The Student Room Group

Depression at university

Keep anon please mods

Hi I know there are loads of people who have made threads and I've already read them.

I just wanted to know what happened while you were at uni when you were depressed, did you miss lessons and did any of you failed. Or did your university understand your situation and you got to go into the next year.

I am currently in my second year but I had to repeat the first year because I got really depressed and hardly came in or gave in work for missing so many lessons in during both semesters with about 54% attendance. (You need 75%)

I've done well this year on a 2:1/2:2 grade and giving in work last semester but I have fell back into depression at the end of Feb that's how my grades started to slip to a 2:2. Now I'm taking antidepressants and seeing a counsellor, which I know I should have done sooner but I guess I was cynical and stubborn about it.

I'm now worried that I won't be able to get into year 3 and I will have to repeat the year because of my lack of attendance for the last couple of weeks. Meaning I'll be at uni for 5 years >.< which I really don't want to. I can still do the work for this semester deadlines if I focus even if I get a 3 :frown:
I can get evidence from the GP and counsellor so that's the the problem.

Has anyone who has been depressed and missed lessons was you able to finish the year and go into the next year (or do some of the previous modules with your current one) or did you have to repeat the whole year. :frown:

Please no trolls I want this to be a serious thread.
I want to know this too. I'm in college and feel the same way. I'm trying to do the work at home but I feel like I've giving up on education because it feels so trivial (I've learned all I've needed to learn and I'm not learning things anymore, just working). I've been missing days now and it's bothering me but I can't face going in.
Reply 2
as a second year uni student i can understand what you mean , depression at university is really a common problem while the rush of lessons and unfinished subjects , all what you need is to take a rest to refresh yourself and to get ready to start over . you can help yourself by making a studying schedule ( it really helps ) and that way you can feel that it's easy to finish before it's to late for the finals... hope that i could help and good luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I want to know this too. I'm in college and feel the same way. I'm trying to do the work at home but I feel like I've giving up on education because it feels so trivial (I've learned all I've needed to learn and I'm not learning things anymore, just working). I've been missing days now and it's bothering me but I can't face going in.

know exactly how you feel! i just wanna quit college and give up, i can just sit there for hours and not do anything... i dont even have the guts to make a GP appointment cas i dont want my parents to know ...
do you guys think depression ever really leaves someone?
good luck thread starter x
Reply 4
Original post by lostlizzy
know exactly how you feel! i just wanna quit college and give up, i can just sit there for hours and not do anything... i dont even have the guts to make a GP appointment cas i dont want my parents to know ...
do you guys think depression ever really leaves someone?
good luck thread starter x

Thanks

But you should really see the GP if you are over 18 the doctors are not allowed to tell them.
I was like that before that's why I didn't get help sooner but it really is helpful and the people are really supportive about it.
The GP told me 1 in 4 people have a mental illness (even though I don't like that term) so it's common.

I don't think depression does leave someone since it can't be cured but doing things can help like exercising taking up a hobby, things to take your mind off of it.

Hope you find a way to help yourself :redface:
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
Anyone :frown:
Keep anon please mods

Hi I know there are loads of people who have made threads and I've already read them.

I just wanted to know what happened while you were at uni when you were depressed, did you miss lessons and did any of you failed. Or did your university understand your situation and you got to go into the next year.

I am currently in my second year but I had to repeat the first year because I got really depressed and hardly came in or gave in work for missing so many lessons in during both semesters with about 54% attendance. (You need 75%)

I've done well this year on a 2:1/2:2 grade and giving in work last semester but I have fell back into depression at the end of Feb that's how my grades started to slip to a 2:2. Now I'm taking antidepressants and seeing a counsellor, which I know I should have done sooner but I guess I was cynical and stubborn about it.

I'm now worried that I won't be able to get into year 3 and I will have to repeat the year because of my lack of attendance for the last couple of weeks. Meaning I'll be at uni for 5 years >.< which I really don't want to. I can still do the work for this semester deadlines if I focus even if I get a 3 :frown:
I can get evidence from the GP and counsellor so that's the the problem.

Has anyone who has been depressed and missed lessons was you able to finish the year and go into the next year (or do some of the previous modules with your current one) or did you have to repeat the whole year. :frown:

Please no trolls I want this to be a serious thread.

:hello:

I had the delightful combination of a six-month psychotic episode and nervous breakdown in the final six months of my degree, starting in January 2010. I was asked if I want to leave Oxford completely, leave Oxford and come back in October (i.e. leave halfway through the year and effectively repeat) or whether I wanted to carry on. I had no intention of going anywhere because that would have made things worse, so I stayed but was pulled out of all my lectures, seminars and tutorials. So basically did nothing academic those six months aside from coursework and exams (and I walked out of 25% of those, due to psychotic attacks).

I finished the year and whilst I may not have got the best result in the world, I'm pretty impressed with the results I got given I walked into everything cold turkey and didn't finish 25% of the exams :yep:

In my case though, I was helped by the fact that I was too crazy to think about what I was trying to do and I had an amazing welfare team :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:hello:

I had the delightful combination of a six-month psychotic episode and nervous breakdown in the final six months of my degree, starting in January 2010. I was asked if I want to leave Oxford completely, leave Oxford and come back in October (i.e. leave halfway through the year and effectively repeat) or whether I wanted to carry on. I had no intention of going anywhere because that would have made things worse, so I stayed but was pulled out of all my lectures, seminars and tutorials. So basically did nothing academic those six months aside from coursework and exams (and I walked out of 25% of those, due to psychotic attacks).

I finished the year and whilst I may not have got the best result in the world, I'm pretty impressed with the results I got given I walked into everything cold turkey and didn't finish 25% of the exams :yep:

In my case though, I was helped by the fact that I was too crazy to think about what I was trying to do and I had an amazing welfare team :smile:

Hi thanks for replying :redface:

You have a valid reason to pass I guess my case is mild compared to yours my anxiety gets in the way of me leaving the house for the past couple of weeks.
The only time I've left is to go to appointments but the uni, tutors,counsellor,GP know so it's not like I'm bunking uni. Plus the advisor's are nice but I send a email and I don't get a reply back for a week I feel like it's being dragged out and I'm running out of time.

I don't know I'm worried that my attendance means I have to repeat the year and that will make me more depressed because I would feel that I've let down my parents and they will be disappointed. :frown:
Hi thanks for replying :redface:

You have a valid reason to pass I guess my case is mild compared to yours my anxiety gets in the way of me leaving the house for the past couple of weeks.
The only time I've left is to go to appointments but the uni, tutors,counsellor,GP know so it's not like I'm bunking uni. Plus the advisor's are nice but I send a email and I don't get a reply back for a week I feel like it's being dragged out and I'm running out of time.

I don't know I'm worried that my attendance means I have to repeat the year and that will make me more depressed because I would feel that I've let down my parents and they will be disappointed. :frown:

Different unis have different policies about retaking years, how many chances you get, etc. There must be a handbook you have access to which might outline this.

Have you tried asking your tutors and advisers about whether you're going to need to resit the year? Try not to worry about what your parents will think (easier said than done, I know): ultimately your health and happiness is the most important thing and both are crucial to you being able to succeed at uni :yes:
Reply 10
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Different unis have different policies about retaking years, how many chances you get, etc. There must be a handbook you have access to which might outline this.

Have you tried asking your tutors and advisers about whether you're going to need to resit the year? Try not to worry about what your parents will think (easier said than done, I know): ultimately your health and happiness is the most important thing and both are crucial to you being able to succeed at uni :yes:

Thanks
Reply 11
Thanks

But you should really see the GP if you are over 18 the doctors are not allowed to tell them.
I was like that before that's why I didn't get help sooner but it really is helpful and the people are really supportive about it.
The GP told me 1 in 4 people have a mental illness (even though I don't like that term) so it's common.

I don't think depression does leave someone since it can't be cured but doing things can help like exercising taking up a hobby, things to take your mind off of it.

Hope you find a way to help yourself :redface:

thankyou for this comment, cheered me up a bit :smile:
im not over 18, im 17 in 2 weeks, they vaguely know whats going on but they dont know why, do you know if i can make a GP appointment myself??
i went to the school counsellor once and she was very helpful, but im at college now, whoever i talk to can tell on me so its kinda difficult...
i hate being depressed
Original post by lostlizzy
thankyou for this comment, cheered me up a bit :smile:
im not over 18, im 17 in 2 weeks, they vaguely know whats going on but they dont know why, do you know if i can make a GP appointment myself??
i went to the school counsellor once and she was very helpful, but im at college now, whoever i talk to can tell on me so its kinda difficult...
i hate being depressed

You can make an appointment to the GP and because you are 17 any antidepressants they will give you would be free.

Why would anyone tell on you? You can PM me if you want.

Depression is horrible, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Good luck with everything :redface:
Reply 13
Original post by ForeverGolden
You can PM me if you want.

hey just tried to PM you and it didnt work????
I got majorly depressed in my first year of university. On the morning of my Law exams I decided I wasn't going to go, as I'd hardly done any of the work and missed a lot of lessons. I didn't want to seem like a failure to my parents, and I wasn't that keen on Law after that anyway, so I changed to a computer course. I had to redo first year as it was completely different to Law.

I went in and out of (smaller) depressions during the rest of my uni years, and lost it a bit in the 3rd year and didn't want to do my dissertation even though it was worth 80% of that year. I had to keep going though, I couldn't be a failure. Mainly didn't want to let my mum down as her only dream was to see me finish university. I mainly did it for her, and for myself as well of course. Just had to push myself. Thought about how good it would be to finish uni. You don't have that long to go! If it's a problem tell the university and they can give you a concession, for example they might put your marks up or if you don't do a piece of work, they might give you an estimated mark based on the work you did before. Don't give up!! Do some other things apart from work, it's good to keep your mind off things as well. You can do it! You're so close :smile:
I'm in exactly the same position as you in first year Law too. I'm worried that I'm going to fail but at the same time I don't care because I plan to change to a History course in second year. How did your exams go? Did you fail any? As I'm worried that if I fail even one module/exam I won't be able to change course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending