The Student Room Group

Is Hong Kong/Shanghai similar to Tokyo?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hunagdi
Being a Cantonese speaker I am more bias towards Hong Kong as a travel destination and I found your assessment fair, however, Hong Kong does have a minimum wage now but it's just £2.50 or something.

Cool, I didn't know that. A few years ago my aunt told me there was no min wage! But £2.50?? :frown:
Reply 21
Original post by No Future
Cool, I didn't know that. A few years ago my aunt told me there was no min wage! But £2.50?? :frown:

Yeah, they just passed the law recently. After looking it up some more the minimum wage is actually around £2.20. It's not that bad considering the fact you can buy a very good meal in HK for around £3 that would normally cost £8 in the UK. Are you Chinese or even BBC like me? You seem to have a pretty good understanding of HK.
Reply 22
Original post by TexasHold'emMan
I'm pretty sure after the earth quake tokyo is not that clean anymore. Sorry for the tragic death of those innocent people by the way.

Have you ever actually lived in all those cities for a while? Where are you from? Are those just your very subjective guess or what?? Have you been to most parts of mainland china or what? Where did you get the idea that shanghai is nowhere near hk (High GDP per capita does not mean anything: the US is arguably the richest and most powerful country in the world but that does not necessarily mean they have the highest gdp per capita.Understand?)? Do you even know a vast amount of those big merchants of hongkong and even those hongkong celebrities have come to shanghai but rarely the other way around? But you are not totally wrong, hongkong is the best of the three as a global financial centre and tokyo is the most expensive.

There is a big difference among the people, I would say the most polite people are from tokyo, and the most impolite ones are from shanghai!!

Tokyo's actually nearly returned to normal, they were working on repairing the faces of buildings and stuff within a week. There are still a few roadworks/building sites but other than that it's as clean as ever.
Original post by DominF
Tokyo's actually nearly returned to normal, they were working on repairing the faces of buildings and stuff within a week. There are still a few roadworks/building sites but other than that it's as clean as ever.

Oh, that's not bad to hear that! Good for them! But the global environment has already been contaminated

Quick Reply

Latest