The Student Room Group

Ladies: How do you feel about your body? At peace or at war?

Alright. I'm kind of bored and I have to go shopping this afternoon since it's Spring now. And as always I'm absolutely bricking myself because I know I'll have to face the changing room mirrors soon. 3 way mirrors, bad lighting, having to ask a smirking assistant for a size bigger. I threw a shoe at my reflection the last time. I missed. Fml.

I hate my body. I hate having to pay £30-£40 for a bra that looks like a straitjacket. And I hate that I cannot wear the clothes I like because the skinnies have a monopoly on all the good stuff. I hate that all my friends are taller and willowy. Right now I'm 38-24-38 at 5''9.5 (curvy/banana?) but I want to be 34-24-34 or something that is at least thin before I start uni. I'm ashamed to say I care more about those numbers than the AAA offers I need to meet.

Slim girls, how do you maintain your figure? Is it as difficult and miserable as they say?

Curvy, don't you feel overly sexualised? Don't you hate feeling like a heifer?!

All girls, how do you feel about your body? Ratings out of 10 please? I think I would give mine 3/10 because I grew from 5"5 to 5"9 in the past year which has helped elongate my body. That is about it.

Mods: Anon or delete. Don't move it to Fashion and Beauty please because it's more about our insecurities than fashion. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Curvy > skinny.

Just gonna throw that out there.

Apparently no one likes curvy figures...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

Alright. I'm kind of bored and I have to go shopping this afternoon since it's Spring now. And as always I'm absolutely bricking myself because I know I'll have to face the changing room mirrors soon. 3 way mirrors, bad lighting, having to ask a smirking assistant for a size bigger. I threw a shoe at my reflection the last time. I missed. Fml.

I hate my body. I hate having to pay £30-£40 for a bra that looks like a straitjacket. And I hate that I cannot wear the clothes I like because the skinnies have a monopoly on all the good stuff. I hate that all my friends are taller and willowy. Right now I'm 38-24-38 at 5''9.5 (curvy/banana?) but I want to be 34-24-34 or something that is at least thin before I start uni. I'm ashamed to say I care more about those numbers than the AAA offers I need to meet.

Slim girls, how do you maintain your figure? Is it as difficult and miserable as they say?

Curvy, don't you feel overly sexualised? Don't you hate feeling like a heifer?!

All girls, how do you feel about your body? Ratings out of 10 please? I think I would give mine 3/10 because I grew from 5"5 to 5"9 in the past year which has helped elongate my body. That is about it.

Mods: Anon or delete. Don't move it to Fashion and Beauty please because it's more about our insecurities than fashion. Thanks.

I am very insecure about my body, and would like to be smaller.
I have never been happy in my skin, even when I was thinner. When I was a size 10 I could never find pretty clothes in my size, and now I am bigger its done a reversal and all the nice clothes are in small sizes.
Reply 3
I wanted to add a poll but TSR won't let me. :angry:
Im a recovering anorexic+ bulimic and have been in recovery for almost a year. I know what it feels like. :smile: But now Im at peace even though I have scars from cutting and a bad immune system which I didnt have before because at the end of the day health is more important being a size 0. Dont starve yourself. Its all in your mind. :smile:
I used to be quite happy with my body. I've never been "slim" as such, and have to really watch what I eat in order to stay at a normal size, but at 9 stone 7 and 5 foot 7 I felt pretty good. My weight has crept up since December though and I'm now 10 stone 5 and HATE it! My jeans are getting tight and I refuse to buy a size bigger! I would give my body 4/10 at the moment, it used to be 6.5/10 though.
It wouldn't be so bad if my weight was distributed evenly, but it's not, I still have a relatively slim torso but have massive thighs and bottom. Jeans shopping is an absolute nightmare. I also get fat on my knees, so they look hideous in dresses at the moment, which is annoying because it's so lovely and sunny outside. Operation diet is starting next week when I go home for Easter. It's my boyfriend's 21st in May, so I want to lose half a stone for then.
At war without one shadow of a doubt. You know if you feel fat as a UK size 4, you've got a problem :sad: I'm beating it....but progress is slow.
Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~
I used to be quite happy with my body. I've never been "slim" as such, and have to really watch what I eat in order to stay at a normal size, but at 9 stone 7 and 5 foot 7 I felt pretty good. My weight has crept up since December though and I'm now 10 stone 5 and HATE it! My jeans are getting tight and I refuse to buy a size bigger! I would give my body 4/10 at the moment, it used to be 6.5/10 though.
It wouldn't be so bad if my weight was distributed evenly, but it's not, I still have a relatively slim torso but have massive thighs and bottom. Jeans shopping is an absolute nightmare. I also get fat on my knees, so they look hideous in dresses at the moment, which is annoying because it's so lovely and sunny outside. Operation diet is starting next week when I go home for Easter. It's my boyfriend's 21st in May, so I want to lose half a stone for then.

I wish I was your weight :frown:
Reply 8
I'm at peace with my body.

Do I love mirrors and shopping and trying on clothing in bad light? No.

But I am who I am, and so long as I am healthy, in reasonably good physical condition than I have something to smile about. :smile:

Am I a bit too curvy, sure. But I look well proportioned in clothing and have a reasonably solid hour glass figure. Will I always want to lose 10lbs-1stone, sure, but if I don't I am still happy with my body.
Reply 9
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
At war without one shadow of a doubt. You know if you feel fat as a UK size 4, you've got a problem :sad: I'm beating it....but progress is slow.

That girl wearing the red gown in your avatar has the body I want. But I would have to go on a diet of Coke Zero and meth to get it because it is simply unachievable thanks to my bone structure. Why are you not happy with a size 4 if I may ask? I would love to be that slim.

Original post by ~Amy-Eliza~

Same. I avoid stores like TopShop because their sizing is offensive. I need bigger jeans but my ego won't allow it. rolleyes:

That girl wearing the red gown in your avatar has the body I want. But I would have to go on a diet of Coke Zero and meth to get it because it is simply unachievable thanks to my bone structure. Why are you not happy with a size 4 if I may ask? I would love to be that slim.

Same. I avoid stores like TopShop because their sizing is offensive. I need bigger jeans but my ego won't allow it. rolleyes:

I think she means that the feeling that being a size 4 and feeling fat is what she doesn't like.
Reply 11
size 10 in the UK or a US size 8
on a good day.....6/10
on a bad day........2/10

it's a hard knock life :/
Oh and for rating myself, I would put it pretty low on the scale 1.5/2 out of 10.

In 2 words; eating disorder.

Couple of people close to me died last year and it affected me greatly. Im a hell of a lot better now, but Im never happy with my body!
Hate. Hate.
Me and my body are at...WAR!!

that is all...
Reply 16
Complete war with mine i hate it. Im going on holiday in July with my three friends all with perfect figures =( i went on a diet and am still on it now im only 5ft 2 so girls i no my size are really reallly petite i want to be petite not chubby. Iv lost a lot but tbh i dont think i will ever be happy with my body a lot of girls are so insecure about there bodies that it seems natural to want to be thinnner than you already are. Nothing is evergoing to seem perfect even if it was. oh andon a scale prob about 2.5/10
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Hate. Hate.

But you're beautiful :smile:
WAAAARRRRR!

Not happy with anything. I've lost a stone since starting uni so I'm looking much better than I did before, but I still want to lose more and tone up generally. My height and bone structure mean it's difficult not to look huge, I wish I could be skinny :sad:
Reply 19
Original post by thru sun and rain
Oh and for rating myself, I would put it pretty low on the scale 1.5/2 out of 10.

Ouch. Why? What do you hate about it? I'm sure it is not as bad as you think!

Original post by Miss_Scarlett
In 2 words; eating disorder.

Couple of people close to me died last year and it affected me greatly. Im a hell of a lot better now, but Im never happy with my body!

That must be awful. I'm really scared of developing an eating disorder at this stage in my academic life myself tbh. I have started getting random destructive thoughts and I fear I'll sabotage myself out of university. I hope you continue to get better though. You're quite foxy as it is. No homo. :cute:

Thank God I'm not alone in this. It is reassuring to see in people's answers that I'm not a freak but kind of demoralising at the same time to see so many young girls (and probably guys) hate themselves.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending