The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Leicester accomodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
hey does anyone know what the 'premium flat' accommodation type in JoFo is like??
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 101
Original post by odacel
In the Beaumont blocks it seems like boys are on the ground floor and girls on 1st, so maybe it's fine you're on the ground floor :tongue:

Yep. This is the case for Beaumont (although I can only speak for old court- Blocks 1-4) and several of the other halls/ houses too.
Reply 102
ahhh people better not steal JoFo away from me :biggrin:

just sent my application off now, just need to get the results :smile:

JoFo Premium + Self Catered
JoFo Premium Self Catered
Jofo Premium + Catered
JoFo Premium Flat
Jofo Single Self Catered
GMS Premium Self Catered

That's my application :smile:
Reply 103
Original post by Hardie
ahhh people better not steal JoFo away from me :biggrin:

just sent my application off now, just need to get the results :smile:

JoFo Premium + Self Catered
JoFo Premium Self Catered
Jofo Premium + Catered
JoFo Premium Flat
Jofo Single Self Catered
GMS Premium Self Catered

That's my application :smile:

I did this too! 5 John Foster and 1 GMS :tongue: except I put catered down first :smile:
Reaaaallyyy hope I get JoFo too.
Original post by odacel
In the Beaumont blocks it seems like boys are on the ground floor and girls on 1st, so maybe it's fine you're on the ground floor :tongue:

I'm in Beaumont Block 2, Ground Floor but I'm a girl, hahaha :smile:
Reply 105
I got given Nixon Court after not getting John Foster, at first I was pissed, but then I realised how much money I was saving!! And no buses ever, even to town! However, my flat has had so many problems, its not at all premium! If saving money is what you're after go for it.

They have built new accommodation on the site but the rooms are going for around £4500 its Luxury living but...
Reply 106
Original post by Mudya
I got given Nixon Court after not getting John Foster, at first I was pissed, but then I realised how much money I was saving!! And no buses ever, even to town! However, my flat has had so many problems, its not at all premium! If saving money is what you're after go for it.

They have built new accommodation on the site but the rooms are going for around £4500 its Luxury living but...

How much nicer are the rooms and do they justify the £4500 ?

I only applied for Nixon and Opal as I didn't fancy the bus from Oadby every day....... now I'm hearing negatiev things which is a bit off putting.
Reply 107
Original post by BigV
How much nicer are the rooms and do they justify the £4500 ?

I only applied for Nixon and Opal as I didn't fancy the bus from Oadby every day....... now I'm hearing negatiev things which is a bit off putting.

The rooms in new Nixon are obviously going to be pretty substantial. They are all double en-suite rooms, wifi, I think you have your own washing machine in your kitchen which you will share with 5 people. Your definitely going to be living in the best accommodation the university provides. If you can afford it, go for it.

I think the best thing about city living is that you are so close to the university and town, and Morrisons is 5 minutes away too.

http://www.le.ac.uk/accommodation/nixoncourt/index.html

Edit: Oops my bad, the Premium+ ensuite rooms are actually £5,439...
If your getting the full maintenance loan and grant (£6403) - that will leave you with £964, will that be enough for books, laundry, shopping and a social life? And remember if your not getting the full loan, it won't cover it. If you're getting help from your parents you should be ok.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by shamim2k9
woohoo got my accomodation! In beaumont hall block 1 :biggrin: woulda preffered if it wasn't on the ground floor but atleast everything is sorted...almost

How long did it take for you to get a reply? I only applied a couple of days ago cos I got my offer quite late and I'm worried I'll end up in Digby :s-smilie: I've heard it's quite bad.
I've got an unconditional though, does that mean I'm more likely to get first choice?
Original post by Snap.Crackle.Pop.
How long did it take for you to get a reply? I only applied a couple of days ago cos I got my offer quite late and I'm worried I'll end up in Digby :s-smilie: I've heard it's quite bad.
I've got an unconditional though, does that mean I'm more likely to get first choice?

Mine took about 3 weeks :rolleyes: and its very likely you'll get your first choice because of your unconditional :cool:
Reply 110
Original post by Mudya
The rooms in new Nixon are obviously going to be pretty substantial. They are all double en-suite rooms, wifi, I think you have your own washing machine in your kitchen which you will share with 5 people. Your definitely going to be living in the best accommodation the university provides. If you can afford it, go for it.

I think the best thing about city living is that you are so close to the university and town, and Morrisons is 5 minutes away too.

http://www.le.ac.uk/accommodation/nixoncourt/index.html

It is the city living aspect that appeals to me and as a "mature" student I really want self-catering too.

I see they have added the prices now (they were not available earlier in the year)....... the prices are a bit weird though; I don't understand how can a premium room at nixon can be more than a premium flat at opal.......

Also, with such a small differential in price between the rooms and studio apartments at nixon, why would anyone who can afford a premium room not just go for a flat anyway?
Reply 111
Original post by BigV
It is the city living aspect that appeals to me and as a "mature" student I really want self-catering too.

I see they have added the prices now (they were not available earlier in the year)....... the prices are a bit weird though; I don't understand how can a premium room at nixon can be more than a premium flat at opal.......

Also, with such a small differential in price between the rooms and studio apartments at nixon, why would anyone who can afford a premium room not just go for a flat anyway?

Exactly! The thing is Nixon Court is brand new, opal is older, but still really nice, so they are essentially charging you extra because everything is 'shiny' and expensive. The best thing about living in new Nixon would be knowing that nothing would ever go wrong, its more private too.

They usually group you according to sex, age and course, which is pretty nice. They have a whole block designated to mature and postgraduate students (old Nixon).
Reply 112
Original post by goerigi
what a drag...
thanks for clearing that up though :smile:

It isn't all bad though........... I believe they use application dates to help with the process of allocation........... so if you applied early you have a greater chance of getting your 1st choice.
Reply 113
im at a boarding school at the moment, and here the houses seem to all have their own identities within the school, for example theres one house thats full of sporty people, another which is totally dominated by overseas students etc.. I was just wondering if the different halls at leicester has the same situation.

Personally im very sporty and very sociable, will plan on getting out and about alot, so if anyone could give me any feedback as to where i would be best suited that would be great.

Ill probably be looking at catered, whether its ensuite or not is fairly low on my list of importance
Original post by tja1
im at a boarding school at the moment, and here the houses seem to all have their own identities within the school, for example theres one house thats full of sporty people, another which is totally dominated by overseas students etc.. I was just wondering if the different halls at leicester has the same situation.

Personally im very sporty and very sociable, will plan on getting out and about alot, so if anyone could give me any feedback as to where i would be best suited that would be great.

Ill probably be looking at catered, whether its ensuite or not is fairly low on my list of importance

Not particulary, on your accomidation form you can request to be put near/next to people with similar interests but it doesn't always work out. My friend in his small block really only has the one person that he gets on with and has any similar interests with.

It's rather a lottery on if you do. Besides isn't it good to be around those with different interests as well? Gives you more to talk about and engage in. Can give you completely new perspectives on things.
I'm currently in my second year and lived in Digby last year, in Yellow block.
I really don't think people can say 'don't live there', that's ridiculous it's one of the most sociable halls and to some extent it doesn't really matter where you live, everywhere in the OSV is a lovely environment to live in, and as long as you through yourself into freshers week you'll have a friendship network for the rest of your time there. I had the best year of my life, there's nothing wrong with Digby!
The best way to chose is to look around for yourself, or go online and watch their video, i'm sure there is one on Youtube. I wouldn't recommend Nixon or Freemans Common.
I've already wrote this in another 'Leicester halls thread' but thought I'd copy and paste it here too, as no one's really mentioned Beaumont, and I think you should give it a chance :tongue:

Thought I'd give my opinion...

Beaumont =deffs the best! I'm in old court, so in a block of about 20 people. Girls are upstairs and boys are down. Thought it would be awful and segregated but it was actually brilliant. no messy kitchen (I'm a girl ) but I'm really good mates with all the lads downstairs and we all predrink together in a middle 'social area'. So you really do get to know everyone!

Plus, at beaumont, you get to meet people from different blocks either through the dining room, nights out (hall bar crawls!), or block parties -of which there are many!!! I think I know at least one person from every block -and are friends with their friends So I really would say beaumonts the most social I've friend's in jofo who really wish they had picked Beaumont.

Bar -always busy unlike jo fo which I went to once and it was dead (dunno how it is all the time though). There's also a TV room, and snooker table. The bar's really cosy, and has a 'pub like' quality feel to it I think. Plus, it looks out over to the Beautanical gardens which are stunning, and great for chilling in, in the summer when you're putting off revision

Rooms: I'm ensuite and honestly, I couldn't fault my room. Room sizes vary, the lass next door to me has a massive room! (and it isn't a disabled one) Mine's a L shape, but compared to friends at other unis, its pretty bit. Showers like a wet room, but that's never been a problem. Course, it isn't as posh as jo fo, but at the end of the day we're students. We shouldn't want posh hotel accommodation. We should want to have the best, most fun daft, social uni experience and bugger if we get it a bit messy!

We also have cleaners, who hoover our room, clean wetrooms and help clear up all the predrinks mess =godsend!! Ours is lovely.

Catered: food is ****. buuuut, I wouldn't change go back. if your self catered at beaumont, you live in smaller houses of 4/5 I think. and the dining room is an experience, and a good way of meeting new people/being sociable with flatmates

Hope this all helps!!
Hi,

I am an Erasmus student for the next academic year in Leicester, and I am going to apply for an accomodation on the campus.
Could anyone advice me about the place I should chose ? As I enjoy making new friends and partying, I would like to live in a very sociable place, not only with Erasmus students, but also with English students.

Moreover, should I apply for a catered or self-catered room ? I guess British meals are quite special, but in the other hand I dont really know how to cook, and if I live in a self catered room, will I be able to use kitchenware ?

+ I dont really understand the difference between the types of rooms : what does mean : standard/standard+/premium/premium+ single/ensuite ??

Thx for helping me :smile:
Reply 118
Original post by ErasmusStudent
Hi,

I am an Erasmus student for the next academic year in Leicester, and I am going to apply for an accomodation on the campus. Could anyone advice me about the place I should chose ? As I enjoy making new friends and partying, I would like to live in a very sociable place, not only with Erasmus students, but also with English students.

Moreover, should I apply for a catered or self-catered room ? I guess British meals are quite special, but in the other hand I dont really know how to cook, and if I live in a self catered room, will I be able to use kitchenware ?

+ I dont really understand the difference between the types of rooms : what does mean : standard/standard+/premium/premium+ single/ensuite ??

Thx for helping me :smile:

There isn't any accommodation on campus. The closest is about a 10 minute walk away which is all self catered.
Original post by QI Elf
There isn't any accommodation on campus. The closest is about a 10 minute walk away which is all self catered.

I may have mistaken. By "accomodation" I meant all kind of rooms for students. Actually I don't really understand that word ahah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending