The Student Room Group

Driving on motorway

Hi,

I passed my test a week ago and start driving around on Nissan Micra 1.0(2004 model) ... I am a bit worry if my micra can cope on motorway - Have you ever driven on 1.0 engine on motorway? please do explain how it is and it is easy to overtake the heavy vehicle?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, I have a 1.0 Polo. It should be fine going up to 70. If you want to overtake it will do 80 fine, but make sure you dont stay at that speed. First weekend I had my car I was overtaking at 90 and doing an average of 75-80. Don't do that. Caused me an oil leak. So just try and keep to the limit
Reply 2
I drive a 2.3 Land rover capable of 62mph max speed, it takes about 15 seconds to reach this speed, and I overtake things all day long on a motorway!
Reply 3
You can overtake, but I think the car will struggle.

Might take you like 15 secs to get to overtaking speed, causing all the other "fast" cars to be held up.
I cruise along at 80-90 in my 1.2 litre Punto.

Don't worry about it, drive at a speed you are comfortable with and you will slowly build up. I was surprised as to how nice motorway drivers are when it comes to letting you out into lanes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I would stay well below 80mph in such a small car, anything faster and quite frankly you will not be able to stop with the poxy brakes found on most low powered cars. They will quickly overheat and you could pile into the car in front when the motorway slows down and it can slow down very quickly to a stop.

You have to drive at a speed which you are comfortable at and in addition, a speed which you car is safe driving at. Most bigger engined cars will stop much quicker from 80mph than your 1ltr, so if I were you, I would keep well below doing silly speeds, particularly as you have just passed your test!

Motorways are the safest roads in the UK, but if you get it wrong, things happen much quicker!

Just be careful and you will be fine.
Original post by gbduo
I would stay well below 80mph in such a small car, anything faster and quite frankly you will not be able to stop with the poxy brakes found on most low powered cars. They will quickly overheat and you could pile into the car in front when the motorway slows down and it can slow down very quickly to a stop.

You have to drive at a speed which you are comfortable at and in addition, a speed which you car is safe driving at. Most bigger engined cars will stop much quicker from 80mph than your 1ltr, so if I were you, I would keep well below doing silly speeds, particularly as you have just passed your test!

Motorways are the safest roads in the UK, but if you get it wrong, things happen much quicker!

Just be careful and you will be fine.

80mph is fine in an 04 micra, providing you have some anticipation ability and don't brown nose the car in front. Your right they you will be limited somewhat in comparison to other cars but I don't think it will be quite as severe as your making it out to be.

Just don't go too fast until your comfortable with how the car handles at speed like that, knowing if it will squirrel under braking as well as knowing your personal stopping distance. As you drive a long just think to yourself "That's an expensive looking bmw (etc) so he can stop faster than me, I'll leave a bigger gap". Different people learn at different speeds, don't be afraid to ask your Dad or someone else who is experienced and good at driving (I know plenty of old drivers who are tools or people that are just **** at driving) for advice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
80mph is fine in an 04 micra, providing you have some anticipation ability and don't brown nose the car in front. Your right they you will be limited somewhat in comparison to other cars but I don't think it will be quite as severe as your making it out to be.

Just don't go too fast until your comfortable with how the car handles at speed like that, knowing if it will squirrel under braking as well as knowing your personal stopping distance. As you drive a long just think to yourself "That's an expensive looking bmw (etc) so he can stop faster than me, I'll leave a bigger gap". Different people learn at different speeds, don't be afraid to ask your Dad or someone else who is experienced and good at driving (I know plenty of old drivers who are tools or people that are just **** at driving) for advice.

You are right and spot on. The problem is, I see on a daily basis small cars, driven by new drivers who are very young about 2 inches off my bumper at 80mph whilst the motorway is very very busy leaving me nowhere to pull in, and if I did have to brake hard they would be straight up my rear and having a impact in a small car where you are 2 feet from the front bumper is never going to end well at motorway speeds.

But yeh, if it is a quiet stretch then that is different, it is just going crazy during busy times and being very close to the car in front is very silly in any car, but particularly in a car which has inferior brakes to most other cars on the road.
Reply 8
Thanks for all the advise i really appreciated it...

I would better stick with driving on left lane at 70mph, if i want to overtake i ll probably stick with 70mph unless the middle lane are clear... Just another advise do you think it is wise to drive 60-65mph on left lane rather than doing a little over 70mph? i am just pretty caution with my 2 years probation period- if you know what i am on about?
Original post by AdamZ
Thanks for all the advise i really appreciated it...

I would better stick with driving on left lane at 70mph, if i want to overtake i ll probably stick with 70mph unless the middle lane are clear... Just another advise do you think it is wise to drive 60-65mph on left lane rather than doing a little over 70mph? i am just pretty caution with my 2 years probation period- if you know what i am on about?

70 is fine, just be weary of lorries that are limited to 60mph, you want to avoid braking on the motorway, it's all about anticipation.

Of course, don't hesitate to brake, but if you can plan ahead in order to not have to all the better.

For example when I cruise up and down the M1 and M6 I'm looking ahead to see brake lights, because chances are if I see them they will ripple down to me, so I can just ease of the accelerator to lower my speed a bit and lengthen the gap between me and the car in front.

Original post by gbduo
You are right and spot on. The problem is, I see on a daily basis small cars, driven by new drivers who are very young about 2 inches off my bumper at 80mph whilst the motorway is very very busy leaving me nowhere to pull in, and if I did have to brake hard they would be straight up my rear and having a impact in a small car where you are 2 feet from the front bumper is never going to end well at motorway speeds.

But yeh, if it is a quiet stretch then that is different, it is just going crazy during busy times and being very close to the car in front is very silly in any car, but particularly in a car which has inferior brakes to most other cars on the road.

Yeah I pretty much agree with everything you said, I cruise up and down the M1 and M6 more than most (I do Stevenage -> Birmingham -> Stevenage every other week at least) and just constantly acknowledge cars that can out break me, but I still normally average 80-85mph and 40-42mpg

Adam, when it comes moving up and down motorways average speed is everything, there is no use of going 90 for a stretch and dropping to 70. You want to be gentle and relaxed, don't come on or off the accelerator sharply. I just get into a stream of traffic in what ever lane is moving fastest (without exceeding 90) but always trying to keep in the most lefterly lane as well to let faster cars move past me.

When you want to move into a lane moving faster ease a gap between you and the car in front, spot your distance in in anticipation for the gap (this is where practise makes perfect) increase your speed to the lane your moving into. Be watchful of the car in front that your overtaking though, as you will be moving faster than him. When moving into slower traffic be watchful that you won't have to brake to scrub off speed quickly, a mistake I see a lot is people looking over their shoulders while moving into a slower lane and then having to stamp on the brake as they are doing 20mph than the car in front.

Also, check your blind spots when ever you change lane, especially when moving into a faster lane towards the central reservation, check your mirror and then glance out your side window/rear passenger window to check if there is something there but not in your mirrors.

Added a bit of information, sorry if it isn't very coherent, gbduo will probably get an idea of what I'm trying to say and explain it more clearly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Fuzzed_Out
70 is fine, just be weary of lorries that are limited to 60mph, you want to avoid braking on the motorway, it's all about anticipation.

Of course, don't hesitate to brake, but if you can plan ahead in order to not have to all the better.

For example when I cruise up and down the M1 and M6 I'm looking ahead to see brake lights, because chances are if I see them they will ripple down to me, so I can just ease of the accelerator to lower my speed a bit and lengthen the gap between me and the car in front.

Thanks mate, Your explaination does make sense and i shall keep that in my mind... :smile:
Reply 11
Sounds fine to me Fuzzed_Out!

It is very hard to explain driving on the interwebs and correct practice but what you wrote is sensible enough, so you can have +ve rep!

Graham
Reply 12
Sorry to hijack, but I'm a bit :confused: about why a 1.0 car should not stay at say 80mph kind of a thing, I'm so not car clever :redface:. Would it be the same principle for my car which is a 1.2 (2006 Seat Ibiza)?

Is it just for long periods of time you shouldn't drive at that speed but its fine to overtake a few cars/lorries etc at a time in the fast lane?

Bit worried now. Its no wonder a garage ripped me off a week ago is it with what I know about cars :rolleyes: :tongue:
Reply 13
It was more about braking distances, Rep Mobiles have disc brakes all round so will stop much quicker than your car which has drums on the back. Basically, you have inferior brakes to a bigger car because your car is a city car not necessarily designed for motorway driving, where as a Mondeo, 3 series, Audi, etc are designed for Autobahn crunching so they have much better braking capabilities.

It is not necessarily bad for the engine to do that speed, it is more about braking and wiping off the speed in an emergency stop. Do 80 or less and leave a good gap and you will be fine. The problem is I see lots of people doing more than 80 in small cars and following a bigger car way too close. It is only going to end up one way when the car in front brakes hard!

Just be sensible and know the limits of your car and you.
Reply 14
Original post by gbduo
It was more about braking distances, Rep Mobiles have disc brakes all round so will stop much quicker than your car which has drums on the back. Basically, you have inferior brakes to a bigger car because your car is a city car not necessarily designed for motorway driving, where as a Mondeo, 3 series, Audi, etc are designed for Autobahn crunching so they have much better braking capabilities.

It is not necessarily bad for the engine to do that speed, it is more about braking and wiping off the speed in an emergency stop. Do 80 or less and leave a good gap and you will be fine. The problem is I see lots of people doing more than 80 in small cars and following a bigger car way too close. It is only going to end up one way when the car in front brakes hard!

Just be sensible and know the limits of your car and you.

Ahhh OK that makes lots of sense, thanks :smile:
Does anybody here actually know what the stopping distance is at 80 mph or 90 mph? No? (And before anyone asks, yes I do know!)

The national speed limit on motorways in the UK is 70 mph and that should be your maximum speed. Most posts in this thread are talking about speeds well in excess of that and the issues with driving over the limit. The 70 mph limit may well be wrong and probably needs to be reviewed but we don't teach you to drive so you can break the b&**%y law!

Emma

I'm having a bad hair day - sorry - :rolleyes:
Reply 16
Lorries are restricted to 54mph. If you drive at least 54mph then you are safe to drive on a motorway.

But your car should be perfectly capable of managing 70mph and overtaking the lorries. Just check carefully before changing lanes - it is better to be stuck behind a lorry than have an accident at high speed.
Reply 17
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Does anybody here actually know what the stopping distance is at 80 mph or 90 mph? No? (And before anyone asks, yes I do know!)

The national speed limit on motorways in the UK is 70 mph and that should be your maximum speed. Most posts in this thread are talking about speeds well in excess of that and the issues with driving over the limit. The 70 mph limit may well be wrong and probably needs to be reviewed but we don't teach you to drive so you can break the b&**%y law!

Emma

I'm having a bad hair day - sorry - :rolleyes:

The actual stopping distance or what the highway code would have you believe?
Original post by R. Murray
The actual stopping distance or what the highway code would have you believe?

What the Highway Code would have you believe. I know that stopping distances vary considerably depending on all sorts of things and many of the comments here make the point so I won't bother.

Of course, whether someone actually knows what 75 feet looks like is another matter...
Original post by fosters88
2 cars, both cars have same brakes and same tyres but have different weight one is 900kg and the other is 1500kg, what is the stopping distance for each car doing 80mph or 90mph?

The theory waffle that is churned out when learning is only a small handful of variables, there are a wide variety of variables that have to be considered for overall stopping distance.

You don’t even need to consider two cars, a car will react (acceleration/braking/handling in corners/bends) totally differently from "just" having the driver in the car to + 3 passengers in the car!

When you see 17-18 year olds who have just passed their test and involved in an accident, ever noticed there are always 2-3 passengers in the car. Mean yes the driver is inexperience, naïve and probably showing off but what do you expect when a car will handle differently due to the additional weight and they have had no teaching of this or experience!

So right, people fail their test a lot when their examiner is being examined or their instructor is in the car with them due to the extra weight they are not used too. I really dislike driving my car for long journeys with more than 2 passengers purely because of the reduced performance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending