple mistake. We're all human, we are allowed to make mistakes, and ultimately that's why we have compulsory insurance to fall back on.

With such negative attitudes to driving you probably are best off the roads.

Where did that come from? I don't want to start an argument here, but all we were doing is commenting on the fact that quite a few young people experience crashes. In a way you've sort of proven our point. It's understandable that people will want to take their mates out with them, but they could end up distracting the driver through their immaturity. Obviously a good driver would keep level-headed about it, and I'm sure plenty of people can just focus on the road, without giving in to the temptation of messing about or showing off to their mates. If you were older and had just passed however, then your friends are likely to be more mature, and just settle down for the journey instead of causing distractions due to being driven around by your friend for the first time.
Reply 63
Original post by Man-in-the-Moon
Where did that come from? I don't want to start an argument here, but all we were doing is commenting on the fact that quite a few young people experience crashes. In a way you've sort of proven our point. It's understandable that people will want to take their mates out with them, but they could end up distracting the driver through their immaturity. Obviously a good driver would keep level-headed about it, and I'm sure plenty of people can just focus on the road, without giving in to the temptation of messing about or showing off to their mates. If you were older and had just passed however, then your friends are likely to be more mature, and just settle down for the journey instead of causing distractions due to being driven around by your friend for the first time.

See, you're just proving my point. You don't drive so you have no idea what experience counts for when it comes to driving. When you pass your test, all you're saying is that you can control the car and adhere to the highway code for 37 minutes while there's somebody there hovering over a second brake pedal and with minimal distraction. When you're on your own, you have to think for yourself when it comes to situations you've never been in before. If you ever bother to learn to drive, you will see my point. Older learners take longer to learn and don't absorb 'experience' as quickly as younger drivers, so being mature (age-wise rather than mentality-wise, as some of us are sensible on the roads) isn't such a great thing.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm still going to learn to drive but I'll take my time. Car is still important to me for getting around.
Reply 65
Original post by Captain92
Surely it's just down to personal preference?
I stated in my first post that I can't currently afford to learn to drive anyway, let alone get a car and be insured. I wasn't hating on people that learn to drive at 17, just sayin' I'm not so hot on it myself. I intend to learn at some point, and the difference in learning capacity varies a) from person to person ANYWAY, and b) won't change that much in the few years between say 17 and 20.
Go ahead and drive and be merry, I've no issue with it. My brother learned at 17 and hasn't had so much as a scrape, generalising is pointless.

I was annoyed at how Man-in-the-Moon seemed to think that getting distracted automatically makes you a bad driver, when it simply means you're inexperienced. There is a massive difference between the two and there is no way someone with no experience of driving is going to tell me otherwise.
Original post by Man-in-the-Moon
Every single one of my friends seems to have either passed their driving test or are learning to drive and I feel like I'm the only person who's not bothering. My 17th birthday was almost a year ago, and when I finally got my provisional and started driving with my dad at Easter it just didn't feel like all that everyone was making it out to be. I just don't feel like I want or need to learn to drive. I can get buses or lifts to whereever I need to go, it costs lots of money every month which I simply wouldn't want to spend, and at Uni I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyway. People who've learnt to drive can brag on about having the freedom to go whereever they want whenever they want, but I actually feel that I'm better off not wasting my time learning to drive. Please tell me there's more than just a few people who feel this way, I can't think of one person who I've spoken to at school who isn't learning to drive!

I wouldn't worry about this. I haven't bothered learning how to drive and while my friends brag about freedom, they don't mention the downsides of tax, insurances, the huge cost of lessons etc. Public transport is cheaper and (usually) far more reliable. You're not missing much!
I never bothered to learn to drive as I felt that I couldn't afford a car so it was pointless learning to drive and then not needing my licence for years yet and imagined I'd forget how to drive. In the end I think that it's a good idea to learn when you are young and possibly your parents are about to help with the cost or to take you out for practice drives. I have lost count of the number of jobs and oppertunities that require a license.

I wish it were not so and there is of course the enviromental damage but we are a car dependent society.
Original post by FXX
See, you're just proving my point. You don't drive so you have no idea what experience counts for when it comes to driving. When you pass your test, all you're saying is that you can control the car and adhere to the highway code for 37 minutes while there's somebody there hovering over a second brake pedal and with minimal distraction. When you're on your own, you have to think for yourself when it comes to situations you've never been in before. If you ever bother to learn to drive, you will see my point. Older learners take longer to learn and don't absorb 'experience' as quickly as younger drivers, so being mature (age-wise rather than mentality-wise, as some of us are sensible on the roads) isn't such a great thing.

Okay, that's a fair point, I see what you're saying. I agree with what you say about learning at an older age, but I also think I'd rather learn at an age when my friends are mature enough to be indifferent to my driving. At the moment, we're at that age where we're very competitive (at least my friends are anyway) so I would immediately feel pressure coming from them. If I failed my driving test or crashed on a lesson, for example, some of my friends would be supportive, but then there'd be others whose competitive spirit would kick in, who would end up mocking me and adding even more pressure. At the age I plan to learn to drive at (once I've finished at uni) I would like to think that my friends would be more mature, and then the pressure wouldn't be laid on anything like as much.

I don't think getting distracted makes you a bad driver, far from it. All I'm trying to say is that the best drivers are surely the ones who can concentrate on the road at all times. I imagine the others would just need practice. No, I'm not in the best position to say this, since I haven't had any driving lessons, but that's just my view from where I'm at now. Will it change when I can drive? Probably.
Reply 69
Original post by Seasick Steve

Original post by Seasick Steve
It's worth learning so that you don't have to rely on lifts or public transport when you go out, but then again, it is a lot of money, for lessons it's about £20 for 90 minutes, and then £60 for each of your theory and practical tests. Don't waste your money if you're not fussed.

I wish it was that cheap! I've gone privately rather than with bsm etc, but it costs me £36 for 90 minutes and that's normal! If only it was that cheap!
Depends on your circumstances most particularly on where you live.

If you are a city person, ie you plan to work in a city centre and live in or close to a city centre then even if learning to drive was free, the cost of running and owning a car is not worth it. I know people from uni who bought a car and then feel obliged to keep it because they can drive and have one, but its just not convenient in a city environment.

If you are the type of person who would rather live slightly further out then a car becomes more useful.

But I think too many people waste money by seeing it as the default thing "you must learn to drive", think about your circumstances first.
Reply 71
When I have the money and the time I will do it, until then I will rely on good old british Transport :yep:

I am 24 btw :smile:
Original post by tazz_yerr
I wish it was that cheap! I've gone privately rather than with bsm etc, but it costs me £36 for 90 minutes and that's normal! If only it was that cheap!

I had a private instructor who charged as little as £21 for a 90 min session. I guess it's because I block booked and pre-paid, so got a discount, and a bit down to luck on how much an instructor costs in your area.
Reply 73
I'm in no hurry to learn. Public transport can only get better and it is greener too.

Plus owning a car is only going to get more expensive as we run out of oil. I think I'll learn when electric cars are cheap enough :biggrin: Tesla Roadster would do ^_^
Reply 74
Original post by Sime
I'm in no hurry to learn. Public transport can only get better and it is greener too.

Plus owning a car is only going to get more expensive as we run out of oil. I think I'll learn when electric cars are cheap enough :biggrin: Tesla Roadster would do ^_^

$100,000 car that can't go round corners... lols...
Original post by HouseLover
I feel the same way as you. I cannot be bothered with the cost of the car, its maintenance, insurance, lessons, tests! I might wait until I get to university but until then the bus does me fine (although it is not reliable at all). Besides, I get lifts everywhere and I don't live in a place as vast as London.

I started driving last year and then whilst with my instructor, I crashed the car into a tree and so was suspended and had to fork out a wad of money. Nae amused!

The reason you pay for the lessons is for the use of the car and the instructors time. The instructors insurance should cover him for such eventualities. You shouldn't have paid a penny. More importantly, what sort of an instructor allows a pupil to crash? Are you sure he/she was ADI licensed?

Although I shouldn't talk much. I was also robbed by one instructor when I was learning to drive.
Reply 76
Yes, I was swindled out of my money. He was from a dubious company (in hindsight) giving me a discount on driving lessons. Call me stupid, if you must. :frown:

Robbed? :confused: Did he steal a lot of your stuff?
Reply 77
What's the point? I haven't got the money for lessons, then to buy a car, then to pay the extortionate insurance for someone of my age and gender.
Reply 78
YES, i honestly cannot be bothered,
same here....everyone at school is cramming for theory tests etc...

but my logic goes something like this...

if I do get a driving license....I have to get insurance to drive.....insurance for me is 3-4000 a year....I can't afford to drive....don't need to waste money and time on driving license

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending