The Student Room Group

Healthcare science (clinical physiology) 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaam8

Original post by jaam8
I've had an offer come through from leeds on ucas, but I don't know how to get started on applying for trainee jobs :s does anyone know?
I've had a look on NHS jobs but there are no trainee positions on there

Congrats :smile: I'm in the same situation with this course, so happy to get my offer through! I think the way it works is that Leeds will write to us and let us know about all the positions that will be available in the Yorkshire area (20 I believe) and we pick which ones we want to apply for. I think we'll have to fill out forms to apply for these and then there are interviews for them all around May time (they said they were planning on doing them all on one day so that people wouldn't have to keep travelling in and getting time out of work/school). I'm keeping an eye out on NHS jobs as well though but I don't think they'll start appearing on there just yet.
Reply 21
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Congrats :smile: I'm in the same situation with this course, so happy to get my offer through! I think the way it works is that Leeds will write to us and let us know about all the positions that will be available in the Yorkshire area (20 I believe) and we pick which ones we want to apply for. I think we'll have to fill out forms to apply for these and then there are interviews for them all around May time (they said they were planning on doing them all on one day so that people wouldn't have to keep travelling in and getting time out of work/school). I'm keeping an eye out on NHS jobs as well though but I don't think they'll start appearing on there just yet.

Wahooo! Congrats on your offer too :biggrin:
Okay, so I'm doing the right thing by constantly checking nhs jobs? haha, yeah maybe there will be more on there when its gets nearer to march/april sort of time. Which interview day did you go on? Are you doing a-levels at the moment? :smile:
Original post by jaam8
Wahooo! Congrats on your offer too :biggrin:
Okay, so I'm doing the right thing by constantly checking nhs jobs? haha, yeah maybe there will be more on there when its gets nearer to march/april sort of time. Which interview day did you go on? Are you doing a-levels at the moment? :smile:

I was on the tuesday... think it was the 25th Jan? They only let us know on the Friday so a bit short notice! Which were you at, maybe I saw you there :wink: yeah, I figure if we do both things then we can't go wrong! Apply for any through NHS jobs and wait to see if Leeds send us info as well. From what I've read from people who've done it in the past it can take a couple of months for them to start appearing though and at our presentation she said they'd be trying to do one day for all the interviews around May. Nah, I'm on an Access course right now. Kind of the same as A levels but squished into one year instead and for people over 19. Be interested to see who else has got offers!
Reply 23
Original post by heskey 123
Interview for cardiolgy and respiratory physiology - swansea in febuary :smile:

when did you send your ucas off?

i have my university of manchester interview tomorow :\ and got rejected from leeds
Hi everyone :smile:

I have applied to Manchester, Leeds and Swansea. I had my interview at Leeds on the 25th Jan and received an offer yesterday :smile: I'm sooo excited!! I was wondering if anyone knew how long it will take for them to send through some information? Has anyone had anything sent to them yet?

I also have an interview at Manchester tomorrow... eek :s-smilie: Anyone going??
Original post by Carys_Ellen91
Hi everyone :smile:

I have applied to Manchester, Leeds and Swansea. I had my interview at Leeds on the 25th Jan and received an offer yesterday :smile: I'm sooo excited!! I was wondering if anyone knew how long it will take for them to send through some information? Has anyone had anything sent to them yet?

I also have an interview at Manchester tomorrow... eek :s-smilie: Anyone going??

Hey :smile: you were there the same day as me, congrats on the offer. I haven't heard anything else from Leeds yet but pretty sure Rhona said the next lot of interviews for placements wouldnt be until about May, so they've got some time yet to let us know. Hope your Manchester interview went well!
Reply 26
Original post by Monica93
when did you send your ucas off?

i have my university of manchester interview tomorow :\ and got rejected from leeds

Hi
I sent it off at the start of november and heard back about a week ago,
good luck with that interview :smile:
Reply 27
hey, for those looking to apply for trainee jobs as a backup it seems they have changed it this year and only science graduates with 2.1+ can apply :frown: if anyone finds anything different please let me know :smile:
so hows everyones applications going?
Original post by Hayley-Anne
hey, for those looking to apply for trainee jobs as a backup it seems they have changed it this year and only science graduates with 2.1+ can apply :frown: if anyone finds anything different please let me know :smile:
so hows everyones applications going?

I noticed the same thing from all the jobs posted in the last couple of days :frown: bit annoying but it means that it'll be cheaper for them as they can cut out some of the modules and start off with someone at a higher level than a school leaver. Just crap for the rest of us!
Reply 29

I am in the same position, I have had an offer from Leeds, I had an interview from Swansea and still waiting to hear form them. For Leeds though has anyone had anything through the post from them explaining applying for trainee jobs on the nhs website? none seem to be on there?! I' m worrying haha.
Original post by amyb1993
I am in the same position, I have had an offer from Leeds, I had an interview from Swansea and still waiting to hear form them. For Leeds though has anyone had anything through the post from them explaining applying for trainee jobs on the nhs website? none seem to be on there?! I' m worrying haha.

No, I haven't heard anything from them at all, I've never received one letter from leeds. Nothing about an open day, the accommodation open day, an official offer letter.... nothing.
Reply 31
It's strange not hearing anything yet! The lady told me they would be slow sorting it all out so maybe that is it, we'll just have to wait:smile:. Leeds will be my first choice but Im still unsure about accommodation and everything because of not knowing where my hospital placement will be.
It's strange not hearing anything yet! The lady told me they would be slow sorting it all out so maybe that is it, we'll just have to wait:smile:. Leeds will be my first choice but Im still unsure about accommodation and everything because of not knowing where my hospital placement will be.

Same, I just want to know where I'll be so I can sort everything out and get excited about it! It's impossible to plan accommodation/cost of everything/think about what travel will be needed if you don't know where abouts in Yorkshire you'll be :confused:

I'm thinking about contacting them next week to see if they have any sort of timescale in mind, as all the training positions for graduates are already out on the NHS jobs website.
Reply 33
I was on the tuesday... think it was the 25th Jan? They only let us know on the Friday so a bit short notice! Which were you at, maybe I saw you there :wink: yeah, I figure if we do both things then we can't go wrong! Apply for any through NHS jobs and wait to see if Leeds send us info as well. From what I've read from people who've done it in the past it can take a couple of months for them to start appearing though and at our presentation she said they'd be trying to do one day for all the interviews around May. Nah, I'm on an Access course right now. Kind of the same as A levels but squished into one year instead and for people over 19. Be interested to see who else has got offers!

Yeah i was there on that day too haha! I was talking to someone in the waiting room before we went in and she'd done an access course.. maybe that was you :tongue:
did you have an interview at man met? i still haven't heard back from them yet :s
Has anyone received any information from Leeds about applying to jobs? I've been looking at the NHS website every few days but not quite sure what i'm looking for? Does anyone know any more about what we're supposed to do?
Original post by jaam8
Yeah i was there on that day too haha! I was talking to someone in the waiting room before we went in and she'd done an access course.. maybe that was you :tongue:
did you have an interview at man met? i still haven't heard back from them yet :s

Hah, yeah, that'll have been me probably :smile: my Manchester interview isn't until 7th April... really, really annoying because I can't even firm Leeds until I've heard back from them as my insurance!

Original post by Carys_Ellen91
Has anyone received any information from Leeds about applying to jobs? I've been looking at the NHS website every few days but not quite sure what i'm looking for? Does anyone know any more about what we're supposed to do?

I contacted Pat at Leeds by email and she rang me the next day. They haven't sent anything out to anyone yet and the jobs aren't up on NHS yet either. She said they expected the interviews to be in early June, so don't worry if you don't hear anything for a while (they were originally going to be in May but they've been pushed back), they should send stuff out to us all soon but I check NHS every few days anyway :wink:
Just in case anybody hasn't received it, Rhona sent out an email today giving a little bit of info on the placements available (nothing new really - just which places are taking students and whether Rhona thought it was reasonable to commute to/from Leeds and the best way to do this e.g. walking/car/public transport) and saying that we should now be checking for these placements to apply for them through the NHS jobs website - she said they'll all be up in April/May and should be up from April 14th onwards but some might take longer to appear than others. They're trying to do interviews on 2nd June but some places might not be able to hold them on this day, so they'll make alternative arrangements with applicants. So basically, sign up to NHS Jobs if you haven't already and start keeping your eyes peeled!

And received a letter in the post with the same information today.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Just in case anybody hasn't received it, Rhona sent out an email today giving a little bit of info on the placements available (nothing new really - just which places are taking students and whether Rhona thought it was reasonable to commute to/from Leeds and the best way to do this e.g. walking/car/public transport) and saying that we should now be checking for these placements to apply for them through the NHS jobs website - she said they'll all be up in April/May and should be up from April 14th onwards but some might take longer to appear than others. They're trying to do interviews on 2nd June but some places might not be able to hold them on this day, so they'll make alternative arrangements with applicants. So basically, sign up to NHS Jobs if you haven't already and start keeping your eyes peeled!

And received a letter in the post with the same information today.

Same :smile: can't wait to get applying for the jobs now, our application process has seemed very long :tongue:
I still haven't heard back from manchester met or swansea, getting worried. I really want to hear back from swansea so that i can firm and insurance my choices!! Have you heard back from swansea yet? :smile: (if you applied? i can't remember now..)
oo just noticed that you had your manchester interview today! how did it go?
Reply 38

Heyyy, I have an interview at Swansea on the 28th April (ridiculously late, it's going to be a bit of rushh!), I was wondering, what was it like? Do I need to prepare anything for it? Thanksss!
Original post by jaam8
Same :smile: can't wait to get applying for the jobs now, our application process has seemed very long :tongue:
I still haven't heard back from manchester met or swansea, getting worried. I really want to hear back from swansea so that i can firm and insurance my choices!! Have you heard back from swansea yet? :smile: (if you applied? i can't remember now..)
oo just noticed that you had your manchester interview today! how did it go?

I know! I just want to be able to get it all sorted! It's annoying not being able to even firm/insurance choices... I think it went ok :s a LOT of competition for the few places there are though! I didn't really feel like I got enough of a chance to sell myself, if that makes sense? They only asked about 4 questions, so I'd prepared loads of stuff that I expected them to ask about but they didn't.... just the waiting game now I suppose!

I think the first placement is up on NHS Jobs today. I haven't checked it yet but had an email. It's the one for Sheffield.

I didn't apply for Swansea, it's a little far for me as I'm trying to stay as far north as possible (my bf of the last 5 years is staying here), so makes it a little more difficult.

Fingers crossed for you to get an offer from them :smile:

EDIT: I've checked NHS Jobs and it's not one of the Leeds placements, it's a different one that's through DMU.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest