The Student Room Group

How much weight to make a barbell bend?

I was just wondering how much i would have to lift for a 20 kg olympic barbell to appear to bend?

200 kg? 250 kg?
Reply 1
Too much.
Reply 2
Not sure, I was told most bars can hold around 425 - 450KG.
Reply 3
4 plates I think, ask Matt
Reply 4
What do you mean by 'bend'? There are loads of positions and movements in which a barbell might bend, even with a relatively light load (e.g. at the end of the ascending phase of a squat). You've also got to bear in mind that an olympic bar is much more flexible than a power bar, and so will bend under a lesser load. Somewhere between 2 and 3 plates is usually enough to noticeably bend a power bar during a deadlift.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mr. Fox

Original post by Mr. Fox
What do you mean by 'bend'? There are loads of positions and movements in which a barbell might bend, even with a relatively light load (e.g. at the end of the ascending phase of a squat). You've also got to bear in mind that an olympic bar is much more flexible than a power bar, and so will bend under a lesser load. Somewhere between 2 and 3 plates is usually enough to noticeably bend a power bar during a deadlift.

^this
Reply 6
What? 2 to 3 plates? I've put on 250kg and didn't see any bend at all.
Original post by u4m1r

Original post by u4m1r
What? 2 to 3 plates? I've put on 250kg and didn't see any bend at all.

You were using a very stiff bar then.
It depends on what the bar is made of. Remember that there is a difference between static and dynamic loading so whilst the bar might not be deflecting with Xkg on the rack, it might well have deflected a fairly significant amount at the bottom of a dive-bombed squat.

Also keep in mind that not all barbells are of the same diameter, and that a few extra millimetres diameter can make a fairly noticeable difference to its second moment of area.
Reply 9
Lol i can't answer the specifics, about my bar. It is supposedly an "olympic" bar, is 7ft long and 20 kg. I've seen youtube vids where they lift 400 kg and the bar bends. I noticed when rezzadeveh set the C&J WR on 250 kg the bar wasnt really bending.

just wondering of its genetically possible for me to bend the bar
Original post by SummerSofas

Original post by SummerSofas
Lol i can't answer the specifics, about my bar. It is supposedly an "olympic" bar, is 7ft long and 20 kg. I've seen youtube vids where they lift 400 kg and the bar bends. I noticed when rezzadeveh set the C&J WR on 250 kg the bar wasnt really bending.

Did you also see how wide Rez's grip is?

This bar whips a little with 120 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVKh21bFo5g
100kg including the bar is enough to see a definite bend on deadlifts at my gym.
Original post by The Troll Toll

This bar whips a little with 120 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVKh21bFo5g

Not one to disagree with the mighty nun but surely that's a female olympic bar at 15kg which is thinner/weaker...
Original post by MHorman

Original post by MHorman
Not one to disagree with the mighty nun but surely that's a female olympic bar at 15kg which is thinner/weaker...

You are right, but it is also 6' instead of 7'. I would guess men's Oly bars would whip about that much with 140 or so on a C&J by a lighter lifter.

Quick Reply

Latest