The Student Room Group

Would you deny a job to somebody with tattoos?

Since many people have tattoos now, then does it make sense to deny people jobs on that basis?

More to the point here, do people who make arguments that undesirable traits make one unemployable just protecting their own beliefs, or think that society is ultra-conservative? OK, everybody has their own views in life, but I don't think many people hate tattoos or piercings, at the least they're more accepted than they used to be.

What if a firm's clientele didn't find tattoos or piercings offensive? Why then should it matter? I don't have tattoos or piercings, but surely it depends on the views/attitudes of the top management of a company, and the opinions of customers. I don't see how it matters in an absolute sense.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
depends on the nature of the job and the location of the tattoos
Reply 2
yes
Reply 3
I wouldn't, I'd hire the right person for the job, regardless of piercings or tattoos.
Reply 4
Depends. If they had a tattoo of a swastika on their forehead, I'd think twice about it. :holmes:
Reply 5
Nah, it wouldn't make any difference.
Original post by Hylean
I wouldn't, I'd hire the right person for the job, regardless of piercings or tattoos.

What if having a tattoo or piercing didn't make them the right person for the job? Surely you'd have to take it into consideration then?
Reply 7
Original post by RollerBall
What if having a tattoo or piercing didn't make them the right person for the job? Surely you'd have to take it into consideration then?

The only places such things would have any impact are jobs I won't be working in, so it's a non-issue.
from what i know about the hr department at the place i work:
- regularly make a point about the 'no visible tattoos' rules in the dress/appearance code
- they have fired people for seemingly 'minor' body modifications (like this one guy with those big holes in the ear lobes)
- they ask about tattoos (+ piercings) when interviewing candidates for jobs
- have been known to turn down people who dont look 'right' for the job, even if the applicants other credentials are good enough

if i was ever to be entrusted with hr/management type of job, in the career field i want to be involved in, i would also be very anti-tattoos. i'd like to think the best business is done with people who look like they mean business.

........though obviously through personal experience i know that the majority of people on this forum (particularly those already with tattoos/weird piercings/funky hairstyle) would not understand or appreciate why i think like this - i've received many a negative rep for my views on tattoos + stuff (something i still don't give a stuff if it continues- because while i may receive negative rep, at least i don't look like a freak = WINNING).
Original post by rajandkwameali

Original post by RollerBall

Agreed.

What if a firm's clientele didn't find tattoos or piercings offensive? Why then should it matter? I don't have tattoos or piercings, but surely it depends on the views/attitudes of the top management of a company, and the opinions of customers. I don't see how it matters in an absolute sense.

In any role that is client-facing, or has the potential to be client-facing, appearance is going to be of some relevance in being the "right person for the job". Whether or not people are going to find them "offensive", most of us find that the presence of visible tattoos or piercings are going to have some impact on the first impression we get of somebody. Depending on the image your employer wants you to portray, it's pretty likely this will be a negative impact. First impressions count for an awful lot, so in any situation where you are going to be dealing with people outside of your group of colleagues, it has to be a consideration.

When I say "client-facing" this is a pretty broad expression... as well as the obvious (sales) I think it could be taken as meaning any business role where you might have to make a pitch or do a presentation, or any professional role (medicine, law, teaching etc) where you need to command some respect.

Also in today's job market employers can afford to be a lot more picky... remember that if you are applying for a job with visible piercings, tattoos etc there is likely somebody else (at our level anyway) applying who is just as good as you just without them.
(edited 13 years ago)
I'd scream at them until they leave.
Original post by thefish_uk
Agreed.

In any role that is client-facing, or has the potential to be client-facing, appearance is going to be of some relevance in being the "right person for the job". Whether or not people are going to find them "offensive", most of us find that the presence of visible tattoos or piercings are going to have some impact on the first impression we get of somebody. Depending on the image your employer wants you to portray, it's pretty likely this will be a negative impact. First impressions count for an awful lot, so in any situation where you are going to be dealing with people outside of your group of colleagues, it has to be a consideration.

When I say "client-facing" this is a pretty broad expression... as well as the obvious (sales) I think it could be taken as meaning any business role where you might have to make a pitch or do a presentation, or any professional role (medicine, law, teaching etc) where you need to command some respect.

Also in today's job market employers can afford to be a lot more picky... remember that if you are applying for a job with visible piercings, tattoos etc there is likely somebody else (at our level anyway) applying who is just as good as you just without them.

lol... no. A firm tailors its service provision to the needs of its clientele. Often this can also depend on the image that the firm wishes to put forward. It is not a black and white issue, and depends on a number of factors.

lol... no. A firm tailors its service provision to the needs of its clientele. Often this can also depend on the image that the firm wishes to put forward. It is not a black and white issue, and depends on a number of factors.

In which case the question you asked, "Would you deny a job to somebody with tattoos?", is a bit meaningless, as nobody can answer that question without knowing who they are hiring for and what sort of clientele they have!
Reply 13
Its hard for a company to draw a line say "you can have tattoos but no face/religious/obsene, you can have piercings but no facial/excessive.. and so on and so on. Some people will argue what excessive or obsene really is.

Easiest thing? Just ban them all.
It depends what and where.

A small star on the ankle? Fine. A large penis tattooed to the forehead? GTFO.
Reply 15
When I was applying for the navy I had to specify exactly where my tattoos were and if I had any on my lower arms or legs or neck etc I was told I wouldn't be allowed in :/
If you work in a bar in Camden you'll get away with it more.

Where I work all tattoos/piercing must be concealed so you appear professional and approachable.

I have no issues with tattoos as long as they are hidden, they are personal and so I would rather not see them as they can be distracting at work. I still want a tattoo though. :ahee:
I suppose you can't hold it against someone. I'd try not to be prejudiced. However I do find them ugly and frankly mystifying. I can understand a temporary thing, but permanent????? There's a girl I quite like at the moment, I was really disappointed to discover she had a tattoo. Didn't seem like the type at all.
If presentation matters, yes. If not, then no.

Yes because they are usually bad people.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending