The Student Room Group

Electric muscle stimulation devices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qasman
Please explain how your body does this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toning_exercises

Read your own source you mug

Toning exercises are physical exercises that aim to develop a physique with a large emphasis on musculature. There is no single exercise to "tone." The best way to tone is to utilize aerobic exercise to reduce body fat and perform weight resistance exercise to build muscle. Performing a combination of such exercises can be referred to as toning.

In regards to MUSCLE, bulking and toning are the same thing. Both induce muscular hypertrophy. Muscle can only grow and shrink. Nothing more.
Original post by daedalos
Not sure if it makes a difference but most EMS devices have seperate programmes for toning and strength enhancing.

Please tell me I am being trolled, no one can seriously be this dense

Muscle growth and fat loss is not simultaneous.

Yeha thankyou for repeating what I already said 30 minutes ago
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Justin Hammer
Please tell me I am being trolled, no one can seriously be this dense

Yeha thankyou for repeating what I already said 30 minutes ago

I didn't repeat what you said. You said it's impossible for muscle growth and fat loss at the same time so EMS devices doesn't work, and I'm telling you EMS devices have seperate programmes for this so you're never toning and bulking up simultaneously.

How is it dense? You've never used EMS before so you can't claim I'm being a troll for saying it has a strength enhancing programme when the product is labelled as such.
Reply 23
Original post by HARRY PUTAH
I'm sorry what?

Strength ENHANCING??

LMFAO!

Tell me my dear idiot/troll what exactly do you think gets a body strong A ) deadlifts ranging from 120-400KG or B ) some lazy, half-assed EMS crap that is designed and marketed so clueless idiots/trolls like yourself buy it?

I am going to with my muscles and say deadlifts help me. YAY!

I think the person with larger and more lean muscles is stronger. Both deadlifts and EMS is designed to reach the same outcome. Since you and I haven't used EMS before we don't know if someone using EMS can be just as strong as someone deadlifting 400KG.

You can say I'm a bit clueless but I'm not naive enough to claim EMS is useless because deadlifting looks cooler than getting shocked by electricity. Apparently 20 minutes of EMS is equivalent to 200 pushups. This was mentioned in one of Bruce Lee's documentary. Either it's true or he was paid to say this. :confused:
Reply 24
If this is only a student forum talking about education then there wouldn't be a fitness section. I can also call you lazy for directing me to another forum instead of doing that yourself.

I directed you to Google Scholar a search engine that provides scientific studies - and you judge that as lazy? The fitness section is for education as well, there is such a thing as sports science you know!

And no your assumptions are not accurate. You're just being deluded. I never said I intend to use EMS as a substitute to the gym yet you keep thinking I am.

At no point have I said you are using it as a substitute to the gym - as such this is a redundant point.

And your so-called control measure is the same for both exercising and using EMS. There's no difference. You still can measure your weight, body fat/muscle ratio etc. If you really can't measure if EMS works or not then I can also say you can't measure if going to the gym works.

That is not how exercise is measured in its effectiveness! And if you learn to read I stated that people on here will not have accurate control measures - however there are likely tests on Scholar that have hence my directing you to it.

It makes a huge difference whether you used EMS or not. Sounds like you're simply not open to the idea of someone using EMS instead of the gym. Whether it works or not you'll trash it off as useless.

No it does not, if it did top athletes would use it would they not? Yet surprise surprise they do not use them as there is no conclusive research to suggest it is actually effective.

Silly silly person
I think the person with larger and more lean muscles is stronger. Both deadlifts and EMS is designed to reach the same outcome. Since you and I haven't used EMS before we don't know if someone using EMS can be just as strong as someone deadlifting 400KG.

You can say I'm a bit clueless but I'm not naive enough to claim EMS is useless because deadlifting looks cooler than getting shocked by electricity. Apparently 20 minutes of EMS is equivalent to 200 pushups. This was mentioned in one of Bruce Lee's documentary. Either it's true or he was paid to say this. :confused:

Erm, I dont need to try EMS to know its useless because people like you believe it it and start spouting uter garbage and call the likes of Matt griff 'clueless'. Hint he can bench more than you can deadlift and whats more Bruce Lee did lifting himself.

What do you think caused him to suffer his terrible injury?

Sitting on his flat eating cheerios with his uber EMS pack or failing to warm-up properly and performing a set in a lift which had severe consequences later on.

ooooh I dont know, maybe he got so fat his chair collapsed and he buckled his spine?

For all I care you can pretend to keep thinking that EMS is good for replacing the likes of deadlifts because you will stay the **** away from people in gyms that actually want to get somewhere and 2, you help the economy by keeping products like this in circulation.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 26
Erm, I dont need to try EMS to know its useless because people like you believe it it and start spouting uter garbage and call the likes of Matt griff 'clueless'. Hint he can bench more than you can deadlift and whats more Bruce Lee did lifting himself.

What do you think caused him to suffer his terrible injury?

Sitting on his flat eating cheerios with his uber EMS pack or failing to warm-up properly and performing a set in a lift which had severe consequences later on.

ooooh I dont know, maybe he got so fat his chair collapsed and he buckled his spine?

For all I care you can pretend to keep thinking that EMS is good for replacing the likes of deadlifts because you will stay the **** away from people in gyms that actually want to get somewhere and 2, you help the economy by keeping products like this in circulation.

You really are stupid good sir.

First of all I never called 'the likes of Matt' clueless good sir. And how can you be so sure this Matt can bench more than I can deadlift when you know nothing about me and possible him? Your assumptions are way off the mark good sir. You can keep pretending people in gyms want to 'get somewhere' and people using EMS don't if you feel like it, but keep that opinion to yourself good sir.
Reply 27
'Good sir' < lol

Breaking news, Andy Bolton actually uses EMS 6 hours per day to achieve his record breaking lifts! Read more about it here:

[email protected]/emsisapileof****
Reply 28

First of all I never called 'the likes of Matt' clueless good sir. And how can you be so sure this Matt can bench more than I can deadlift when you know nothing about me and possible him? Your assumptions are way off the mark good sir. You can keep pretending people in gyms want to 'get somewhere' and people using EMS don't if you feel like it, but keep that opinion to yourself good sir.

Well here is a competition bench press of mine from the Global Powerlifting Congress 2008 World Championships, my opening lift of 230kgs

You're up bub, lets see your deadlift????

Opinions are free to be expressed here, granted they are likely to be taken apart but they can be expressed all the same.
Harry and I oft don't see eye to eye, but we are very much on the same page here as this kit is nonsense for an able bodied person.

Well I may be stupid in some ways but it takes stupid to know stupid yeah?

You go slap your EMS on and play on your nintendo Wii but I shall busy myself learning and improving my lifts but please, if you ever step into a gym and notice somebody doing a heavy lift ie; 3 plates or more on either side of the bar, don't insult them because you might get a barbell wrapped round your head.

Original post by MattGriff
Well here is a competition bench press of mine from the Global Powerlifting Congress 2008 World Championships, my opening lift of 230kgs

You're up bub, lets see your deadlift????

Opinions are free to be expressed here, granted they are likely to be taken apart but they can be expressed all the same.
Harry and I oft don't see eye to eye, but we are very much on the same page here as this kit is nonsense for an able bodied person.

Thats because i can be ignorant :wink: How tall are you matt? I always need to get 1 set off before I am happy with my foot position as I am 6ft 3".
Reply 30

Thats because i can be ignorant :wink: How tall are you matt? I always need to get 1 set off before I am happy with my foot position as I am 6ft 3".

6ft 1

Quick Reply

Latest