The Student Room Group

Help....new member and cannot decide which uni; Cardiff or Glamorgan

I am wondering if anyone could offer any advice? I am a mature student and am coming to the end of my Access course. I have been incredibly lucky in recieving 2 offers to study for a Mental Health Nursing degree at Uni; Cardiff and Glamorgan. I live in Cardiff and the rational choice would be to choose Cardiff and also because of the prestige of Cardiff Uni, however, I have heard that Glamorgan is more supportive and student orientated and Cardiff is dis-organised. I just do not know what to do for the best. I do not want to make the wrong choice as I really want to suceed and get my degree. Can anyone help? Much appreciated if anyone can.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd say Cardiff because of its superior reputation. Personal anectdotes that portray Cardiff as disorganised shouldn't deter you from choosing it.
Reply 2
Thanks for your post. Cardiff have offered Sept 2011 intake as opposed to Glamorgan who have offered March 2012. Maybe, as my sis says, I don't give myself enough credit and worry that academically I will struggle. Having said that, I got offered a place at Cardiff so I assume they think I am capable. Maybe I need more faith in myself and should bite the bullet and make my choice sooner rather than later .
Reply 3
Original post by Bizzielizzie37
I am wondering if anyone could offer any advice? I am a mature student and am coming to the end of my Access course. I have been incredibly lucky in recieving 2 offers to study for a Mental Health Nursing degree at Uni; Cardiff and Glamorgan. I live in Cardiff and the rational choice would be to choose Cardiff and also because of the prestige of Cardiff Uni, however, I have heard that Glamorgan is more supportive and student orientated and Cardiff is dis-organised. I just do not know what to do for the best. I do not want to make the wrong choice as I really want to suceed and get my degree. Can anyone help? Much appreciated if anyone can.

I agree with the previous poster Bizzielizzie37 Cardiff has always had a high reputation not just as a university for what it offers its undergraduates,you done really well to receive two offers for mental Health Nursing as i believe its very highly competitive these days to secure a place at any university that offers such degrees.So well done to you,both universities must have seen something they liked in you to offer you a place and good luck in what ever you do decide to do Bizzielizzie37
I'd say Cardiff. Superior reputation and it has the University Hospital Wales.
Reply 5

How mature Lizzie? I'm 28 and starting in Cardiff in September.

Find it baffling how Glamorgan can be described as supportive when they ignored my phone calls, answer phone messages and emails both prior to and after applying! Cardiff have easily been far more professional throughout.

I'm looking forward to being based at the Heath, and understand that Cardiff have a very high employment rate within the local authority after qualifying (97% I think).

Just my experience with the universities though and good luck with whatever you choose!
Reply 6

Glamorgan is awful.
Reply 7
Cardiff.
Reply 8
I have to say in my experience Glamorgan are very supportive, I have just started my MH training at Glamorgan and I have had no problems with contacting any of the tutors, even of a weekend if you email them they will normally reply. I have no idea about Cardiff as I never considered going there but I'm sure they are just as supportive in their own way! I think or so I'm told Glamorgan have a higher percentage of students within MH who go on to be employed at the end of the 3 years.

Good luck in whichever you choose and well done getting offers at both.
Cardiff it has a better reputation, and also if they offered you the place I'm sure they believe you can do it. :smile:
If Cardiff have given you an offer, you should go there! They certainly have a better reputation. I also went to an open day at Glamorgan and I have to say I wasn't hugely impressed. Good luck! :smile:
Original post by mitchwales
How mature Lizzie? I'm 28 and starting in Cardiff in September.

Find it baffling how Glamorgan can be described as supportive when they ignored my phone calls, answer phone messages and emails both prior to and after applying! Cardiff have easily been far more professional throughout.

I'm looking forward to being based at the Heath, and understand that Cardiff have a very high employment rate within the local authority after qualifying (97% I think).

Just my experience with the universities though and good luck with whatever you choose!

Thanks for your reply. I am 37. Which branch have you chosen? Well done for getting a place too as the competition for nursing places is huge.
Original post by wizardtop
I agree with the previous poster Bizzielizzie37 Cardiff has always had a high reputation not just as a university for what it offers its undergraduates,you done really well to receive two offers for mental Health Nursing as i believe its very highly competitive these days to secure a place at any university that offers such degrees.So well done to you,both universities must have seen something they liked in you to offer you a place and good luck in what ever you do decide to do Bizzielizzie37

Thanks for your reply wizardtop. Planning on making my choice by this Sunday at the lastest. Never ever thought it would be this difficult lol
Original post by themusicalnurse
If Cardiff have given you an offer, you should go there! They certainly have a better reputation. I also went to an open day at Glamorgan and I have to say I wasn't hugely impressed. Good luck! :smile:

Thas for your reply. Much appreciated :smile:
Original post by Jack McGill
Cardiff it has a better reputation, and also if they offered you the place I'm sure they believe you can do it. :smile:

Thanks for your reply, Such a hard choice :smile:
Original post by pricer79
I have to say in my experience Glamorgan are very supportive, I have just started my MH training at Glamorgan and I have had no problems with contacting any of the tutors, even of a weekend if you email them they will normally reply. I have no idea about Cardiff as I never considered going there but I'm sure they are just as supportive in their own way! I think or so I'm told Glamorgan have a higher percentage of students within MH who go on to be employed at the end of the 3 years.

Good luck in whichever you choose and well done getting offers at both.

Thanks for your post. I was favouring Glamorgan initially but started faltering. Cardiff then was coming first due to costs of travel, reputation etc. Planning on making a choice by Sunday so I can focus more on finishing my access course.
Glad all seems to be going well for you. Good luck
Original post by TheGrandmaster
I'd say Cardiff. Superior reputation and it has the University Hospital Wales.

Thanks for your post. Going to make a choice by Sunday. Cannot believe how hard it has been trying to decide!!! I agree etc with reputation of Cardiff.
Reply 17
But Glamorgan is top in wales for nursing.. saying that though if i had an offer at cardiff i would go there :smile:
Reply 18
Before I applied to do my access course with a view to nursing, I phoned Cardiff admissions to see what their requirements were and they were really clear and ever since, every time I have been in contact with them I have had a good experience. I also contacted Glamorgan at around the same times and had much worse experiences with them. Not answering phone, replying to emails e.t.c. I had interviews at both but still had my heart set on Cardiff. That is where I have a place for March 2012 and I am so pleased!
I heard that nursing at Glamorgan is actually really good, I'm not sure about Cardiff.
Just because Cardiff has a superior overall reputation it doesn't mean that it's nursing department is of a high standard than Glamorgan.
Have you visited both the uni departments to see what the feel is like? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest