The Student Room Group

Can i get into occupational therapy without all the gcse grades ?

Hi
I left school with poor gcses, basically i only got a C in maths and C in english language, a B in english literature and the rest arent worth mentioning. I left school and went straight into work but now i want to go to university and get a better job and in a field i want

Ive been looking into occupational therapy and feel it could be the one for me, If i go on an adult access to higher education course and pass that with all distinctions, will it matter me having only 2 gcses above c grade when the entry requirement says i need 5 ? is there any leeway on this, considering maths and english are probably the most important ones ?

If anybody knows one way or the other id be grateful for the replies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
anyone.........................
Original post by Dave10
Hi
I left school with poor gcses, basically i only got a C in maths and C in english language, a B in english literature and the rest arent worth mentioning. I left school and went straight into work but now i want to go to university and get a better job and in a field i want

Ive been looking into occupational therapy and feel it could be the one for me, If i go on an adult access to higher education course and pass that with all distinctions, will it matter me having only 2 gcses above c grade when the entry requirement says i need 5 ? is there any leeway on this, considering maths and english are probably the most important ones ?

Most institutions ask for at least a C grade in Maths and English and at 3 other GCSEs at C or above.

It may depend on the uni, and you would do best to look up the minimum entry requirements of each uni you are interested in, or if they don't say on their website/prospectus contact them directly.
Reply 3
yes i have already checked and they say the require 5 gcses

i have maths and english and will have an acess course

im asking if there is any room to be let in with these things or is the 5gcses a sticking point and i need them no matter what
Hi,

I have just been offered a place for OT and I am doing an access course but the uni I applied to asked for just English & Maths grade C. If the uni say 5 GCSEs then obviously thats the minimum and they wont budge and accept anything lower.
Reply 5
I think the best way to confirm your query ^is to call the Univercity's admissions office and explain to them your situation.
Reply 6
I agree probably best to ask the universities.
I'm a mature student at 30. I have just done the access course and have been given conditonal offers by 3 uni's. I got an F at GCSE maths but did numeracy lvl 2 instead! and got on. I'm sure if you do an access course with your GCSE in maths and english I really think you will be fine. Thats why they have access it seems uni's like access students because it really prepares you for study writing reports, essays and learning how to reference properly. I would say the piece best piece of advice i got was get work experience, phone and write to hospitals and social services and try to get a least a day or two with an OT, it takes some perseverance but will show how dedicated you are and that you have some understanding of the role. good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Dave10
Hi

Hi Dave,

I know it has been said, but it does depend on the uni. However, what I'm finding is that a lot of unis don't mind if you don't have the GCSEs, as long as the access course covers the subjects that they want to a suitable level i.e. be VERY careful about choosing modules on access courses (see my posts starting here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1381180&page=47)

My advice would be to contact the unis you are interested in, go and see them in person, (counts for a lot), get as much work experience as you possibly, possibly can, say 'what you learned from this' in your personal statement and possibly do a gcse or two alongside your access course.

All the best :smile:
i hope all the best to you, but i'll just warn that areas of therapy are very competitive, and are reserved for the best students. my friend did poorly at school too, but managed to do OT at derby uni. shes now left and found this out for herself, and its unlikely she'll be able to find a job in the field she wants, and shes upset she wasted her time. id talk to a careers advisor or something to see what options there are first x
Reply 9
Original post by Charlieeeeee
i hope all the best to you, but i'll just warn that areas of therapy are very competitive, and are reserved for the best students. my friend did poorly at school too, but managed to do OT at derby uni. shes now left and found this out for herself, and its unlikely she'll be able to find a job in the field she wants, and shes upset she wasted her time. id talk to a careers advisor or something to see what options there are first x

Hi Charlie,

Can you clarify what you mean please? Can she not get the job she wants because she went to Derby? Didn't do well in school? or didn't do well in uni?

Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by rocket0612
Hi,

I have just been offered a place for OT and I am doing an access course but the uni I applied to asked for just English & Maths grade C. If the uni say 5 GCSEs then obviously thats the minimum and they wont budge and accept anything lower.

Hi, what uni was this ?
Reply 11
Original post by sevana
I agree probably best to ask the universities.
I'm a mature student at 30. I have just done the access course and have been given conditonal offers by 3 uni's. I got an F at GCSE maths but did numeracy lvl 2 instead! and got on. I'm sure if you do an access course with your GCSE in maths and english I really think you will be fine. Thats why they have access it seems uni's like access students because it really prepares you for study writing reports, essays and learning how to reference properly. I would say the piece best piece of advice i got was get work experience, phone and write to hospitals and social services and try to get a least a day or two with an OT, it takes some perseverance but will show how dedicated you are and that you have some understanding of the role. good luck!

thankyouuu
Reply 12
Original post by SeaJay
Hi Dave,

I know it has been said, but it does depend on the uni. However, what I'm finding is that a lot of unis don't mind if you don't have the GCSEs, as long as the access course covers the subjects that they want to a suitable level i.e. be VERY careful about choosing modules on access courses (see my posts starting here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1381180&page=47)

My advice would be to contact the unis you are interested in, go and see them in person, (counts for a lot), get as much work experience as you possibly, possibly can, say 'what you learned from this' in your personal statement and possibly do a gcse or two alongside your access course.

All the best :smile:

yeh thats what i dont get, what access course am i even meant to do for occupational therapy ? i cant find an actual access to occupational therapy course

the college near me offers 3 course

education and humanities
science
health care

so im planning on going with the health care one, i hope that going to be ok
Reply 13

not sure what you mean ?

from what ive read occupational therapy is one of the fastest growing job areas going

so id assume it was easier to find a job doing this than many other things
Reply 14
Original post by Dave10
yeh thats what i dont get, what access course am i even meant to do for occupational therapy ? i cant find an actual access to occupational therapy course

the college near me offers 3 course

education and humanities
science
health care

so im planning on going with the health care one, i hope that going to be ok

NOOOO! Not necessarily!!!! Did you read my posts?? Sorry for all the exclamation marks, but please be soo careful when choosing the course. Contact the unis first and talk to them about what they require. Also, see which modules there are on the health course at this college - don't take crappy ones like the ones on mine. I know OT is less competitive than PT, but you've still got to be careful.

Please don't waste a year like I did.

Cx
Original post by SeaJay
Hi Charlie,

Can you clarify what you mean please? Can she not get the job she wants because she went to Derby? Didn't do well in school? or didn't do well in uni?

Thanks

she didnt do brilliantly in either. she got a 2:2 at derby, because (not to offend anyone) but its a pretty poor uni. obviously even someone who did badly could in theory do well at uni, but its very competitive, so if you didnt think you'd get at least a 2:1 then maybe its not for you. but if its all you want to do, then go for it - you might find that if you're interested in it you would do well.

in no way am i trying to crush your dreams or anything, its just i've seen it happen first hand so its good to be realistic than to find out later.
obviously please talk to a careers advisor to get the facts, dont just listen to me.
Reply 16
Original post by SeaJay
NOOOO! Not necessarily!!!! Did you read my posts?? Sorry for all the exclamation marks, but please be soo careful when choosing the course. Contact the unis first and talk to them about what they require. Also, see which modules there are on the health course at this college - don't take crappy ones like the ones on mine. I know OT is less competitive than PT, but you've still got to be careful.

Please don't waste a year like I did.

Cx

haha its fine

i didnt read that link you pasted, i clicked it and it was just a random page 47 out of 100 or something and the post wasnt even by you so i thought you made a mistake

ive emailed salford uni now and said im interested in occupational therapy and will an access course and my gcse grades be enough, and also said is a health care access course acceptable. It confuses me this, i dont get what else im meant to do, occupational therapy is health care and there isnt an actual access to occupational therapy course so i dont see what else i can do
Reply 17
she didnt do brilliantly in either. she got a 2:2 at derby, because (not to offend anyone) but its a pretty poor uni. obviously even someone who did badly could in theory do well at uni, but its very competitive, so if you didnt think you'd get at least a 2:1 then maybe its not for you. but if its all you want to do, then go for it - you might find that if you're interested in it you would do well.

in no way am i trying to crush your dreams or anything, its just i've seen it happen first hand so its good to be realistic than to find out later.
obviously please talk to a careers advisor to get the facts, dont just listen to me.

whats a 2:2 and a 2:1 ?

i still dont get what your saying, are you saying your friend got onto an actual occupational therapy uni course, didnt do well on it but still passed and can now not find employment ?

and apparently some of this is because its a poor university ?

i didnt know that employers were concerned about what university you took the subject at, passing your subject is passing your subject surely it doesnt matter where you passed it, its the same course
Reply 18
Original post by Dave10
haha its fine

i didnt read that link you pasted, i clicked it and it was just a random page 47 out of 100 or something and the post wasnt even by you so i thought you made a mistake

ive emailed salford uni now and said im interested in occupational therapy and will an access course and my gcse grades be enough, and also said is a health care access course acceptable. It confuses me this, i dont get what else im meant to do, occupational therapy is health care and there isnt an actual access to occupational therapy course so i dont see what else i can do

It's page 47 out of 49 actually so not much to read through. You will find my posts starting on that page about half way down (control F seajay). All access to health courses have different modules. you NEED to find one with strong modules, not wishy washy ones otherwise you're screwed. I would do access to science as it's better respected than access to health, but then I haven't looked into OT so I'm not sure what is required. Some access to health courses have good modules, some have rubbish ones. Ask your college for a break down of which ones they include AND how many credits are attached to each module.
Original post by Dave10
Hi

you have 3 unless i've misunderstood. anyway just phone them. if your a mature student you stand even more chance of them being lenient on GCSE's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending