The Student Room Group

Tired of being single

I've had the odd fling but not a proper relationship for a few years now (I'm 21), and I'm tired of it. I feel ready for a proper relationship and crave that closeness with someone.

The problem is I just haven't met people that I like, and those that I do like don't like me. I started Uni in September and I always thought I'd meet someone I liked then, but I really haven't and as I said -- those that I have liked haven't liked me.

What should I do? I have joined quite a few societies. Just keep going in the hope that I'll meet someone at some point?

Do you think there is something wrong with me that I haven't met anyone that I can have a proper relationship in so many years? I'd say I'm averagely attractive, facially okay just taken down to average because I'm a bit chubby (size 14) and relatively normal as a person?

People always say it will happen when you stop looking but that's so annoying, it's not like I go about my life looking for a guy. I just want to be in a relationship, I miss being in a relationship.

I haven't even had a fling in a while and so now I miss sex too! -- adding to the fears that there is something wrong with me.

Any advice? Or anything? :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can set you up with my cousin achmed he needs a passport and loves white women you interested???
Reply 2
Original post by Oxidative Phosphorylation
I've had the odd fling but not a proper relationship for a few years now (I'm 21), and I'm tired of it. I feel ready for a proper relationship and crave that closeness with someone.

The problem is I just haven't met people that I like, and those that I do like don't like me. I started Uni in September and I always thought I'd meet someone I liked then, but I really haven't and as I said -- those that I have liked haven't liked me.

What should I do? I have joined quite a few societies. Just keep going in the hope that I'll meet someone at some point?

Do you think there is something wrong with me that I haven't met anyone that I can have a proper relationship in so many years? I'd say I'm averagely attractive, facially okay just taken down to average because I'm a bit chubby (size 14) and relatively normal as a person?

People always say it will happen when you stop looking but that's so annoying, it's not like I go about my life looking for a guy. I just want to be in a relationship, I miss being in a relationship.

Firstly: Awesome username, do you like metabolic pathways too? :coma:

It'll happen when it happens, try not to obsess over it :console: I know it's annoying to hear that, but it's true...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Democracy
Firstly: Awesome username, do you like metabolic pathways too? :coma:

It'll happen when it happens, try not to obsess over it :console:

Love them :teeth:

And I know. I just want it to happen now :sigh:
Enjoy being you, your life, and what you are doing with it. If a fling comes along, take it, if a guy comes along, take him! Do whatever feels right at the time, and don't worry about not being in a relationship, it's better to wait for the right guy than get with the wrong guy and miss opportunities.
Nothing.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
Love them :teeth:

And I know. I just want it to happen now :sigh:

Go hang out in the biochemistry lab, you'll meet your perfect guy :p:

Yeah, well, join the queue I suppose. You've made the effort by joining societies etc, now you've just got to wait for it to happen...
Original post by Casshern1456
The fact that you enjoy flings means your off my list.

Fact that you judge someone on that means that you're off mine. :wink:
Seems like we're in agreement.

Flings for me, fyi, mean like 3 week - 2 month 'seeing each other' things that don't progress. Not one night stands. Just clarifying for other people.
(edited 13 years ago)
Doesn't everybody! I sympathise I really do but as has already been said - a watched kettle never boils. It will come when you least expect it! Think about the last flings you had, I'm sure they sort of came out of the blue too.
Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to when things happen.
It sounds like you are being quite Proactive and are meeting new people in which case you are halfway there :smile:
Fact that you judge someone on that means that you're off mine. :wink:
Seems like we're in agreement.

Flings for me, fyi, mean like 3 week - 2 month 'seeing each other' things that don't progress. Not one night stands. Just clarifying for other people.

I'm glad you clarified ... your back on my list lol

jk ofc:colone:
Go hang out in the biochemistry lab, you'll meet your perfect guy :p:

Yeah, well, join the queue I suppose. You've made the effort by joining societies etc, now you've just got to wait for it to happen...

I do spend quite a lot of time there :tongue:
I do spend quite a lot of time there :tongue:

Go up to one of the geeks
"Want to be my substrate?" :sexface:
??????
Profit!

:wink:
Go up to one of the geeks
"Want to be my substrate?" :sexface:
??????
Profit!

:wink:

If I could be any enzyme, I'd be DNA helicase so I could unzip your jeans :sexface:
With a username like that you seem too smart.

Maybe, try to lose weight?
i enjoy being single :biggrin: im in uni and im young i dont wana be in a serious commited relantionship ( it doesnt make sense anyway cause im gona be working in the states for 5 months next year) and i live a few hours away from home when im at uni so a relantionship cudnt work lol
sex on tap would be nice though very nice ha lol

but all the hassle and drama when it comes to bf's is just like ya id rather pass thanks :smile: but if i meet a lad who is dead on then mayb who knows

so i dont think there is anything wrong with op at all
Reply 15

I haven't even had a fling in a while and so now I miss sex too! -- adding to the fears that there is something wrong with me.

Yeah I know what you mean, rest assured your not the only one going through this phase..I was under the delusion that going to university significantly increased your chances of finding the right person, but its been nearly 2 years and nothing serious has happened yet..I guess the only way to get round it is to put yourself into as many social situations as possible and hope for the best!:smile:
Original post by Simplicity
With a username like that you seem too smart.

Maybe, try to lose weight?

Well I can't change my intelligence :smile:

I am losing weight, slowly but steadily.
Try speed dating or internet dating? :dontknow:
Reply 18
Well I can't change my intelligence :smile:

Yes you can :smile:

Seriously though, I know what you mean. Been single for 4 years now, and several girls have liked me in that time. But unfortunately I naturally act like a normal friend, even with girls I like- so I'm constantly friendzoned :frown:. Really is shít. Am just sick of waiting for it to work... the worst bit is, I know the chance of it happening tomorrow is something in the region of 1/1400...
(edited 13 years ago)
Doubt there's anything wrong with you, but don't look so hard for a guy, you are more likely to find a guy when you don't expect it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending