The Student Room Group

Electric muscle stimulation devices

Anyone purchased on of them & does it work? I read some reviews on Boditek Elite 2 and people only say it tones but nobody can prove it helps bulk up muscle size.

Who's used a EMS device and it's bulked them up?

Scroll to see replies

It wouldnt bulk up.. it aids in the toning of your muscles...

Basicly, you cant just sit there with it on and expect to turn into superman.. you do both excersize, and use the stimulation..
Reply 2
I'd stay away. And I'd hope that all such devices are fake and don't actually work, because if there is a device that does actually send electrical signals down your nervous system, causing muscles to move and exercise, I'd hate to think what other things it could potentially be doing, or all the nerves and pathways it could be destroying.
Reply 3
Original post by daedalos
Anyone purchased on of them & does it work? I read some reviews on Boditek Elite 2 and people only say it tones but nobody can prove it helps bulk up muscle size.

Who's used a EMS device and it's bulked them up?

Complete bull****, stay away from them. If you want to bulk up, lift heavy weight.
Reply 4
Original post by u4m1r
Complete bull****, stay away from them. If you want to bulk up, lift heavy weight.

Have you used an EMS device before? How long have you tried using it? Or are you saying it's bulls*** because you say so?
Reply 5
Original post by musabjilani
I'd stay away. And I'd hope that all such devices are fake and don't actually work, because if there is a device that does actually send electrical signals down your nervous system, causing muscles to move and exercise, I'd hate to think what other things it could potentially be doing, or all the nerves and pathways it could be destroying.

Shouldn't it be safe when they're FDA approved?
Reply 6
Load of arse gravy - the fact you are looking at them shows your lazy approach to be honest, it only plays on human laziness to exercise and follow a balanced diet (you know as we would in the wild). Man up and get your fat ass to a gym
Reply 7
Original post by MattGriff
Load of arse gravy - the fact you are looking at them shows your lazy approach to be honest, it only plays on human laziness to exercise and follow a balanced diet (you know as we would in the wild). Man up and get your fat ass to a gym

Are you talking from personal experience in using EMS devices? Doesn't sound like it. I never said I intend to use it as a substitute for the gym. Stop making baseless assumptions.
Reply 8
Are you talking from personal experience in using EMS devices? Doesn't sound like it. I never said I intend to use it as a substitute for the gym. Stop making baseless assumptions.

It doesn't matter if I am, without someone doing actual training, diet etc which most people will when trying to get in shape there is no control measure to show that it is or isn't effective.

I can make as many assumptions as I like, as with this they are accurate hence the hissy fit reaction from yourself - why not search the benefits above normal on scholar rather than asking on a student forum where no control measures will be present - oh yeah, because you are lazy.
Reply 9
Original post by MattGriff
It doesn't matter if I am, without someone doing actual training, diet etc which most people will when trying to get in shape there is no control measure to show that it is or isn't effective.

I can make as many assumptions as I like, as with this they are accurate hence the hissy fit reaction from yourself - why not search the benefits above normal on scholar rather than asking on a student forum where no control measures will be present - oh yeah, because you are lazy.

If this is only a student forum talking about education then there wouldn't be a fitness section. I can also call you lazy for directing me to another forum instead of doing that yourself.

And no your assumptions are not accurate. You're just being deluded. I never said I intend to use EMS as a substitute to the gym yet you keep thinking I am.

And your so-called control measure is the same for both exercising and using EMS. There's no difference. You still can measure your weight, body fat/muscle ratio etc. If you really can't measure if EMS works or not then I can also say you can't measure if going to the gym works.

It makes a huge difference whether you used EMS or not. Sounds like you're simply not open to the idea of someone using EMS instead of the gym. Whether it works or not you'll trash it off as useless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ColonelMoore
Totally disappointed by this thread.

penis isnt a muscle u ****in phag
If this is only a student forum talking about education then there wouldn't be a fitness section. I can also call you lazy for directing me to another forum instead of doing that yourself.

And no your assumptions are not accurate. You're just being deluded. I never said I intend to use EMS as a substitute to the gym yet you keep thinking I am.

And your so-called control measure is the same for both exercising and using EMS. There's no difference. You still can measure your weight, body fat/muscle ratio etc. If you really can't measure if EMS works or not then I can also say you can't measure if going to the gym works.

It makes a huge difference whether you used EMS or not. You haven't...

you are an idiot for even mentioning an EMS, having a five minute look at their websites and a gcse pe textbook should tell you its a crock of ****. Muscle growth happens after stimulation and stimulation happens after resistance. What resistance are you going to get using an EMS machine? Christ, people are dumb.
Original post by the666thmessiah
It wouldnt bulk up.. it aids in the toning of your muscles...

Basicly, you cant just sit there with it on and expect to turn into superman.. you do both excersize, and use the stimulation..

You are an idiot, do you know that?

Since when are bulking up and "toning" two different things
Original post by Justin Hammer
You are an idiot, do you know that?

Since when are bulking up and "toning" two different things

You are the idiot. lol. Yes muscle bulk is involved in tone, but they are seperate things. Moron
Original post by the666thmessiah
You are the idiot. lol. Yes muscle bulk is involved in tone, but they are seperate things. Moron

Muscle can only experience hypertrophy and atrophy, toning is meant to be hypertrophy occuring during fat loss. This only really happens for 99% of the population in two circumstances:

1. Rapid progress in the first stages of the training
2. You're on steroids/hgh

EMS machines are said to induce "toning" by sending electronic signals to the muscle. How this can be related to the body working in caloric deficit is beyond me.
Reply 15
Have you used an EMS device before? How long have you tried using it? Or are you saying it's bulls*** because you say so?

How about learning how the body works and realising that it can't possibly cause your muscles to grow?
Original post by qasman
Please use wikipedia for the love of God it's there for a reason

well since this thread is about muscle, they are the same thing. Both involve muscular hypertrophy. Its just that one involves fat loss happening concurrently. Thing is that is near impossible 99% of the time. I fail to understand how an ems manages to stimulate muscle for it to grow whilst simultaneously inducing fat loss. I mean who is seriously stupid enough to believe this garbage?
Reply 17
well since this thread is about muscle, they are the same thing. Both involve muscular hypertrophy. Its just that one involves fat loss happening concurrently. Thing is that is near impossible 99% of the time. I fail to understand how an ems manages to stimulate muscle for it to grow whilst simultaneously inducing fat loss. I mean who is seriously stupid enough to believe this garbage?

Not sure if it makes a difference but most EMS devices have seperate programmes for toning and strength enhancing. Muscle growth and fat loss is not simultaneous.
Reply 18

Please explain how your body does this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toning_exercises

Please read.

Also EMS do NOT WORK. It is complete BS.

Think about it. If they actually worked, why would people actually go to the gym?
Not sure if it makes a difference but most EMS devices have seperate programmes for toning and strength enhancing. Muscle growth and fat loss is not simultaneous.

I'm sorry what?

Strength ENHANCING??

LMFAO!

Tell me my dear idiot/troll what exactly do you think gets a body strong A ) deadlifts ranging from 120-400KG or B ) some lazy, half-assed EMS crap that is designed and marketed so clueless idiots/trolls like yourself buy it?

I am going to with my muscles and say deadlifts help me. YAY!

Quick Reply

Latest