The Student Room Group

How will having a mild-moderate stutter affect my future?

I will study business at undergrad, next year, and then hopefully do law at graduate level.

But i have a stutter. Im doing really well in my studies but I just think that having this stutter will affect my future.

For example, imagine if i have to give an interview, then i start stuttering and blocking. Why would the company take me? If i had to meet someone and i start stuttering, what will there first impression be?

thanks

Scroll to see replies

Well, if you have to ever give a presentation it will affect that unfortunately. There are ways to get rid of your stutter of course, lots of documentation available on the internet.
Reply 2
Are you asking this question so you can decide whether or not to address your stutter?
Reply 3
i watched a fish called wanda (again) just yesterday...
didnt seem to affect ken too much

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr9qX9k1Y98
I have a very mild stutter, though it only really manifests itself when I'm talking to a group of people... I can speak to close friends and large audiences without a problem. But I don't think people perceive it as nervousness or a lack of confidence, it's just something I do now and then without much reason.

If you have a stutter the main thing is to not let it affect your confidence... if you can't get the words out don't try to pointlessly struggle through; stop speaking, take a breath, then start the sentence again.
(edited 13 years ago)
People will forever try to complete your sentences for you. You just have to perfect your death glare so they stop.
Reply 6
It will **** your radio broadcasting career up no end but for everything else, I think you will be fine. I don't think many people would hold it against you in an interview, most people are aware that nerves makes stuttering worse anyway.
My Sociology Seminar tutor at Uni has a stutter and he is the most confident, impressive guy ever. He does lectures as well and is easily the best lecturer. What a guy, don't get me started..
Reply 8
but if i plan to have a career where i have to meet people regularly, give presenetations etc.... wont that be affected?

also, wont giving a bad interview screw up ur chances of getting a job?
I have the same problem, I can talk to friends and some family members without a problem, but when I'm nervous or haven't spoken for a long time I start stuttering :frown:
Original post by --Butters--
I will study business at undergrad, next year, and then hopefully do law at graduate level.

But i have a stutter. Im doing really well in my studies but I just think that having this stutter will affect my future.

For example, imagine if i have to give an interview, then i start stuttering and blocking. Why would the company take me? If i had to meet someone and i start stuttering, what will there first impression be?

thanks

instead of expecting the entire world to change for you why dont you do something about it yourself? Why not take a class that will help get rid of the stutter or look online for something?

And thats a positive as it shows you take steps to improve yourself.
but if i plan to have a career where i have to meet people regularly, give presenetations etc.... wont that be affected?

also, wont giving a bad interview screw up ur chances of getting a job?

yes a bad interview will effectively rule you out of that paricular job.
Reply 12

thanks

Do not listen to anyone telling you to 'get rid of your stutter' !

I have a stammer and have stammered for years.

People will tell you that there are cures, that you need to calm down, that you're stressed, that perhaps your breathing needs to change.

The only way (and I say this from going to speech therapy since I was 11, I am now 18) is to accept that your stammer is part of who you are.

There is nothing wrong with it. It's how you speak. If people can't be bothered waiting a few seconds extra to hear what you're trying to say, quite frankly they're not worth talking to.

As well as this, it will NOT AFFECT YOUR FUTURE WHATSOEVER.
This is a common misconception. I have applied for law this year (and have had several interviews) and the way I handled it was by telling them I have a stammer before the interview begun.

I aim to be a barrister- the fact that I stammer will only stop me realising this if I let it.

PM me if you like- anyone telling you to change it/hide it/that it will stop you is speaking out of what they percieve to be right, not the truth.

http://www.stammering.org/cure.html

(This is the Bristish Stammer Association talking about 'cures' and how no one 'cure' can work for everyone because the causes and natures of stammers are all different)

Good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Go into academia. They're all crackheads.

Which is why I'm heading in that direction :emo:
I got to shadow a doctor who also had a mild stutter, it sorta was every other sentence, maybe that's a more than mild? I dunno but it didn't affect him or his job very much. He was working at the A&E so he met people regularly but it never mattered to them because he knew what he was talking about, the stutter didn't affect his intelligence so I dont think it was a problem, u got used to it after a couple of minutes. So dont worry, it probably would help if u could work on it so that u wont have to think about it. Though a hospital environment is different from a business one, so I dunno. But still he met a lot of people and it didnt bother them or me or his coworkers :smile:
As long as you're good at small talk I can't see it being a problem. I on the other hand completely suck at small talk a few examples.

I walk into a bookies about 20 miles from where I live, completely randomly I see 3 of my mates there the first thing I say to them is " oh I've come to place a bet.. how about you?"

Another time in the apartment building I live in there is a hot reception woman. I go out jogging quite a bit and I went down to get my mail and she asks ( I've never talked to her before) " Not going out for a run today runner boy?" "Nah *5 second pause* my last run made my nipples bleed" "Oh" she says.. " Yeah...."
Reply 16
I bet it is nothing like that Liberal Democrat MEP [Andrew Duff]... His speech impediments are crazy.
Reply 17
It won't stop you from doing what you want. Only you can do that.
Reply 18
If your stutter is a natural one. You cant help it !! Let it go its way and you go your way !
Not unless you join this company. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending