The Student Room Group

Is the UKCAT a measure of intelligence or knowledge/technique?

Really, is there any point in buying a gazillion books to prepare for it, since the official UKCAT website states that you don't need to prepare for it?
It's designed to be similar to an IQ test, and therefore unrevisable, but really if you're more familiar with the style of questions you'll get through them faster, which is a great help since you're working in very tight time constraints. I didn't revise for it, but that was before people realised that you could.
You need to practice for it. There is no content as such but getting a feel for the questions and working on timings is really important. If you don't practice, you will most probably get a lower score than if you had practiced.
Reply 3
The whole point is to test your brain power.

Almost anybody can revise for 10 hours a day and get an A* in his A-Levels.

The whole point of the UKCAT is to test your knowledge such as problem solving without you having revised.

This separates the truly intelligent people from the ones that simple revise all day and memorise books.

This is because as a doctor, you often have to think on your feet and draw on your own knowledge without pre-determined answers.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
You can't "revise" for it.

But its a good idea to associate yourself with the type of questions they ask and practice them.
Reply 5
Original post by Ras17
The whole point is to test your brain power.

Any idiot can revise for 10 hours a day and get an A* in his A-Levels.

The whole point of the UKCAT is to test your knowledge such as problem solving without you having revised.

This separates the truly intelligent people from the ones that simple revise all day and memorise books.

This is because as a doctor, you often have to think on your feet and draw on your own knowledge without pre-determined answers.

if so, why have re-applicants gone from 650 to 720 then?
Reply 6
I hate it. I think its an absolute waste of time and effort. Only advice I can give you is to practice, practice, practice.
Sadly a lot of unis use low scores to reject students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending