The Student Room Group

Ridiculous JSA situation - help?

My cousin is currently on Jobseekers' Allowance, and has been actively looking for a job. The job centre have found him one. The catch? It'll actually cost him more to get to and from it than they're going to pay him - he will be paying (so borrowing from a family member, me probably) for the privilege of doing this job. And they're going to stop the JSA if he doesn't take it.

The really ridiculous part is this isn't the first time he's had this problem, it was just fortunate that the job itself fell through last time. Doesn't look like there's going to be any such luck this time. He doesn't know what to do - the job centre failed to see the problem last time and are being equally stubborn this time.

Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Travel within an hour and a half radius by public transport is going to cost more than £11/day?

Thats a bit scary!

They need to make a formal complaint outlining the problem as you have done, and escalate it if need be.
Reply 2
What would be the cost of getting there? I am probably wrong but I can't see how public transport to the job will cost more than the wage.
Original post by TheSownRose
My cousin is currently on Jobseekers' Allowance, and has been actively looking for a job. The job centre have found him one. The catch? It'll actually cost him more to get to and from it than they're going to pay him - he will be paying (so borrowing from a family member, me probably) for the privilege of doing this job. And they're going to stop the JSA if he doesn't take it.

The really ridiculous part is this isn't the first time he's had this problem, it was just fortunate that the job itself fell through last time. Doesn't look like there's going to be any such luck this time. He doesn't know what to do - the job centre failed to see the problem last time and are being equally stubborn this time.

Any advice?

See

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/207/regulation/72/made
Reply 4
Original post by Shroob
What would be the cost of getting there? I am probably wrong but I can't see how public transport to the job will cost more than the wage.

You havent been in some areas where I have lived! its like £4.50 return for a 6 mile each way journey as its out of town, then about another £3 to get a return to work(or about £12 a week for a megarider but that doesnt cover the £4.50 a day route)

My friend had something like this a few years ago whilst on New Deal, the bus fares were £3.40 a day which may not sound much but the jobcentre had cut his money down to £20 a week because his previous employer refused to give P60 when he left(or is it P45?) so they refused to "believe" he left work so he had to do a 70 minute walk at 7.30am to get to work each morning and not get back till like 8pm all for £20 a week! Then he had to use part of that for electric and utilities every week and to top up his housing benefit

And we dont know the hours, I was doing a 20 hour a week job before for minimum wage and after tax was left with like £80 a week, then of that £80 had to pay £60 for rent, and £10 for transport so had £10 for food and everything else but I got £60 for signing on and rent paid!
Reply 5
Original post by drbluebox
because his previous employer refused to give P60 when he left(or is it P45?)

P45.
Reply 6

Any advice?

Just as an idea of cutting the travel expenses down a bit... Have you looked into season tickets and day tickets etc?

I don't know if this is the same for other areas of the country but in both West and South Yorkshire, you can get travelmaster tickets. The South Yorkshire one is priced from £43 - £80 depending on how old you are; these tickets give you unlimited travel for 28 days on trains buses and trams in that area.

If the plan is to get the train - It canseem a daunting amount to pay for a season ticket (my last was about £400) but you end up saving A LOT by getting one if you travel frequently.

Hope everything gets sorted out :smile:
Reply 7
You havent been in some areas where I have lived! its like £4.50 return for a 6 mile each way journey as its out of town, then about another £3 to get a return to work(or about £12 a week for a megarider but that doesnt cover the £4.50 a day route)

My friend had something like this a few years ago whilst on New Deal, the bus fares were £3.40 a day which may not sound much but the jobcentre had cut his money down to £20 a week because his previous employer refused to give P60 when he left(or is it P45?) so they refused to "believe" he left work so he had to do a 70 minute walk at 7.30am to get to work each morning and not get back till like 8pm all for £20 a week! Then he had to use part of that for electric and utilities every week and to top up his housing benefit

And we dont know the hours, I was doing a 20 hour a week job before for minimum wage and after tax was left with like £80 a week, then of that £80 had to pay £60 for rent, and £10 for transport so had £10 for food and everything else but I got £60 for signing on and rent paid!

I know how expensive public transport can be, believe me. However, taking your example (megarider + £4.50 return), transport to work is £34.50 a week. Even on the minimum wage, on a 30 hour week, that leaves £142 a week.

For a working year, say 45 weeks, the bus fairs will be £1,552.50, which is cheaper than a car when you include insurance, petrol, tax etc.
Reply 8

so you were earning way more than the transport costs...
Reply 9
Original post by Quady
Travel within an hour and a half radius by public transport is going to cost more than £11/day?

Thats a bit scary!

They need to make a formal complaint outlining the problem as you have done, and escalate it if need be.

It is pretty much as far as 'reasonable' can stretch, and he has to take a few different forms of transport, including a taxi ride due to his distance from the nearest bus stop and his bum leg.

Original post by Shroob

Travel for a day costs just over £30, £15 of which is a taxi journey; it's three six hour days, so at £4.92 per hour (minimum wage), leaves him about £1 out of pocket each day.

Do you have a link to a less legally-worded summary, by any chance? Thanks for pointing us to the appropriate regulations.
Reply 10
Original post by Baula
Just as an idea of cutting the travel expenses down a bit... Have you looked into season tickets and day tickets etc?

I don't know if this is the same for other areas of the country but in both West and South Yorkshire, you can get travelmaster tickets. The South Yorkshire one is priced from £43 - £80 depending on how old you are; these tickets give you unlimited travel for 28 days on trains buses and trams in that area.

If the plan is to get the train - It canseem a daunting amount to pay for a season ticket (my last was about £400) but you end up saving A LOT by getting one if you travel frequently.

Hope everything gets sorted out :smile:

Apparently, he's had a look at the season tickets available for the area and, considering he's only going for three days a week and is only going to be working until the middle of June, it doesn't work out cost-effective for him at all. He doesn't have the money, but we could loan him that if needed.

Do you have a link to a less legally-worded summary, by any chance? Thanks for pointing us to the appropriate regulations.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch34.pdf

Para 34441 et seq and 34496 et seq
Reply 12
Is there no way he could get public transport all the way there? If not then it does kinda suck from what you have described.
Reply 13
Original post by Shroob
Is there no way he could get public transport all the way there? If not then it does kinda suck from what you have described.

No - he lives about ten miles from the nearest bus stop and his leg means he can't walk or cycle there, so he needs a taxi to the bus stop, then needs to take the bus to some town to get a train to the place where the job is. :frown:
Reply 14

Any advice?

Personally i would complain, if they still argue there case i think u should then go to local mp and go crazy.
Original post by Quady
so you were earning way more than the transport costs...

If you want to go to extreme basics, then yes I was "earning" more than transport costs but since when I was working I had to pay my own rent I only made ends meet by luckily having cheap rent(other places in town were £10 more)

I was actually like £40 per week better off doing 8 hours a week less as then I would get housing benefits.

Original post by Shroob
I know how expensive public transport can be, believe me. However, taking your example (megarider + £4.50 return), transport to work is £34.50 a week. Even on the minimum wage, on a 30 hour week, that leaves £142 a week.

For a working year, say 45 weeks, the bus fairs will be £1,552.50, which is cheaper than a car when you include insurance, petrol, tax etc.

You havent taken away tax into that which is about £30-40 a week leaving around £100 left to pay rent and bills, so in that sense yes it covers transport and rent but not much else(and depends on how much your rent and essential utilities are)
It is pretty much as far as 'reasonable' can stretch, and he has to take a few different forms of transport, including a taxi ride due to his distance from the nearest bus stop and his bum leg.

When I was at my parents for 18 months when I was 19 we had like 3 buses a day, one at 8am that was for school and even a full fize bus had people standing the entire way and got me into town at 8.45am exactly and was often late, another at 1pm and another at 4pm, the 4pm bus was the school bus on way back.

I remember writing in my jobseekers agreement I could only work from 9am-3.30pm each day adn the jobcentre tried to sanction my claim as me limiting hours I could work and the advisor was rude and said the words "I dont believe you" when I said I had 3 buses a day, then said "why dont you get a lift with one of your neighbours" and when I said one guy worked nightshift and left at 4am she told me to come with him at 4am and wait for like the 4 and a half hours to start work and walk back at 5.30 when I finshed every day!

Jobcentre seems to treat pretty much everyone as guilty until proven innocent and unless every word out of a claimaints mouth is "yes I will do anything you say" they are causing trouble.
Original post by Quady

Thats a bit scary!

I can get to London in an hour and 10 mins on the train but apparently it'll cost me £80 return. :| No thank you! lol.

I know a lot of people in the same situation - there's no jobs in my town so that have to go to nearby cities, and travel is about £10 per day.
Reply 18
If you want to go to extreme basics, then yes I was "earning" more than transport costs but since when I was working I had to pay my own rent I only made ends meet by luckily having cheap rent(other places in town were £10 more)

I was actually like £40 per week better off doing 8 hours a week less as then I would get housing benefits.

You havent taken away tax into that which is about £30-40 a week leaving around £100 left to pay rent and bills, so in that sense yes it covers transport and rent but not much else(and depends on how much your rent and essential utilities are)

You wouldn't pay tax on them earnings. Not sure on N.I., but you wouldn't be taxed (or at least be able to claim it back).
No - he lives about ten miles from the nearest bus stop and his leg means he can't walk or cycle there, so he needs a taxi to the bus stop, then needs to take the bus to some town to get a train to the place where the job is. :frown:

Has he looked into Access to Work to see if he qualifies? I don't know anything about it at all really, but I know some people who have received it to put towards travelling to and from work if they have disabilities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending