The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone? Thanks
£1500-2000 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Anyone? Thanks

There are three bands for dental treatment on the NHS, and I think braces are in the top band which is around £200. (I could be wrong but ask your dentist for more details on orthodontic treatment).

Check ups are £16.50
Treatments e.g. fillings and extractions are £45.60
Crowns, dentures and braces etc. are £198

If you go private, orthodontic treatment could cost thousands. It really depends on whether you need treatment now or you are willing to wait.
(edited 13 years ago)
Free from the NHS.

Otherwise it's 2000 quid for steel braces, and 3000 for transparent ones.
Reply 5
I had mine at 19 it took 2 years and all together is was around 2250 and that was 8 years ago but i paid mine off monthly.
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
Free from the NHS.

It's not free and it's nowhere near £2000. More like £200-300.

I was referred when I was 15 but the waiting list was something like 4 years long then by the time they would see me I would have had to pay so couldn't get them - pretty annoying!

Actually, the people quoting high figures are probably going private. Which makes sense if the waiting lists are as bad everywhere as they are around me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Free from the NHS.

Not if you're over 18 and don't fit into any of the exceptions.

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Dentalcosts.aspx
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
£2725 if I didn't have them on NHS. May as well go all out for invisalign
Original post by NeonSkies
Not if you're over 18 and don't fit into any of the exceptions.

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Dentalcosts.aspx

That's why you get them before your 18.

I went to get them at 14, been on the waiting list for nearly 3 years but I'm getting them in June.
mine were around £3000, with extras when i constantly managed to break them.
Reply 12
Thank you for the advice given, really appreciate it.

Is there anyway to get help with the costs for REALLY bad cases of teeth? I'm not looking to get it done for cosmetic reasons, but purely for the fact it's severely impacting on my life (and has done for a long time) psychologically.

Thanks
That's why you get them before your 18.

I went to get them at 14, been on the waiting list for nearly 3 years but I'm getting them in June.

The OP is 21 years old so they don't qualify to get free treatment so what you're saying doesn't really help her.

3 years on a waiting list? I was on a list for a year on the NHS but I was 11 when I had them done so that was 7 years ago, things have probably changed since then.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you for the advice given, really appreciate it.

Is there anyway to get help with the costs for REALLY bad cases of teeth? I'm not looking to get it done for cosmetic reasons, but purely for the fact it's severely impacting on my life (and has done for a long time) psychologically.

Thanks

You're best off speaking to your dentist about the possibilities of getting help with your treatment, especially if you are on a low income/receiving income support etc. they will know exactly what you need and what you are entitled to.
Reply 15
Will do. Thanks
Reply 16
Anywhere between £1200-£4000. Orthodontics is expensive.
This is why I want to be a orthodontist. :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by RP-MRU.
Anywhere between £1200-£4000. Orthodontics is expensive.

:eek::eek:
Yeah, the prices annoyed me too. I am 20, I have one tooth out of line, at the front, and it hurts sooo much. I complained to the dentist and he said that I have to pay (more?) because it's 'for cosmetic reasons'. What the hell?

I think I'm going to see a different dentist...

Latest

Trending

Trending