The Student Room Group

If we got rid of makeup, girls would be nothing.

Scroll to see replies

Some girls are beautiful without any makeup.
Clearly the OP hasn't though of the fact that actually most girls wear makeup to feel good about THEMSELVES, not to attract attention from guys.

Example: Many guys want to look extremely muscular, handsome, and what not.
Sure, there's going to be guys that do it for the attention. But there'll still be a portion that do it for themselves.
so, what you're saying is that those 99.9 % of girls are actually ugly without make-up, but you still want to get rid of make-up... so...do you have some kind of fattish of fu*king uglies?
Original post by Drocell Keinz
Clearly the OP hasn't though of the fact that actually most girls wear makeup to feel good about THEMSELVES, not to attract attention from guys.

Example: Many guys want to look extremely muscular, handsome, and what not.
Sure, there's going to be guys that do it for the attention. But there'll still be a portion that do it for themselves.

Could you not suggest that the any male desire to appear muscular is based upon social hierarchy though?

I.e. girls may wear make up to feel better about themselves, but this is because in doing so they look better than other girls.
Red queen principle: "it takes all the running you can do to keep in the same place".

Lots of girls wear make up = girl must wear make up in order to be of similar attractiveness and find mate. Abolish all make up and there won't be the same competitiveness with regards to it. So I doubt abolishing make up will "kill" girls.

I wear make up, even to go shopping, it's really not a big issue. :rolleyes: Find better things to moan about, OP.
Make Up - Weird name :mmm:
Original post by blue acre
Could you not suggest that the any male desire to appear muscular is based upon social hierarchy though?

I.e. girls may wear make up to feel better about themselves, but this is because in doing so they look better than other girls.

-facepalm- Oh yes, how could I forget.
Definately that as well.
If we got rid of makeup, no one would be anything, amazing neo-romantic clubnights would be non-existent, and I wouldn't be able to fulfill my dream of wearing every colour known to man at any one time (yes just to Sainsbury's or a 9am lecture or the off-license. If I love being bright and have nothing better to do that day than eat some pasta and watch sitcoms online, why on earth would I NOT kill some time dressing up how I enjoy for fear of some strange men silently judging me for wearing too much makeup in the day? Madness)

Two glorious nights a month I can walk into a roomful of people whose gender is impossible to ascertain due to their makeup and clothes, and cross my fingers I make weknowwhatyoudidlastnight along with all the other OTT'ers. Why would you take that away from me? :tongue:

I spend a lot of time people watching and find it very hard to tell who dresses up for themselves and who does it for any nearby men, so I think it's a bit of a daft generalisation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 248
Original post by uovo011111111
so, what you're saying is that those 99.9 % of girls are actually ugly without make-up, but you still want to get rid of make-up... so...do you have some kind of fattish of fu*king uglies?

He could just be gay :dontknow:
Reply 249
Personally I don't wear make-up everyday(too much hassle,can't be bothered to take it off. Its only in occasions(weddings,birthdays etc) and its only eyeliner,mascara,some concealer and maybe some gloss :tongue:
Everyone else had made pretty good fair points and I agree with most of them. I do wear make-up not because I want guys to notice(most guys I know wouldnt notice anyway) because I like it for me,I feel slightly prettier with it,but I can go out without it on occasion and feel just fine.
Reply 251
Isn't make-up just another sign that a girl is trying to grab a boy or even worse any boys attention?
If I want to wear it......I will. :h:

If I don't want to wear it....I won't......simples, and neither of those decisions makes me "nothing".
I generally don't ever wear makeup, unless I'm at a party. I've never felt particularly self concious. This is the face I was born with it, if I can't live with it in day to day life what's the point? I think I'll start wearing it more in Uni and things (my school has a strict code) but never to excess. That said, I don't have a problem with anyone who does and really, why does it affect you what other people wear?
I see where you are coming from in that arguably, society has been shaped in such a way that some girls (and guys for that matter) rely so much on hiding behind aesthetics. But I don't agree that 'girls' they would be 'nothing' without make up
I agree hugely though not totally.

I have said before that I see a lot of women/girls who seem to have a high opinion of themselves even subconciously, even men have this flaw too and it demonstrates itself when people see someone of either sex and think they are unnattractive even going as far to call them ugly and then compare them to someone they think it very attractive who is someone who takes care of their appearance so to speak or to go deeper lets say you have a nerdy person who doesnt do their hair and doesnt care much about being fashionable, they could get called ugly, the same person could then change their apperance and the people who called them ugly would think they are hot.

I know one girl personally at least who had a bit of a split personality, when she didnt wear make up she would be timid and weak and if you argued with her in any form she would pretty much be on the verge of crying even of you said something that isnt offensive, the second she put on make up she became vicious and backstabbing.
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
If I want to wear it......I will. :h:

If I don't want to wear it....I won't......simples, and neither of those decisions makes me "nothing".

So I was noseying through your profile:biggrin:, and i was wondering are you pouting or have you had lip enhancement?:confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Attlee_party
So I was noseying through your profile:biggrin:, and i was wondering are you pouting or have you had lip enhancement?:confused:

Just pouting :colondollar: Any larger and they'd look ridic :h:
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
Just pouting :colondollar: Any larger and they'd look ridic :h:

Ahh ok, I thought you had been attacked by a syringe full of collagen lol. Impressive pout though:rolleyes::biggrin:
Lol makeup is just a front really. I don't mean to be nasty but it is. You don't natuarally look like that, so why cake yourself in makeup and essentially pretend to be something you are not. At the end of the day the makeup has to come off at some point and the person you are trying to impress is going to see what you actually look like. Why not just go natural all the time, and wear the makeup on special occasions, therefore you give people something to look forward to and you take the pressure off of yourself because you don't have to look your best all of the time.

Am i making any sense? Porbably not......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending