The Student Room Group

Is law boring?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
YES
Original post by talespirit
what this person said.

loool.

I had two choices- medical or legal from my family.

I never took up sciences at A-level to the disappointment of my family as I did not make a "wide enough choice"- whatever this may mean.

I ended up doing law- even though I am doing well in it, I hate it so much. No social life, too much work and in the end money = meh.

Is it the same as you?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by The_Male_Melons
loool.

I had two choices- medical or legal from my family.

I never took up sciences at A-level to the disappointment of my family as I did not make a "wide enough choice"- whatever this may mean.

I ended up doing law- even though I am doing well in it, I hate it so much. No social life, too much work and in the end money = meh.

Is it the same as you?

not exactly, i kinda decided to go for law myself from about the time i entered secondary school...but the fact that i stayed in it was because my parents didnt want me to change course. I can't say i'm doing well in it (i'm doing okay, but not great), i've got my social life (though i'm not a party person, so social life means getting to work on my hobbies and taking up freelance jobs), but i agree with the too much work and insanely scary stats regarding employment prospects (3% success rate for training contract bloody hell!). This is what happens to most law students:

Between getting accepted to uni and starting the course - Hell yea! I got into law at x university, I'm gonna fight injustice, change the world! Human Rights ftw! I'm gonna join the Bar!

During First year - maybe i'll go into criminal law, it's more fun and interesting;

Halfway through first year - I'm enjoying may be 1 unit, i hate one, and meh to the rest...maybe i should change course

Second year - OMG what have i gotten myself into?!?!? I hate this! I WANNA DIE!

halfway through second year - gosh i hate my life, but well i'm already halfway through, it's too late and waste too much money to turn back now....

Third year - I've come to terms with the fact that i hate my course, i'll do it, and i'm probably gonna hate my job, but it's better than being jobless.

After third year - becomes corporate slave and enter the crazy vortex of Training Contract application

Based on observation.....(all stats are estimates based on observation, i have no real authority for this)

Number of students starting course - 200
Number of students in third year - 150
Number of students who vow to not touch law again - 50
Number of students entering corporate law - 80% remaining
Number of students getting to the bar - 15%
Those deciding to stay ineducation to escape the reality of legal profession - 5%
Of this, those going into human rights - maybe 1% of the whole 200 who started.

Yea...
Original post by talespirit
not exactly, i kinda decided to go for law myself from about the time i entered secondary school...but the fact that i stayed in it was because my parents didnt want me to change course. I can't say i'm doing well in it (i'm doing okay, but not great), i've got my social life (though i'm not a party person, so social life means getting to work on my hobbies and taking up freelance jobs), but i agree with the too much work and insanely scary stats regarding employment prospects (3% success rate for training contract bloody hell!). This is what happens to most law students:

Between getting accepted to uni and starting the course - Hell yea! I got into law at x university, I'm gonna fight injustice, change the world! Human Rights ftw! I'm gonna join the Bar!

During First year - maybe i'll go into criminal law, it's more fun and interesting;

Halfway through first year - I'm enjoying may be 1 unit, i hate one, and meh to the rest...maybe i should change course

Second year - OMG what have i gotten myself into?!?!? I hate this! I WANNA DIE!

halfway through second year - gosh i hate my life, but well i'm already halfway through, it's too late and waste too much money to turn back now....

Third year - I've come to terms with the fact that i hate my course, i'll do it, and i'm probably gonna hate my job, but it's better than being jobless.

After third year - becomes corporate slave and enter the crazy vortex of Training Contract application

Based on observation.....(all stats are estimates based on observation, i have no real authority for this)

Number of students starting course - 200
Number of students in third year - 150
Number of students who vow to not touch law again - 50
Number of students entering corporate law - 80% remaining
Number of students getting to the bar - 15%
Those deciding to stay ineducation to escape the reality of legal profession - 5%
Of this, those going into human rights - maybe 1% of the whole 200 who started.

Yea...

You have summed it up perfectly.

At first, before going to university, was looking forward to doing law. I had great A-levels. Yes, Law was forced on me, but was looking forward to it.

First year- couple of weeks in, meh, life is now ****.

Half-way through the first year- I would like to change but waste of money.

The rest is true.

I really not enjoyed my time studying law. At the moment, I meant to be revising. I stopped halfway but now, can not be assed continuing. The work load is draining. I feel ****. I don't understand any of it. Can't people deal with **** by themselves? I looked at succession, there is a case about someone writing a will on an egg shell. :rolleyes: Is it me or are claimants/defendants getting dumber?

Half the time, I go to seminars, I end up having the work copied and pasted from google-trust me, it is anything. It doesn't have to be relevant to the topic. An example would be going to equity and trusts seminar with my work copied and pasted from a telegraph article on gay marriage. This has been done.
They use to ask me questions, I use to reword the question, say I was unsure, and read out a whole paragraph off a case or from a text book so slowly. The tutor will say "what is your opinion"? (I have a nice face and they are so nice to me so they haven't given up hope on me). I look at them blankly. They don't bother questioning me in seminar anymore. :biggrin:

First year 250. I reckon third year, there is probably less than 100. My whole life is going to be law, law and law. :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Could anyone give me any more info on the conversion course? :smile:
Original post by Jellybeany
Could anyone give me any more info on the conversion course? :smile:

Hi,

If the conversion course you are referring to is the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), I believe you may be able to find more information at the following website:
http://www.lawcabs.ac.uk

There you may find information about the course and also the various universities that offer the course and their requirements as well.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Original post by Princess Vita
Hi,

If the conversion course you are referring to is the Graduate Diploma in Law (GDL), I believe you may be able to find more information at the following website:
http://www.lawcabs.ac.uk

There you may find information about the course and also the various universities that offer the course and their requirements as well.

Hope this helps. :smile:

Thanks very much :smile:
Reply 47
There will be some parts that will be boring but if that's what you want to do then do it!
The rewards of a Law Degree are huge!
law is not boring i do study at AS too... however you do not need a law degree to pusue a law carrer and i do believe that a degree in law would be a highly interesting and enjoyable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending