The Student Room Group

Family Completely Ignoring My Offer :(

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations - good luck with the A-levels and hope you enjoy the course.
Don't expect to be acknowledged yet cos you still have to get the grades first:smile:
Original post by Beautiful And Kind
:h: Congrats for getting an offer.

don't congrats her she needs to learn!
Original post by TobeTheHero
don't congrats her she needs to learn!

Haha well, its nice to say it. Boosts her confidence :biggrin:
your parents are right, you should first meet the requirements, if u dont its just an offer.
Reply 25
Original post by Ivanka
I got an offer from York a few days ago. It was my first one and therefore I was completely amazed and happy about this. However, I feel my family doesn't share the same feelings. It came out today at a family meet-up when I said, "I've got into York!":

1. You still have to meet the conditions.
2. What are you going to do with a degree in Spanish and Linguistics?
3. How are you going to fund your studies since the tuition fees have been raised?
4. I pretty think you should study in the Czech Republic.

I know I still have to get the grades to be admitted...but really, my friends are sending me congratulations, people on TSR seem happy and plan their future in terms of those unis having given them offers. Or shouldn't I be utterly neutral about this? I still can fail my Maturita exams and, after all, it's probably not that demanding to get to York...

congrats on the offer :biggrin: .. in my opinion, i think they have really high hopes on you, and they think u deserve something better. :smile:

anyways, i guess ur in the same boat as me. i've got offers from imperial, UCL, and machester, but all my family members couldn't be bothered. tbh, it did hurt me pretty badly at the beginning, but now, i couldn't be less bothered. Good luck! :tongue:
Original post by Ivanka
I got an offer from York a few days ago. It was my first one and therefore I was completely amazed and happy about this. However, I feel my family doesn't share the same feelings. It came out today at a family meet-up when I said, "I've got into York!":

3. How are you going to fund your studies since the tuition fees have been raised?

I know I still have to get the grades to be admitted...but really, my friends are sending me congratulations, people on TSR seem happy and plan their future in terms of those unis having given them offers. Or shouldn't I be utterly neutral about this? I still can fail my Maturita exams and, after all, it's probably not that demanding to get to York...

aww! parents are like that, my family acted the same way. I suppose it doesn't hit them as hard as it does to us because to them, we're not officially in university yet.
Congrats on the offer! I'm thinking of making York my firm as well, maybe we'll bump into each other! :biggrin:
Reply 27
Any offer is great news. Of course you have to meet the conditions but it's still better than not getting an offer.
Your parents should be proud of you.
Reply 28
Original post by Hafsaay
Aww :console: I remember getting all 5 of my offers before telling my parents, I was so happy and my dad was just like '5 offers means nothing' and walked off. I remained silent till results day. :nothing:

:sad:

Poor you. That's so awful!
Reply 29
Original post by shadow99
Any offer is great news. Of course you have to meet the conditions but it's still better than not getting an offer.
Your parents should be proud of you.

Exactly - you could have easily got rejected, meaning there is NO CHANCE of you getting into that uni [unless if they made a mistake or something]. You got a conditional offer, and although you have to meet the conditions, it is still good, because you know that you could be going to Uni in September/October 2011.

Also, I bet you that, after all this, you finding a good job with your degree, you paying off your debt, and you doing well in Uni etc - your parents won't congratulate you.

Anyway congrats - and with Uni fees going up, you really need to go to Uni this year - even if it isn't one of the top unis!
Reply 30
Original post by Ivanka

My family are the same way. It's like its never enough to make them happy. I bet if I won the lottery tomorrow, they'd be like:

1. Yes, but you haven't got the money yet
2. What are you going to do with so much cash
and so on..

btw, there are LOADS of jobs that you can get with linguistics!
(edited 13 years ago)
are your parents Arab by any chance?
lol my parents only said, "why didnt you get into harvard?" when i told them about my offer. they didnt even know i didnt apply there. :facepalm:
Reply 33
It was different in their day, everyone got offers/went to uni. They just don't appreciate it.
Reply 34
Original post by edd360
It was different in their day, everyone got offers/went to uni. They just don't appreciate it.

Hardly!
Reply 35
Original post by Cicerao
Hardly!

Sorry I got confused. I don't know why I thought that, actually lol. Probably because it used to be free for them so I assumed everyone went?
Reply 36
My family don't understand what a maths degree is and think it's about adding/subtracting big numbers, needless to say, it drives me up the wall.
Reply 37
Original post by happyfeet*
are your parents Arab by any chance?

No, they aren't :tongue:

Actually, most of the quotes I put into my OP were said by my grandma - she is very conservative, has never gone to uni, worked all her life as an accountant, and says things like, "Girls shouldn't study Maths":rolleyes:
It really brings home the retardation there is in this world when people get excited about getting an offer from a uni.

It's like back in school days, when people got excited because they got 5 C's at GCSE, and were going to go to college to study something **** like hairdressing or bricklaying.
Reply 39
Original post by ColonelMoore
It really brings home the retardation there is in this world when people get excited about getting an offer from a uni.

It's like back in school days, when people got excited because they got 5 C's at GCSE, and were going to go to college to study something **** like hairdressing or bricklaying.

Hmm yes, god knows why people get excited about the prospect of attending a university they're really interested in attending, it's totally beyond me too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending