The Student Room Group

Father fell out with me over the census...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by -honeybee-
Yes but presumably the OP was born in Scotland and they've already said their mother is Scottish.

Yes, which is why I said James Connolly instead of Patrick Pearse
Original post by bestofyou
Yes, which is why I said James Connolly instead of Patrick Pearse

I was referring to your earlier statement of wanting your child to accept your own nationality despite them being born and raised in another country of which their mother is a national.
Reply 62
Original post by yawn
Sheesh...I give up trying to educate you..how the heck can you distort the point that sectarianism directed towards an individual because of their nationality would make that individual feel betrayed if their child identifies with the offender rather than the offended?.

Wow.. All I said was that whilst I was aware there was dislike between Catholics and Protestants I wasn't aware that it had ever become Irish vs Scottish anywhere. Also as I said if it has then I obviously concede that I am wrong, all I was pointing out initially was that I assumed you thought the person was identifying themselves as English since that is the more obvious Irish hatred. No need to get so uptight about it..
Well he's apologised so he knows he went overboard. Although in the end you should put down what you feel like putting down. There's all sorts of stories of how some people don't take the census seriously!
Original post by Charliee :)
:facepalm: thats the joke....

I am going to kill you and eat your soul.
Reply 65
Original post by Mithra
Wow.. All I said was that whilst I was aware there was dislike between Catholics and Protestants I wasn't aware that it had ever become Irish vs Scottish anywhere. Also as I said if it has then I obviously concede that I am wrong, all I was pointing out initially was that I assumed you thought the person was identifying themselves as English since that is the more obvious Irish hatred. No need to get so uptight about it..

One follows the other; ie your a nationalist Irish, you're a Catholic. The Reformation has a lot to answer for as it was the catalyst for so much of today's sectarianism in the geographical British Isles...some four hundred years later. :frown:

I'm peeved with you because you see the OP's problem limited only to a matter of what one has the right to put on the census form, according to their own feelings about their identity.

That much, I can agree with. However, you neglect to consider the wider emotional ramifications of doing so, despite the OP illustrating them loud and clear.

You were not the only one to do so, but you quoted me and entered into an ensuing debate. I guess that some young people do tend to think of the world in terms of themselves only rather than considering the feelings of others too...self-absorbtion in other words. It's all part of human development.

Anyway, let's call a truce and leave it at that, eh? :smile:
Is he the type to do this?

From my experience with my parents, they like to boss and tell me what to do with things like this, just because they think I'm incapable of doing it, and messing it up. Such as setting up bank accounts, sorting work experience, finding a job etc. So I tend to do all this myself, without them knowing, then bring it up later. It just saves trouble from both parties. Because their advice is pretty rubbish, and they get angry when I try to do my own thing.
He freaked out because deep down most father's want their children to carry on some kind of legacy. I'm English/Scottish and my son/daughter will be as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending