The Student Room Group

Have I had too many lessons?

Basically I have been learning with an independant driving instructor and have had around 37 hours of driving tuition now.

My test is booked for June and I usually have 1 lesson a week - so by the time I take my test I will have had well over 40 hours of lessons which is working out very expensive

I keep hearing people who have 7 driving lessons and pass their test which I don't understand how as I still don't feel I am fully prepared especially driving in the city with all the confusing lanes etc whilst controlling the car/ gears etc

Maybe I am just realy bad at driving and should have learnt in an automatic :/

How many hours of lessons did you have to pass your test?

Scroll to see replies

My test is in 3 weeks and I've had 40 hrs it all depends on u not anyone else my friend had 15 lessons and passed xx
Reply 2
Nope! Who ever said they had 7 lessons is completely lying! Unless they knew how to drive before ..
some people learn faster and some people don't
ive taken 27 and my test is in july, so i think i will probably reach the 40 mark by then!

Don't worry about it!
Reply 3
It is each to their own I have known people have at least a hundred lessons where as others have had ten.
Original post by Wooah
Basically I have been learning with an independant driving instructor and have had around 37 hours of driving tuition now.

My test is booked for June and I usually have 1 lesson a week - so by the time I take my test I will have had well over 40 hours of lessons which is working out very expensive

I keep hearing people who have 7 driving lessons and pass their test which I don't understand how as I still don't feel I am fully prepared especially driving in the city with all the confusing lanes etc whilst controlling the car/ gears etc

I took about 35 hours and passed on my second test, so don't worry, it'll take as long as it takes, you stop when you feel comfortable.
Reply 5
its possible they had 7 double lessons so did 14 hours but even that is like 1/1000

i passed after 24 hours
Original post by Wooah

Original post by Wooah

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/PracticalTest/DG_4022483

Research shows that learners who have a combination of professional instruction and private practice do better at the driving test. On average, those who pass have had 47 hours of professional instruction and 20 hours of private practice
I had loads of lessons. LOADS.

About 30 hours with one instructor and the same again with my second. Possibly more.

It was really expensive.
Reply 8
Why an automatic? Gears are one of the smallest issues in driving you need to worry about.
I had LOADS of lessons, I'm not even joking, probably nearing 200 .. I was lazy and kept stopping and starting, i started driving lessons aon my 17th birthday and passed 2 months ago, I'm 24 now.. there's no set amount, don't worry and good luck
ha!

Driving lessons with an instructor who knows how to teach good driving skills and technique is worth the hassle and cash. yes it is a bit of a rip-off but how much does bad driving cost you?

There are far too many bad instructors and examiners passing too many bad drivers in this country so take your lessons and focus.
I had 16 hours with driving instructor and probably about 40hrs with parents. It took me half a year to pass, so I had a driving lesson roughly once every 2 weeks. But the main practise for me came in between the lessons with my parents. I drove to school which only took 5mins but doing it every day made me confident.

Also the more you drive the less you need to think about gears, steering etc. It will become more natural until you can put all your focus on whats around you etc, rather than controlling the car.
Original post by Wooah

Different people need different amounts of lessons before they pass. Some people learn quickly, others take longer to learn. Some people also learn outside of lessons (in their car or their parents car) so pass quicker. Those who say they have had 7 lessons are lying.
I think 40 lessons is about the national average anyway. I had at least 40 lessons before i passed.
I had about 70 hours I think. I did it all in double lessons, and had at least four hours per week so did it quickly but it was very expensive! I know people who had more than me (I was so so so unconfident which is why I didn't do it before lol) but then I know someone who passed first time after only four instructor-lessons and just private practice. The lowest other than that was about 12 or 14? But still, 40 is very normal! Someone above quoted the Direct Gov thing which proves that, haha.
i passed first time and i had 12 hours of lessons
Some people take a bit longer to pick it up, thats all.
Reply 15
Original post by Abed1993
Nope! Who ever said they had 7 lessons is completely lying! Unless they knew how to drive before ..

I had 6 hours of lessons, it happens. I learnt to drive with my parents, who just let me drive everywhere any time we needed to make a car journey, and then had the lessons to make sure I didn't have any nasty little habits and that I could do the maneouvres. I have friends who had about 70 hours of lessons (although I know at least one of them was being taken for a ride by their instructor, who was absolutely useless).

Everyone really does learn at different paces - for some, driving does come very naturally, for others, it doesn't. It's like everything else in life, really.
Reply 16
People who passed in 7 lessons or something stupid like that either: drove with parents or friends for more experience or pick up real quick.

You always see it in life, some people take to stuff easily as if it's second nature, whilst the majority do not.

Do not base your lessons and driving experience trying to do it as fast as possible, I did that and caused my confidence to really drop heavily.

Take however many you want, and listen to what your INSTRUCTOR says, not what your friends or family say.

I had around 60 hours, and drive fine and confidently. Had loads of people tell me I should have passed a lot sooner. I had no driving experience with friends or family either.

Would you rather have a few lessons, take your test, maybe pass by some miracle or most likely fail and have it dent your driving confidence forever? No brainer really.
Reply 17
You think that's bad?

My sister has spent over a thousand pounds on lessons and her instructor still thinks she's way off until she's ready for the exam :facepalm:
Reply 18
Everyone each to their own,

Some learn quick and some don't....it doesn't matter how many you have :smile:
Reply 19
Its unlikely people who had '7 lessons' didn't have practise with their parents etc. - I had more than 7 lessons between booking my driving test and actually taking it.

You can't have TOO MANY lessons - unless you are ready to pass your test and your instructor is insisting not. Learning to drive is expensive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending