The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm actually going to subscribe to this thread just to see his academic achievements. Considering you aren't too bothered about prestige and if money isn't too much of an issue definitely go for MIT. Best uni for engineering in the world and I think the course is what you really want. Also, I think it would definitely help you in the future having the MIT name, if you wanted to come back and work in the UK as if it were you or a graduate from Imperial say, go for the same job I would be inclined to think you would get the offer provided grades were similar. Go you btw for all those ridiculously amazing offers!!
Congratulations!

I would say if the only thing that matters to you is engineering, and you are absolutely sure that is what you want to do in the future, then see what you can do about finance for MIT, or pick Imperial. Also, go through every prospectus, and check all of the details. Get in touch with them and make sure you haven't missed anything, like opportunities to study for a year at other unis, close connections with any companies you are interested in, work experience options you just can't get anywhere else etc.

Good Luck!
Original post by The medjai
Employers care more about the uni you went to than degree that's why I say Harvard. And if he didn't want to go to America, why would he waste his money sitting SAT's and uni applications?

And you know that from what experience?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by jokesexplained
Hmmm...
To answer this properly, I think it would be best to consult the medium most would turn to in this situation.
Movies.

MIT - 21. Good movie (and Kevin Spacey gives anything credibility)
Harvard - The Social Network. Also, good movie (although Justin Timberlake... really?)

(Feck England, no one wants to shoot a movie here)

Based on the above, I'd have to say Harvard as the Social Network won some kind of movie-award, whereas I picked up 21 in Tesco's bargain bucket.

Hope this helps.

dont forget, MIT was in good will hunting too..
Reply 64
Why the Samuel Hell Jackson did Bath reject you?! :lolwut:
MIT is clearly the best choice for your particular needs (it blows the others out of the water for Aerospace engineering). You really don't need to worry about it being a repeat of year 13, the maths and physics you cover at first year in MIT is the same you would cover in first year on a UK physics/engineering course. Even if you find a particular course too easy you can always take a more advanced version of it in the US. You really don't need to worry about not being challenged.

Harvard obviously is a great (the best?) brand but since you seem very set on engineering MIT is almost certainly the better option for you.

If you decide MIT is too expensive the choice becomes a bit more tricky. Personally I think imperial is a bit of dump (the people I know who went there (admittedly only 4) didn't have a particularly good time), and I (not being an engineer) would choose a full scholarship at Harvard over Cambridge without a second's hesitation, but Cambridge is the stronger uni for engineering and saves you the liberal arts component you seem to be wary of.

If you get an attractive financial package from Stanford that is definitely also worth considering. It's not quite MIT but is still very strong for engineering and the campus and lifestyle are absolutely lush.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by jokesexplained
Hmmm...
To answer this properly, I think it would be best to consult the medium most would turn to in this situation.
Movies.

MIT - 21. Good movie (and Kevin Spacey gives anything credibility)
Harvard - The Social Network. Also, good movie (although Justin Timberlake... really?)

(Feck England, no one wants to shoot a movie here)

Based on the above, I'd have to say Harvard as the Social Network won some kind of movie-award, whereas I picked up 21 in Tesco's bargain bucket.

Hope this helps.

That is the greatest sentence I have ever seen.:rofl:
You got into FRIGGING HARVARD?? And Cambridge and Imperial? Wow!
I'd go for Harvard! You must be amazing!
Reply 68
I am so jealous. I wish I didn't **** about so much in 1st year and wasted my opportunity to go to North America to study.

....I'm off to H&R lol.

(In for OP's CV)
Reply 69
You seemed to have missed out Caltech??........IT'S ****ING CALTECH! I suppose they don't have any amazing engineering ties....oh wait, just ****ing NASA!?!? The NASA research laboratory is on the campus FFS.

MIT and Caltech are 2 of the best engineering institutes in the world, fact. Caltech is in Pasadena too! Cali baby! Where MIT is located (Cambridge, Massachusetts) it's a very expensive place to reside in according to friends that live there.

I didn't know Harvard study was as 'rounded' as people are making out, down the wish list it goes :P

I await your info too...
(edited 13 years ago)
It's a tough one. But as you have had so many offers. may I suggest that the boot is on the other foot. Universities exist as much for the benefit of their staff as for students, if not more so.

But having glittering alumni helps to keep the dons on their toes.

Play one university against another. If one makes an offer, ask for a better one from a competitor. Don't be shy.

As someone who has studied at both Oxford and Cambridge, I would very highly recommend against both, unless you want to grapple with medieval feudalism.

In the USA there is more of a concept of a student being a consumer. In the UK, where most students receive subsidies, they have the status of serfs and raising a complaint is almost impossible.

Good luck and keep us posted.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm sorry but if I'm correct, Harvard posts decisions on the http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/application_process/email.html 28th of March. So I don't know how you received an offer so soon.
Reply 72
Original post by CookieGhoul

I was wondering about that too.... did you have a likely letter?
Original post by CookieGhoul
I'm sorry but if I'm correct, Harvard posts decisions on the http://www.admissions.college.harvard.edu/apply/application_process/email.html 28th of March. So I don't know how you received an offer so soon.
Original post by dearyme
Why the Samuel Hell Jackson did Bath reject you?! :lolwut:

They probably looked at his PS and thought "there's no way he's coming here, reject".

Unis do this often, apparently.
subscribe just to see the grades! :biggrin:
Reply 75
Don't underestimate the benefits of a well rounded institution. I already made that mistake for you. On that basis I'd say Harvard or Cambridge.

Also don't go somewhere just because its closer to home you'll regret it, and moving away from home is part of the experience. I also made that mistake too.

I'm trying to correct both I've got emails from Nottingham and Manchester about changing to Physics (inronically I'm thinking about leaving the course you're currently applying for Mechanical Engineering)
Reply 76
Hi there,

I do Aero Eng at Imperial, first year, and I got to say its been an amazing experience so far. I really enjoy the course and most of the lecturers are fantastic! The workload is tough but you will more than manage it.

However, given the opportunity I would probably choose MIT just because they have a better prestige than Imperial. Also I think there is an Imperial MIT transfer scheme for Aero students in the third year (best of both worlds) so I am hoping to apply to that but doubt I will get it.

I didn't apply to Oxbridge, because I only wanted to do Aero Eng and only Imperial offers it at such a high class in the UK.

HawkSpark
Reply 77
OP: What are your academics?
Original post by wanderlust.xx
They probably looked at his PS and thought "there's no way he's coming here, reject".

Unis do this often, apparently.

'Apparently' being based on conjecture. Universities don't really do this, because they don't know what the applicant prioritises and, therefore, why lose out on a good student?
FINALLY . MiT decisions are out. I got a rejection. BUT I know that Harvard hasnt. SO come on ! The OP has suddenly disappeared. He doesnt talk about his academics.

Latest

Trending

Trending