The Student Room Group

13inch or 15inch macbook pro

Okay I bought a Vaio and had a few problems with it, they are sending me a replacement but if problems persist, I'm going to demand a refund.And I think I'm gonna jump to the other side and join the world of Mac.
There is quite a big difference in terms of cost between the 13inch and 15inch. And wanted to know, do people on the 13inch find it comfortable to use (is it not a strain on the eyes when going on it for long periods of time? does the size of it bother you? etc.)
The 13inch is £850 where as the 15inch would set me back around 1300.
I wish there was a 14inch size available - it would be a lovely happy medium.
Oh and is it quiet i.e. is the fan quiet?
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have a 8 inch 'macbook pro' :wink:
Reply 2
Anyone?
Fans are super quiet on macs. Couldn't comment on the screen size.
You're in the same boat I was, My Vaio had continual problems and Sony's customer service was appalling, so I made the jump to a Mac =P

13" is fine for me, I spend multiple hours a day on mine with no problems whatsoever. Unless the jump in performance is important to you, I'd recommend the 13".

My Pro is pretty damn close to being silent, I lose track of when it's on or not sometimes. Obviously noise from a working optical drive is unavoidable, but aside from that I don't think I've ever heard mine make anything more than the occasional click or momentary whir. I can't speak for the newest line, however I assume there's little difference from my 2010.
Reply 5
I have the 15 inch as I thought the 13 inch was too small. The extra money is a bit steep but worth it as 15inch is the optimum imo. 13inch is too small, 17 inch is too big, but 15inch is just right. :smile:
I dunno if the fan is quite, but I suppose it is as I barely notice it. I can only hear it when I'm using a lot of the Mac power. :P

I'd get a Mac and get the 15inch. Also the brighter you make your screen, the brighter the Apple logo on the back of the screen glows! Its awesome..
Reply 6
15" would be better. Remember "size matters alot!" :wink:
Reply 7
I have a 13" mbp. Perfect for travelling, especially on trains/flights. Never needed anything more; although, for convenience, I use a larger external screen at home.
had a vaio, now have the 13" MBP, i think it's more versatile, you can carry it around more and it's more reliable than the vaio. If you don't really need it for games or graphics/design work, I say get 13, if you do then maybe the extra money is worth it for you.
13" as 15" for a MB/MBP looks big. And 13" is the perfect size for it
My 13" MBP is fine for me.
I travel quite a lot though (to my girlfriends and to home), and for me the 13" one is the perfect trade off between portability and screen size.
Reply 11
It depends on the type of tasks you'll be doing. I'll be upgrading to a MacBook Pro soon and will choose the 15" model (can't really justify the price of a 17" being a student...). I've had a 13" MacBook for over 2 years now and it's been a very good computer to me. However, I do a lot of coding and heavy tasks on it, therefore the screen real estate isn't the best. One of my projects at the minute is absolutely huge and whilst I can work perfectly fine in Eclipse, I constantly have to faff about by changing 'spaces' and minimising/maximising the screen all the time. I know 2" doesn't sound like a lot, but you'd be surprised.

In all, if you're a fairly light user then go for the 13". I've been able to cope perfectly well, even with the more technical tasks. However, if you like having a lot of stuff in front of you (like me), go for the 15". Perhaps I may have ADHD or something, but I insist on having more than one thing open at a given time, be it Chrome and my Calendar or iTunes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hedger
It depends on the type of tasks you'll be doing. I'll be upgrading to a MacBook Pro soon and will choose the 15" model. I've had a 13" MacBook for over 2 years now and it's been a very good computer to me. However, I do a lot of coding and heavy tasks on it, therefore the screen real estate isn't the best. One of my projects at the minute is absolutely huge and whilst I can work perfectly fine in Eclipse, I constantly have to faff about by changing 'spaces' and minimising/maximising the screen all the time. I know 2" doesn't sound like a lot, but you'd be surprised.

In all, if you're a fairly light user then go for the 13". I've been able to cope perfectly well, even with the more technical tasks. However, if you like having a lot of stuff in front of you (like me), go for the 15". Perhaps I may have ADHD or something, but I insist on having more than one thing open at a given time, be it Chrome and my Calendar or iTunes.

Surely you can just connect it to an external monitor if you need the extra screen space in some situations?

I always have multiple things open (I usually have Safari, MSN, iPlayer, iTunes and Transmission open), but I tend to use Spaces an awful lot. I'm got to the stage now where its as normal to me as minimizing things on Windows was. I have it set so certain applications will use certain spaces, and use the keyboard shortcuts, so it really isn't any fuss at all.

However, to the OP, go into an Apple shop and just try them out. See what you prefer.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by WelshBluebird
Surely you can just connect it to an external monitor if you need the extra screen space in some situations?

I always have multiple things open (I usually have Safari, MSN, iPlayer, iTunes and Transmission open), but I tend to use Spaces an awful lot. I'm got to the stage now where its as normal to me as minimizing things on Windows was.

That's certainly an option if you have an external monitor at hand. It's something I'm considering when I finish university - having my [future] Pro and one of the cinema screens they sell. However for now it's neither practical or feasible. Plus, I travel a fair amount at the moment and next year I'm due to start a job which requires being rather mobile. Therefore times when you're in a hotel, library or coffee shop, it's much better to have a slightly less mobile laptop with a bigger screen.

Even so, 15" laptops aren't that big, especially when you consider how sleek the MBP is!

Ditto to the Spaces thing. I couldn't work without it :biggrin:
Original post by Hedger
That's certainly an option if you have an external monitor at hand. It's something I'm considering when I finish university - having my [future] Pro and one of the cinema screens they sell. However for now it's neither practical or feasible. Plus, I travel a fair amount at the moment and next year I'm due to start a job which requires being rather mobile. Therefore times when you're in a hotel, library or coffee shop, it's much better to have a slightly less mobile laptop with a bigger screen.

Even so, 15" laptops aren't that big, especially when you consider how sleek the MBP is!

Ditto to the Spaces thing. I couldn't work without it :biggrin:

I suppose it depends on your own individual circumstances.

Right now, I am travelling on trains and buses and awful lot, and so the smaller size of the 13" MBP is perfect for me. Even though the 15" is small and light compared to my Dell 15" laptop that I had before my MBP, it would still be too big to use on the train / bus (the 13" is nearly too big on some trains / buses).

If I need to do anything that needs more screen space, then 90% of the time I will be in my room where I can just plug in my external monitor.
Reply 15
Original post by jabed786
Okay I bought a Vaio and had a few problems with it, they are sending me a replacement but if problems persist, I'm going to demand a refund.And I think I'm gonna jump to the other side and join the world of Mac.
There is quite a big difference in terms of cost between the 13inch and 15inch. And wanted to know, do people on the 13inch find it comfortable to use (is it not a strain on the eyes when going on it for long periods of time? does the size of it bother you? etc.)
The 13inch is £850 where as the 15inch would set me back around 1300.
I wish there was a 14inch size available - it would be a lovely happy medium.
Oh and is it quiet i.e. is the fan quiet?

Are those prices with student discount?
Reply 16
Original post by Nayberay
Are those prices with student discount?

Yes they are :smile:
I'd go 15". I've had one for years and have loved it.

I find 13" a little too small. Sometimes it annoying when you can't see a whole web page and if you ever want to do anything other than use the internet, the screen size can be a bit limiting.

Worth the extra expense if you can stretch that far I reckon..
Reply 18
Original post by Hedger
Yes they are :smile:

Wow thats awesome, how much would the 3 year Applecare come to on top of that?

Just planning because i'm getting one when the summer deals come out. :h:
Reply 19
From my personal experience, don't get a MacBook Pro. Right after my Warranty ran out the glass screen cover cracked, the new one wasn't able to adhere to the screen and I had to stick it together with black tape (not before dust went inside all over the place), some of the function keys have stopped working, one of the USB ports (out of two) has failed, the disc drive has completely failed, the heat dispersal system is causing the plastic beneath the screen to crack and break away, the batteries die the moment they're unplugged and one of the speakers have fizzed away.

In other news, OS X is sexeh and the physical design is brilliant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending