The Student Room Group

People who never do the fun things you can only do while young?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Michael Locke
Who's to say what's fun and what isn't? If you don't want to do those things, then don't do them. I don't see why people can't do these things when they're older if they're so inclined.

Have you ever seen a 55 year old man in a bar sitting by his own? Have you ever seen 40 year old women now with faded looks trying to relive their youthfull years when they were too shy to try clubbing? I have and its not pretty
Original post by Anonymous
Have you ever seen a 55 year old man in a bar sitting by his own? Have you ever seen 40 year old women now with faded looks trying to relive their youthfull years when they were too shy to try clubbing? I have and its not pretty

You know what? They can do what they like.
OK Im all for people living their lives but how would someone feel by the time their say 25-30 when in their late teens to early twenties in university was shy, never had a girlfriend, was a virgin, never went clubbing, didnt drink excessively or did any such fun things. but just studied and studied. Would he deeply regret the time he had that he would never get back when he graduated or is it wrong to assume this?

Fun is subjective.

Drinking excessively being fun is certainly subjective. Excuse me for being old school.

And since when can you not have a girlfriend/drink excessively/have sex when you're 25+ anyway?
Reply 63
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
What the hell can you do when you're in your teens that you can't do when you're in your late 20's ? :s-smilie:

Buy alcohol illegally. How exciting!
Reply 64
Yay for stereotyping and peer pressure. Why should everybody fit into the same social paradigm? The beauty of life is that there are different routes to go through, different experiences to be had, different things to do... but just remember one thing: one day, we will all die. Don't be sanctimonious about the way you live your life, or look down on others, because you never know how things will turn out in the future but death and taxes are a certainty.

The OP sounds like one of those idiots who religiously follows points 4, 6, 9 and 10 in my sig spoiler. Why do you have to do such "fun" things at a certain age, exactly?
(edited 12 years ago)
My main concern is really because I am having such fun and don't want him to miss out. You must ask yourself you study and study to what end? to get a good job which will pay well then what? You get lots of money for what? to just but a house with and sit and rot in there till your dead?

But just because you study hard it doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself as well?!
I have a friend who exactly fits that description. I think he will regret in later years....

I feel sorry for you because you seem to be fixed on this radical notion that fun people will have a collection of STD's or liver problems. Outgoing students don't just go out to get drunk or have sex and if they did most people believe it or not take care of themselves and will wear protection. So what next because someone goes out to dance at a club your going to look down upon them because they might get a sprained ankle and pull their calf muscles?

Great that theres people who are out there to study, but even they will let off steam once and a while, I have been around Oxford students and they were more of party animals then me. Most of the men who really have changed society have been exceptional minds who are not great in number. Just because someone 'loves' to study doesn't mean they are pioneers of society, I've known people of pretty average intelligence who just loved to study but their not going to contribute life changing innovations to the world.

'So some people would rather read, meet friends, learn, get good jobs, enjoy life comfortably and have hobbies rather than get wasted all the time.' Thank you for enlightening me that people who get wasted all the time become void at having hobbies, reading, making good friends (!?!?!??!).

Errr no I didn't mean everyone will get STD's and liver problems, its called being hyperbolic for effect of point. Honestly, read more and drink less lol. I'm quite aware of how protection and drinking works. And no, that last point was just stupid - injured leg? Who the **** said anything about that? Honestly, try harder little boy.

I never said intelligent people can't party lol all I said is that a lot of comments including yours tried to make it seem like studying meant you can't have fun or being smart simply meant studying all the time. I didn't say everyone needs to be a genius or needs to contribute to the world - I was simply making the point that some people actually completely love to study much more so than partying. It seems reading isn't your strong point.

Oh dear :facepalm2: All I said is that people who don't go out partying all the time will have these other things which they are very contented with and will be "living their life to the full". Alcohol + parties =/= full youth. Neither am I saying you shouldn't do it but as I said earlier your trying to force a ridiculous idea of what being young is. So you pretty much misunderstood everything I said.

Don't even know why you're anonymous, surely if your happy and think your living life fully blah blah then why are you anonymous? Hiding something? Whatever I think some people just like to think people who study and get good grades must be boring as opposed to themselves.
Reply 68
I'm 31 and the best time of my life was in my late twenties onwards, I became more confident in my own skin and all my friends had more money to go out and have 'fun'. I wouldn't be too quick to judge as he may have social anxiety issues or just be plain happy. He could even break out of his shell later like I did :-)
Reply 69
OK Im all for people living their lives but how would someone feel by the time their say 25-30 when in their late teens to early twenties in university was shy, never had a girlfriend, was a virgin, never went clubbing, didnt drink excessively or did any such fun things. but just studied and studied. Would he deeply regret the time he had that he would never get back when he graduated or is it wrong to assume this?

So if I wanted to stay in and play on my Xbox instead of going out, getting plastered and getting alcohol poisoning, I'm going to regret it?

What?
Reply 70
It's his life. Let him be.
Reply 71
Yeah, happiness is a #1 priority, for sure. And the biggest thing that makes me and others happy is studying, to learn everything about the subject(s) we enjoy, and to spend time with other people who enjoy learning about the world around us as well.

Sure it's hard work, and it isn't always fun and games; but you're enriching your life and expanding your mind by doing something other than getting smashed, taking drugs and worrying if that person you jumped into bed with that one time had herpes and/or got you preggerz. What a pointless existence. Not that I mind doing some of those things occasionally, but you need to have something else that drives you in life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
What the hell can you do when you're in your teens that you can't do when you're in your late 20's ? :s-smilie:

Nothing, but it's not as fun because you know more now. Also, you get away with more, but when you reach adulthood, money's the only thing stopping people going legal.
Reply 73
OP doesn't seem to understand that everyone has different conceptions of fun.

For you, OP, going out and partying and drinking excessively and doing whatever else is fun. And that's fine. It's great, you're doing what you enjoy and it makes you happy. But the mistake you're making is that you assume the things you enjoy are the things everyone else enjoys or should enjoy. You think he's missing out or making a mistake because he's not doing the same things as you, but maybe he doesn't want to.

I'm nearly 24 and I have no regrets. Clubbing and drinking are actually the opposite of fun for me. I've been clubbing a handful of times and I can comfortably tell you they were the most boring, tiresome and downright depressing nights of my life. When I'm in a club it feels like time is passing at 1/100th the speed it normally does. So I made a decision many years ago to never bother going into a club again, and I can confidently confirm I do not regret that decision. In fact, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Light.
Uni time comes and goes.. but you can only study once.. :biggrin:

umm sorry, but im not sure with this one lol
Reply 75
Original post by mermania
OP doesn't seem to understand that everyone has different conceptions of fun.

For you, OP, going out and partying and drinking excessively and doing whatever else is fun. And that's fine. It's great, you're doing what you enjoy and it makes you happy. But the mistake you're making is that you assume the things you enjoy are the things everyone else enjoys or should enjoy. You think he's missing out or making a mistake because he's not doing the same things as you, but maybe he doesn't want to.

I'm nearly 24 and I have no regrets. Clubbing and drinking are actually the opposite of fun for me. I've been clubbing a handful of times and I can comfortably tell you they were the most boring, tiresome and downright depressing nights of my life. When I'm in a club it feels like time is passing at 1/100th the speed it normally does. So I made a decision many years ago to never bother going into a club again, and I can confidently confirm I do not regret that decision. In fact, it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Hope this helps.

Im not just referring to clubbing though. I mean socializing in general at a bar, pub or your room! I one sticks to the books all the time and doesn't work on their skills at interacting with other people then how will they be in the workplace when they graduate?
Study study study is not for me. I'm the sort of person who lives in the present, and if I'm bored I'll do something about it - it's not always a good decision but I can't help myself. I'm 16, I still have a lot to live for, and I know that if I don't go out and have fun I will regret it when I'm older, I already regret not doing certain things when I had the opportunity, nothing massive, just the odd thing. I can really knuckle down and get something done when I need to, but I think some people definitely study more than they need to, I can't say I've ever really failed anything and I study far less than some people. My education is important to me, but I've always had the view that a good social life is just as important in order to maintain happiness.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 77
Im not just referring to clubbing though. I mean socializing in general at a bar, pub or your room! I one sticks to the books all the time and doesn't work on their skills at interacting with other people then how will they be in the workplace when they graduate?

Bar, pub, club, whatever, they're all pretty awful places if you're not into that sort of thing. The fact you are his friend suggests he does interact with people so I'm sure he'll be fine. I've worked in places where people basically never speak to each other anyway tbh.
Reply 78
See the fact of the matter is that drinking is for hyppocrites and parasites as well as clubbing. I mean clubbing is for deperate men looking to whore on even more deperate women dressed in bra an panties, it really is desperate stuff. Oh, and don't get me started on alcohol; the root of all evil. I'd take algebraic equations any day over partying and drinking. :sogood:
Reply 79
Well I'd much rather study and get those things over with while I'm young. To start later when everybody else is done or to feel that you've been slacking off and need to catch up with everybody, will be very heavy. I don't believe you'll have as much fun either when you're "always having fun".

Most people see the best solution as studying during the weekdays and party in the weekend/holidays. I admit I don't go out too much. There are several reasons for this; I am quite picky with places to go out, there are few friends I like to go out with (and can afford to go to upscale places), and when I do go out I like to dress up and be in a good mood (not go if I have been busy and am feeling tired). I have had guys ask me why I'm not at the student parties (they are a bit like "oh, so you're too mature for it?"), but honestly I am not to keen on foam parties or dressing up in silly (or for girls: slutty) costumes now that I am 21 (at 15, maybe).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending