The Student Room Group

Would you *ever* give up your ideal dreams/future/career for your perfect partner?

Scroll to see replies

Career.

As Tim Minchin says...
Reply 141
Original post by Advanced Subsidiary
Can this question apply to me too?

Yes, I will willingly go forward with my dreams.

this made made me lol for some reason.

I understand your point. 1 soul dies to save 1000 souls.
Original post by im so academic
OK, I have an ultimate question for you to challenge you:

*You haven't exactly achieved your perfect future, but you're on course for it. (And in my time machine, you will achieve it, providing you answer yes to this next question). Then you meet your perfect partner, and metaphorically speaking, she would have to die in order for you to pursue your dream. Would you let her "die" to achieve your dream? (Interpret the word "die" in whatever way you want. I.e. in literally terms, or see her on the arms of another man).

It's not as straight forward as just picking one or the other.

My situation atm would mean I go for the career option.

BUT on your hypothetical situation, I wouldn't more or less kill someone I love in order to pursue my career. As someone said, when you retire you'd have nothing left except a big pension. I don't think money would bring you happiness if you're old and lonely.
She said I can interpret "die" in any way.. and believe you me, saving a potential 6.5 billion people is worth the death of one individual.

Oh I see. My bad. But still, harsh call!
I'd go with the ideal future. It's going to be pretty difficult for me when I'm older to find a stable partner anyway seeing as I plan to move around a lot, so a perfect partner would be even more difficult. I've got so many things I want to do and those experiences, although a perfect partner would be pretty awesome, are experiences that I can't give up. I do plan to have children eventually but that can be done without a partner too. And anyway, you don't need a partner to be blissfully happy!
Original post by T-Toe
this made made me lol for some reason.

I understand your point. 1 soul dies to save 1000 souls.

Precisely.

However, even if it was something like to become the greatest football player that ever lived - hmm, it depends on how strongly you think about your dreams/future.

Those who know what they want, usually get it.
Reply 146
Partner all the way. I would live in a cardboard box if I had to.
As Lady Gaga said......."Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore. "....thats one I'll always listen too!
Original post by Smelly Ellie
Oh I see. My bad. But still, harsh call!

I know, but when you feel strongly about something - when you have a mission that must be completed, you won't be deviated from that goal - no matter how important that person is to you.
of course, if the partner was PERFECT then they would be 100% supportive of you chasing your dream job.

this is a tough one though. you never know what you would chose until you are in that situation. you think you know, but believe me, it's different when it actually happens ;-)
Reply 150
Original post by im so academic
Sorry, that doesn't count. I'm talking about two distinct options.

That's paradoxical discrimination, yo.
I know, but when you feel strongly about something - when you have a mission that must be completed, you won't be deviated from that goal - no matter how important that person is to you.

It's a good job that in the real world we can have both :smile:
Original post by Deema
Perfect partner, because I value relationships and family more than money. I see both options as being successful but I don't think I would be AS happy with a perfect career.

I think people still don't understand the question. Though if you did, aplogies on my part.
Original post by Smelly Ellie
It's a good job that in the real world we can have both :smile:

Perfect Partner and Perfect Future? It's possible.

Want to go on a date? :wink:
perfect partner of course

work can take me in a new life!
no, I would never do it again. I did it once and was totally ****ed up when he had gone.

career is what you can influence and do on your own but you can´t manipulate a human being or at least you shouldn´t.
Perfect partner :smile:
They'd be my future and dreams , I can have new ones with them :smile:
Perfect Partner and Perfect Future? It's possible.

Want to go on a date? :wink:

Sorry babes, taken. But I will get back to you if they leave to pursue a perfect career alone :smile:
Original post by Rebecca:Rose
As Lady Gaga said......."Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore. "....thats one I'll always listen too!

Your career will NEVER tell you it loves you.
Reply 159
Perfect career (dictator of all land mass on earth), as it enables pretty much anything. Try telling me I can't have both when I run everything, OP!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending