The Student Room Group

Can I get JSA for the period I never claimed?

I left university in June 2010, signed on JSA in Feb 2011. Can I claim JSA for those 8 months?
Reply 1
...no
Reply 2
No you should have back asked for a back dating form at your first jsa interview its too late now
Reply 3
Original post by aprilterri
No you should have back asked for a back dating form at your first jsa interview its too late now

why is it too late?
Reply 4
Original post by yozzo
why is it too late?

because at your first appointment you should have asked for a form as that is when they would have been willing to consider it. They wont consider it now because you've been claiming for a while. You can still ask at you next appointment I guess.
Reply 5
Not to mention they will ask the question "What did you do in that time to search for jobs?" As you would have to be seeking to be eligible for JSA through that time I'd imagine.
Original post by aprilterri
because at your first appointment you should have asked for a form as that is when they would have been willing to consider it. They wont consider it now because you've been claiming for a while. You can still ask at you next appointment I guess.

I doubt any member of staff would seriously consider backdating for 8 months. A couple of weeks is usually fine and acceptable, 8 months is just stupid.
Reply 7
Original post by gateshipone
I doubt any member of staff would seriously consider backdating for 8 months. A couple of weeks is usually fine and acceptable, 8 months is just stupid.

This is exactly what I mean. They've waited far too long
Reply 8
They said in my letter that they won't backdate mine for 3 weeks :frown:
Reply 9
can i get it backdated for a shorter period then?
Reply 10
Original post by yozzo
can i get it backdated for a shorter period then?

Depends , because i told them i only got told my job job ended a few days before i applied for JSA and they wouldn't let me backdate mine :frown:

I doubt they will let you because they will just say you should have signed on earlier .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending