The Student Room Group

I sometimes literally treat life like a video game

Hey,

I hope this doesn't sound too weird..

I do this occasionally, I like to kind of disassociate perhaps? I do this by drawing my perspective back a bit, not in a contextual sense but universally. I literally control myself and take notice of my perspective as if I'm observing it, not "living it". I suppose it's a heightened sense of awareness because I sort of become aware of details around me and act with a surreal level of intention.

I don't really know how I can go into much detail here, but that's what I do, and it relives a great deal of stress.

Is this a concern?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That sounds like so much fun. I don't see the problem.
Probably not unless it's Grand Theft Auto or something...

I think I do that sometimes, kind of drift off and everything just seems unreal.
Reply 3
You just reminded me of an episode of misfits :biggrin:. I think people do it on some level because I have heard friends talk about something similar. It's not really a concern if it doesn't affect your life though, it sounds like you're just sort of observing from an onlooker point of view so not really changing your actions because of it. (this is from what I understand of what you said so i might be a bit off-key if I've misunderstood)
First thought... not the exact video but similar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlA-b7jR0mg&feature=related

And no, that's not weird. Stepping back and looking at a situation is something that many people do/ should do...
I really hope not cos I would have murdered a lot of people:cry2:
Reply 6
Original post by Know_ThySelf
First thought... not the exact video but similar....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlA-b7jR0mg&feature=related

And no, that's not weird. Stepping back and looking at a situation is something that many people do/ should do...

No I don't look at the situation, I just react to it. But I'm not "there" mentally. It's not "Stepping back" it's like playing a First Person RPG.
I've sort of done that before, albeit unintentionally. It started of as a really philosophical thought which slowly became a slight surreality for 5 minutes before returning to normal.

Didn't have anything in my system that day either, was really peculiar.
Reply 8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTR4sAD_4qM - talks about the key to happiness.

It's not being 'zombified'.

Might be a bit arrogant to assume most people are less conscious than you though.

Original post by Anonymous
No I don't look at the situation, I just react to it. But I'm not "there" mentally. It's not "Stepping back" it's like playing a First Person RPG.

That sounds like the opposite of what you said first.
(edited 13 years ago)
I totally get what you mean.
(edited 13 years ago)
I always think "Quick, undo!"
Then remember I'm not a Sim.

Not really the same though.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey,

I hope this doesn't sound too weird..

I do this occasionally, I like to kind of disassociate perhaps? I do this by drawing my perspective back a bit, not in a contextual sense but universally. I literally control myself and take notice of my perspective as if I'm observing it, not "living it". I suppose it's a heightened sense of awareness because I sort of become aware of details around me and act with a surreal level of intention.

I don't really know how I can go into much detail here, but that's what I do, and it relives a great deal of stress.

Is this a concern?

I DO THIS TOO! :smile:
and also I think of everything in the context of objectives. e.g. Go to maths class. CHECK
Go to common room. CHECK
Complete homework. CHECK etc
I keep thinking I'm a Sim. And guage my life around the Sims way of doing stuff. Like, "If I talk to my friend for twenty more minutes, our relationship points will increase." Or "If I practice the piano, I'll gain a creativity skill point." Not really, but you know.
so many crazy people :eek:
Reply 14
Driving is not a good time to pretend you're playing Mario Kart...:redface:
Reply 15
Yeah I do all the time - the worst is when you're in a conversation and you start to imagine the dialogue choices and co-responding karma gain when speaking with someone...

Not that I do that. :ninja:
There is nothing wrong with that. In fact I encourage it. Life is similar to that of a video game in some respects. I sometimes think that life is one massive RPG. You go through levels earning experience on your journeys that helps you to deal with future endeavors - nifty.
This happens to me every other day. I just take a step back mentally and observe everything around me which is really vivid. It feels like I'm seeing everything in the 3rd person when it happens. I don't think I made sense but it isn't easy to explain. Btw op can you explain a bit further what happens to you?
A few days ago after laying out some tooth paste on my brush I shouted out POWER SLUG. No idea why... took a long hard look at myself in the mirror after. This appears to be the most relevant thread for getting that off my chest.
Original post by jhnj92
Damn it those pikachu's on your sig should collide already! :biggrin:

:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending