The Student Room Group

Salary expectations

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Unless you get on an apprenticeship or just generally get lucky, expect not much more than the minimum wage. A levels don't really count for much these days I'm afraid.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 21
ppp
OP
Original post by UnknwnEntity
Well if you plan to live your life under the whim of societal designation all your life I'd offset any benefits of any job.

I have no plans to ever settle down, the thought makes me quite edgy infact, I want to travel, no kids, no LTM, so perhaps my priorities are different but my perspective certainly is not. You are 17 FFS (Why did you say 19 in OP?), relax. Just get a job, any job, grind it for a year, save up, meanwhile considering your next course of action.

What does OP mean? I'm coming up to 19 so 18 was a typing error. I think my biggest problem is all my friends are working 9 to 5 so able to spend all weekend on the razzle while im stuck in a retail job working most friday and sat nights and feel like i'm missing out on something

Original post by ppp
What does OP mean?

Original poster. i.e. you.
Reply 23
Well if you plan to live your life under the whim of societal designation all your life I'd offset any benefits of any job.

I have no plans to ever settle down, the thought makes me quite edgy infact, I want to travel, no kids, no LTM, so perhaps my priorities are different but my perspective certainly is not. You are 17 FFS (Why did you say 19 in OP?), relax. Just get a job, any job, grind it for a year, save up, meanwhile considering your next course of action.

Just because you're not planning for the future doesn't mean the OP shouldn't.
Original post by Brevity
Just because you're not planning for the future doesn't mean the OP shouldn't.

Where did I say I wasnt planning for the future you illiterate random
Reply 25
ppp
OP
Where did I say I wasnt planning for the future you illiterate random

You cleary stated you are a homo and you ain't having any kids or settling down.
Original post by ppp
You cleary stated you are a homo and you ain't having any kids or settling down.

Didn't say I was gay (In this thread anyway)

How does "not having any kids" and "wanting to travel" denote "not planning for the future" - rather it denotes a defined structure and direction to my life and a clear intention. Not having a family/kids is purely for independence, not having a Long Term Relationship is purely to escape a lifetime of facade.
Reply 27
ppp
OP
Didn't say I was gay (In this thread anyway)

How does "not having any kids" and "wanting to travel" denote "not planning for the future" - rather it denotes a defined structure and direction to my life and a clear intention. Not having a family/kids is purely for independence, not having a Long Term Relationship is purely to escape a lifetime of facade.

Is not having a successful career and rising a family a direction in life. I know you never said you was gay was just bored and wanted to see your reaction sorry.

What do you mean when you say a lifetime of facade?
Original post by ppp
Is not having a successful career and rising a family a direction in life. I know you never said you was gay was just bored and wanted to see your reaction sorry.

What do you mean when you say a lifetime of facade?

Yes it is a direction, I was responding to the other person.

I have very a cynical, misanthropic appraisal of human nature.
Original post by ppp
I do live at home but you realise how much it is to travel into london each day; over £100 a week then there is general expenses such as food and drink.

Anyway this is not really an issue i just really feel its time i got a job with future prospects

£100 a week?! What zone do you live in?! I'm in zone 3 and it's £123.70 a month.

& tbh, your salary will depend on the jobs you apply for and experience or whether you can make an employer believe that you will bring something amazing to them, by employing you.
Reply 30
ppp
OP
Original post by SuperStarr1
£100 a week?! What zone do you live in?! I'm in zone 3 and it's £123.70 a month.

& tbh, your salary will depend on the jobs you apply for and experience or whether you can make an employer believe that you will bring something amazing to them, by employing you.

I live in middlesex takes around 30 minutes to get to kings cross and yes it's 100 for a weekly ticket even more expensive if bought daily.
Original post by ppp
I live in middlesex takes around 30 minutes to get to kings cross and yes it's 100 for a weekly ticket even more expensive if bought daily.

Oo I see, that is so expensive! Why not look for a job in Middlesex? £400 a month on travel alone :eek: .. I hate paying just over £120 as it is!!

What experience do you have? If I was you, I'd apply for all the jobs around £18K (which is what your looking for) and other jobs for the time being, and if your lucky enough to get an interview and they say what salary are you looking for, just say £18K and what you could bring to the company and why they should invest in you.
Reply 32
ppp
OP
Original post by SuperStarr1
Oo I see, that is so expensive! Why not look for a job in Middlesex? £400 a month on travel alone :eek: .. I hate paying just over £120 as it is!!

What experience do you have? If I was you, I'd apply for all the jobs around £18K (which is what your looking for) and other jobs for the time being, and if your lucky enough to get an interview and they say what salary are you looking for, just say £18K and what you could bring to the company and why they should invest in you.

I have three good a levels, 6 months experience and a very rounded individual (not being big headed). Do you think these could justify a 18k salary? I have looked in middlesex but hardly anything about and i also want to work in london for the life that comes with it i.e pubs after work, social life etc etc (i'll probobly get fed up of travelling after a month)
Reply 33
Times are hard at the moment. Even with decent A levels and what not probably wouldn't justify 18k a year unfortunately. I mean there's god knows how many uni graduates who can't even get that kind of salary even with a degree under their belt. I'm 20 and doing an apprenticeship which I don't really enjoy and the pay is shocking because it's a learning role (not even minimum wage) and I'm doing this with the same level of qualification as you because I can't get a job anywhere else. Luckily I have uni in Sept so it ain't all bad! lol

I'd just say take what you can get, working for macdonalds had got to be better than being unemployed hasn't it? And it doesn't have to be forever
Reply 34
ppp
OP
Original post by geztival
Times are hard at the moment. Even with decent A levels and what not probably wouldn't justify 18k a year unfortunately. I mean there's god knows how many uni graduates who can't even get that kind of salary even with a degree under their belt. I'm 20 and doing an apprenticeship which I don't really enjoy and the pay is shocking because it's a learning role (not even minimum wage) and I'm doing this with the same level of qualification as you because I can't get a job anywhere else. Luckily I have uni in Sept so it ain't all bad! lol

I'd just say take what you can get, working for macdonalds had got to be better than being unemployed hasn't it? And it doesn't have to be forever

I would happily work as an apprentice earning less that minimum wage as i would be learning and hopefully have some career prospects.

I didn't think you could get an apprentaship after the age of 19.

Where did you find this apprentaship?

thanks
Reply 35
Original post by ppp

Sorry, but if you don't have a job, why are you looking to travel into the centre of London, when there will be other jobs about?

Expect no more than minimum wage. There's nothing that makes you stand out from anybody else. If you still don't know what career to go into, go and be a waiter until you can find something you actually want to do. You can't bum off your parents while you're still deciding what to do.

Go and earn some money doing ANYTHING, and while you're doing that, search for a job/apprenticeship that you actually want to do.

Until you've got a few years experience, I wouldn't be expecting any more than minimum wage.
Reply 36

Original post by ppp
I would happily work as an apprentice earning less that minimum wage as i would be learning and hopefully have some career prospects.

I didn't think you could get an apprentaship after the age of 19.

Where did you find this apprentaship?

thanks

I don't think there's an upper age limit...well one of the other apprentices at my place is 22/23 so I assume there isn't. I found mine on the connexions website and applied through there. They are pretty useful if you get one in the area you wanna work in and I get £105 a week which sucks considering I work 37.5 hours a week, but it beats being on the dole lol. You should definitely check it out, they have them in most areas of work :smile:
Reply 37
Where abouts in Middlesex are you? Its probably cheaper to get a bus or walk to the nearest zone 6 station, and then use your oyster card. Also, I take it you are under 25 so make sure you get a £26 young persons railcard (lasts a year) and have that registered against your oyster card. You should be able to get the cost of travel down a lot more if you do that.

Also look into buying weekly/monthly Z1-6 travelcards, especially if you are outside the zone area but are served by red buses.
Original post by ppp
I have three good a levels, 6 months experience and a very rounded individual (not being big headed). Do you think these could justify a 18k salary? I have looked in middlesex but hardly anything about and i also want to work in london for the life that comes with it i.e pubs after work, social life etc etc (i'll probobly get fed up of travelling after a month)

6 months experience doing what? Most employers would prefer 1+ years but that's not to say you won't get anything. I wouldn't say finding an £18K a year job would be impossible, but you will find it incredibly difficult = you'll compete with other individuals with much more experience/degrees etc. Look for anything, then search for jobs of exactly what you want - it's easier to find another job whilst your in one!

Tbh, you'd probably hate traveling such a long distance within a relatively quick time, which might make you resent your job. I would try and get a 9 - 5 job closer to Middlesex, where you'd still have the same lifestyle of drinks after work on a Friday (Not a lot of people in London go drinking every night after work! I normally can't wait to go home).
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending