The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Ancaster Hall

I just got allocated Ancaster Hall and I have literally NEVER heard of it and my friends already at Nottingham haven't been overly positive. What's it like? ANY input will be much appreciated, as at the moment I am so worried

Scroll to see replies

I stayed there when I went to medlink and it was lovely! The rooms were huge with nice big en suites, but the food was a bit dodgy... was talking to someone who spent first year there the other day too and he said he loved it!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by SiaSiaSia
ANY input will be much appreciated

It was originally a women's hall, but it became one of the University's two first mixed halls along with Rutland Hall in 1970.

Halls are halls, there's nothing that makes one worthy of worrying about living there more than others. Ancaster has lots of ensuites, so its not surprising that if you put that option you were placed there.

Apart from hall size, the biggest factor that makes halls different to each other is just location.
Reply 3
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
Halls are halls, there's nothing that makes one worthy of worrying about living there more than others. Ancaster has lots of ensuites, so its not surprising that if you put that option you were placed there.

I didn't, they changed the process this year that you couldn't choose specific halls, just choose preferences in terms of bathrooms etc.
Original post by COSMICDOLPHIN
lots of ensuites, so its not surprising that if you put that option

:smile:
Reply 5
It's quite nice, I guess, though because of the colour of the room when I saw it like 2 years ago, I didn't apply because I hate yellow and everything just had every old feels to it (furnitures I meant).
The room itself was quite spacious but it was just wasn't my cup of tea.
Though I can see how you could easily make it more "you".

Their bar was pretty nice.
Reply 6
Original post by SiaSiaSia
I just got allocated Ancaster Hall and I have literally NEVER heard of it and my friends already at Nottingham haven't been overly positive. What's it like? ANY input will be much appreciated, as at the moment I am so worried

I'm in the same position as you! Apparently the best thing to do is to accept and then ask to change if necessary. I am unsure as whether to go to Ancaster and accept it as fate or maybe try and change it. Tbh I doubt there will be much details between all the halls.
Reply 7
I got allocated Ancaster too. Wasn't my top choice, but I'm not exactly disappointed.

Just gotta roll with the punches and go with it. Halls is Halls.
Reply 8
I got allocated to Ancaster too, dont know whether I'm happy about it! I've read that other halls are better so I rang up to ask if I could change but they told me I have to accept ancaster and see if they can move me after that :smile:
Reply 9
The only reason I'm almost not happy is with people saying they didn't like it. I doubt I'll be fussed but will see once I've accepted it!
Reply 10
I've also been allocated Ancaster, but I guess as long as everyone there is ready to have a good time it will be fine!! :smile:
Reply 11
I've been offered an ensuite room in Ancaster too :smile:
Reply 12
I've been offered Private Shared Bathrom accomodation at Ancaster Hall and I'm pleased :smile: I got the first choice of bedroom that I applied for and the accomodation is quite near West Entrance and reasonably close to the English department. I've read a couple of reviews and people seem to love it there!

Also, I always try to remember when reading bad reviews that people are always more likely to complain on the internet than write good reviews, so for every unhappy person there's probably a couple of hundred happy people :smile:
The only gripe I have (so far :tongue:) about this hall is that it is located near the West entrance when most of my lectures will probably be near the East entrance. Not that I mind walking or anything..........:colondollar:

I'm thinking of arranging a visit to this hall to see for myself what it looks like and to get a general feel for it. Anyone else think this is a good idea? :redface:
Reply 14
If anyone hasn't already had a look at this there's a bit of information from the SU on Ancaster and a review from a student at the bottom http://www.su.nottingham.ac.uk/weekone/halls/ancaster/

x
Original post by Introverted moron
The only gripe I have (so far :tongue:) about this hall is that it is located near the West entrance when most of my lectures will probably be near the East entrance. Not that I mind walking or anything..........:colondollar:

I'm thinking of arranging a visit to this hall to see for myself what it looks like and to get a general feel for it. Anyone else think this is a good idea? :redface:

Depends what you'd do with info. Seems a bit pointless unless you're going to request a hall change.
Original post by alexs2602
Depends what you'd do with info. Seems a bit pointless unless you're going to request a hall change.

I might........

I know I said I didn't mind walking, but seeing the campus map and how far away it is (and yes, I know, Broadgate Park is even further out)...........:colondollar:

Or maybe I should just stop being such a lazy bugger and stick with it. :tongue:

Still, it'd be nice to visit and have a mini break away from revision, call it a day trip, if you will........:cool:
Reply 17

Trust me, in the grand scheme of things the walk from near the West Entrance side of campus to the East isn't that bad. 5-10mins absolute max. It's when you live out in Lenton or Beeston (but Beeston is boring...) in 2nd/3rd year then a 20-30min walk is a lot more to moan about.

I've got friends who were at Ancaster (nicknamed Ancy) and they all loved it. It's practically next door to Cavendish and Willoughby, good bar, on the doorstep of History and the new Arts centre being built at the moment where a lot of lectures and teaching will take place, close to Hallward library and Trent building. Lots of hall spirit, as there is anywhere, and everything you could ask for really.

So be happy you're all at Ancy :smile:

EDIT: Seriously, what is there to neg here? Pointless.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kates:)
Trust me, in the grand scheme of things the walk from near the West Entrance side of campus to the East isn't that bad. 5-10mins absolute max. It's when you live out in Lenton or Beeston (but Beeston is boring...) in 2nd/3rd year then a 20-30min walk is a lot more to moan about.

I've got friends who were at Ancaster (nicknamed Ancy) and they all loved it. It's practically next door to Cavendish and Willoughby, good bar, on the doorstep of History and the new Arts centre being built at the moment where a lot of lectures and teaching will take place, close to Hallward library and Trent building. Lots of hall spirit, as there is anywhere, and everything you could ask for really.

So be happy you're all at Ancy :smile:

Thanks for your post.

I'll take that into consideration. 5-10 mins max - really? The map makes it look like it'd take much longer. :s-smilie:

You're right though. It takes me 20 minutes to walk from my house to college every day, so this shouldn't be that different. I think I just like the idea of falling into my lectures at 9. :biggrin: :redface:
I might........

I know I said I didn't mind walking, but seeing the campus map and how far away it is (and yes, I know, Broadgate Park is even further out)...........:colondollar:

Or maybe I should just stop being such a lazy bugger and stick with it. :tongue:

Still, it'd be nice to visit and have a mini break away from revision, call it a day trip, if you will........:cool:

I had a word with my ex and she reckons that Ancaster is just as far as Rutland and Sherwood but I still decided to request a hall change because I found the hall unappealing/ugly(not that i mentioned that). I'm hoping for Lincoln.

Guess it depends the real reason you want to switch. You'll probably get used to a few more mins walking if you have to but if you don't like the hall itself you have to put up with it for a whole year so your choice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending