The Student Room Group

Med A-level choices problems - Imperial Med!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by chippednails
Even though it's a BSc degree?

Still no
Reply 21
Original post by chippednails
I feel terrible for getting involved in this discussion because I'm not a prospective med student. I've applied for Economics with A level Chemistry, Economics, Philosophy + AS Maths.
I hear Sociology is an easy subject, you can get a good grade in it then drop it.

Haha, it's fine :smile: I was thinking just that with maths, then I realised I couldn't even get a decent grade, so I messed up :/
Reply 22
Original post by betaomega
So are you planning on doing the AS over the summer?

No, during my A2 year, alongside A-levels in Bio, Chem and Psych :smile:
Original post by Caprisun!
RS is the most respected subject out of all of them.

It's a good, soundly respected, subject without those other subjects surrounding it anyway :p:
Reply 24
Original post by Hennnaa

Original post by Hennnaa
Biology & Chemistry are a must, okay, we got that one.

But would I not stand a chance with a third A-level in Psychology and a fourth AS in Sociology? Law? RS?

Also, I can't do maths or physics at all. :smile:

UCL and Barts and the London have replied saying that that's fine, Southampton haven't replied, but then again, they haven't even specified if they want a fourth AS, so yeah, I'd assume they agree.
It's Imperial that's the problem...they haven't replied and I'm being told I wouldn't make it to interview with the above combination :s-smilie:
(I've wanted to go here since I was thirteen, so it is a big deal to me, and no I'm not going to think of not applying there!)

Advice on that?

Also, given that my school does not cooperate with me, would AS Sociology (or any other one) with ICS learning (distance learning) be okay, or would it not really count on my UCAS...? :s-smilie:

Really confused. Help. :confused:

Doesn't make a difference really, if your intending on going to Imperial and take the BMAT without decent Physics/Maths skills your not going to get an interview. Brush up!
Reply 25
Original post by gozatron
Doesn't make a difference really, if your intending on going to Imperial and take the BMAT without decent Physics/Maths skills your not going to get an interview. Brush up!

I meant A-level, I've been told the BMAT and UKCAT don't have A-level standard maths and physics.
Reply 26
Original post by Hennnaa

Original post by Hennnaa
I meant A-level, I've been told the BMAT and UKCAT don't have A-level standard maths and physics.

That's a bit of a lie.
Reply 27
Original post by oHellno
That's a bit of a lie.

Seriously...then how have people I know gotten into places like Imperial and UCL with great BMATs and not taken A-levels in maths or physics?
oHellno
That's a bit of a lie.

Original post by Hennnaa
Seriously...then how have people I know gotten into places like Imperial and UCL with great BMATs and not taken A-levels in maths or physics?

:yep: Like moi. You can swot the GCSE syllabuses (?different exam boards?), practice and get a good score as you say. It's the way the questions are phrased rather than the content - a bit of lateral thinking =/= this **** must be from A Level. However, if you are taking them at A Level then:
1) evidently the concepts are going to be much fresher in your head, though it would pay to go over the GCSE syllabuses anyway.
2) if you're maxing out UMS without too much hassle, then clearly maths & physics come somewhat naturally to you anyway (certainly didn't to me!).

But yeah, you can not do them at A Level and still do well.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Blatant Troll
:yep: Like moi. You can swot the GCSE syllabuses (?different exam boards?), practice and get a good score as you say. It's the way the questions are phrased rather than the content - a bit of lateral thinking =/= this **** must be from A Level. However, if you are taking them at A Level then:
1) evidently the concepts are going to be much fresher in your head, though it would pay to go over the GCSE syllabuses anyway.
2) if you're maxing out UMS without too much hassle, then clearly maths & physics come somewhat naturally to you anyway (certainly didn't to me!).

But yeah, you can not do them at A Level and still do well.

Oh goodie :smile: I've done the whole AS maths syllabus (just not going to do the exams and get the AS because I won't pass) so I just need to brush up on that, and GCSE Physics was a breeze, I'll just go through the CGP guide and my friends textbook, should be fine :smile: As for the people who think it's A-level standard due to the wording - you call yourself smart? Ha.

Where do you go, btw? Also what A-levels did you do (just want people's opnions, not gonna stalk you :wink: )
Reply 30
Original post by oHellno
That's a bit of a lie.

Well, it shouldn't be because when I last checked neither of those subjects are required for the courses that require you to do the BMAT/UKCAT.
Original post by Hennnaa
Well, it shouldn't be because when I last checked neither of those subjects are required for the courses that require you to do the BMAT/UKCAT.

There will probably be things on the BMAT that you didn't do for GCSE. There are different syallabuses for GCSE, so it's likely you won't have learnt everything.
Original post by Hennnaa
Oh goodie :smile: I've done the whole AS maths syllabus (just not going to do the exams and get the AS because I won't pass) so I just need to brush up on that, and GCSE Physics was a breeze, I'll just go through the CGP guide and my friends textbook, should be fine :smile: As for the people who think it's A-level standard due to the wording - you call yourself smart? Ha.

Where do you go, btw? Also what A-levels did you do (just want people's opnions, not gonna stalk you :wink: )

^Jonty99 articulated the different exam boards thing better than I did - another thing to bare in mind.

LOL it's cool. Year 2 ICSM. I did Bio Chem French A2, Psychology AS.
Reply 33
Original post by Hennnaa

Original post by Hennnaa

It's not exactly A Level standard, which is why I said 'a bit' but from what I've heard it certainly isn't as simple as GCSE either. So if you don't do Physics and Maths you're going to have put some extra effort into those subjects if you want to do well. They aren't required but they do help. In the same way, I've been told that people who do A level critical thinking will be at an advantage for the first section. So obviously that doesn't mean that Critical Thinking must be done at A level, it just means that it would help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending