The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Insanity514
Could someone explain to me how to work out the serial dilutions question from the Jan 11 paper?

The student made up all the sodium chloride solutions using a 1.0 mol dm-3 sodium
chloride solution and distilled water.
Complete the table to show how he made 20 cm3 of a 0.2 mol dm-3 sodium chloride
solution.

Volume of 1.0 moldm-3 sodium chloride solution:
Volume of distilled water:

I don't know how to do it???

20cm = 1 mol so:
4cm = 0.2 mol

So 4cm Nacl and to make that up to 20 cm, water is 16cm.
Reply 101
Original post by eliteDNA
someone ask another question?

Discuss the ethical issues with the use of vaccinations. (Straight off the spec.)
Reply 102
Gonna have to guess at this one, dont have a clue:

Some may argue that when a ahigh enough proportion of the population is immune from vaccines, herd immunity means the rest do not need vaccines.
Animal testing is required to make the sure the vaccine is safe, and animals are sometimes required to produce vaccines.
Some parts of the world do not have access to vaccines, and drugs companies only produce the vaccines for wealthiy countires.

Please provide the proper answer...

What happens during the primary response? and then during secorndary response to foreign pathogen?
Reply 103
Okay.
The basic points you need to know:

1)Sodium ions are actively transported out of the epithelial cells into the blood.
2) This creates a higher concentration of sodium ions in the lumen of the intestine than the epithelial cells
3) Sodium ions move into the epithelial cells, but when it does, glucose is carried with it, so a carrier protein is also used
4) Glucose is transported to the blood via facilitated diffusion.

:smile:
Reply 104
Original post by liviaaa
Discuss the ethical issues with the use of vaccinations. (Straight off the spec.)

Use of animals? Ethically acceptable?
Side effects?
Health risks - are the public going to take a risk in trying out a new vaccine
Religious opt outs?!?

:|
Reply 105
Original post by eliteDNA
Gonna have to guess at this one, dont have a clue:

Some may argue that when a ahigh enough proportion of the population is immune from vaccines, herd immunity means the rest do not need vaccines.
Animal testing is required to make the sure the vaccine is safe, and animals are sometimes required to produce vaccines.
Some parts of the world do not have access to vaccines, and drugs companies only produce the vaccines for wealthiy countires.

Please provide the proper answer...

What happens during the primary response? and then during secorndary response to foreign pathogen?

Original post by EffKayy
Use of animals? Ethically acceptable?
Side effects?
Health risks - are the public going to take a risk in trying out a new vaccine
Religious opt outs?!?

:|

Not 100% sure either.. but you 2 have some good ideas. :smile:

Maybe also side effects? The vaccine may develop into the disease?
Describe how the immune system responds when a pathogen invades a body cell.

and

Describe the what happens during the Humoural immune response.
Reply 107
Original post by Insanity514
Describe how the immune system responds when a pathogen invades a body cell.

When it first enters the body a non-specific response will occur. This includes inflammation, so the capilaries become more permeable and more white blood cells can escape. A fever will also occus, raising the body temperature which causes damage to the pathogens. Phagocytosis will also occur - chemicals called medicators are released which attract phagocycotic cells, they engulf bacteria closing them in phagosomes. Lysosomes then migrate towards it and secrete hydrolytic enzymes and digest the microorganism.

If not destroyed then the specficic response..
Reply 108
Hey everyone, can anyone help me with this question, don't need to know the answer, just how to work it out. Conversion into micrometres is the troubling bit:

This diagram shows the cell magnified 1000 times. Calculate the actual length of the
cell between points P and Q. Give your answer in micrometres. Show your working.

Observed size is 89mm

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 109
Original post by liviaaa
When it first enters the body a non-specific response will occur. This includes inflammation, so the capilaries become more permeable and more white blood cells can escape. A fever will also occus, raising the body temperature which causes damage to the pathogens. Phagocytosis will also occur - chemicals called medicators are released which attract phagocycotic cells, they engulf bacteria closing them in phagosomes. Lysosomes then migrate towards it and secrete hydrolytic enzymes and digest the microorganism.

If not destroyed then the specficic response..

This is far too deep and will be a waste of your time in the exam, all thats required is:

Cellular Response
1. Phagocytosis (explanation, engulfment, digestion)
2. T Cells (binding to antigens, killing pathogen/releasing substances to activate B cells).

Humoral Response

3. B Cells (secrete antibodies, complementary antibody forms antigen-antibody complex, antibodies can coat to prevent entering host cell, coat to make phagocyotsis easier and can bind to and neutrailse toxins produced by pathogen. Once complemtary antibody found, B-cell divides into plasma cells which are identical clones.
Original post by Tericon
Hey everyone, can anyone help me with this question, don't need to know the answer, just how to work it out. Conversion into micrometres is the troubling bit:

This diagram shows the cell magnified 1000 times. Calculate the actual length of the
cell between points P and Q. Give your answer in micrometres. Show your working.

Observed size is 89mm

i hate those questions!! :/ xxx
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tericon

Observed size is 89mm

Which paper is this? :smile:

We know that the equation for magnification is as follows:

Magnification = size of image / size of object

We need to find the actual length of P and Q. The actual length is represented by the object. So re - arranging the equation you get:

Size of object = size of image / magnification

Always remember that the image and the object should be in the same units, in this case, micrometres.

So size of object = 89 000 um / 1000 = 89 um
Original post by clevercloggss
i hate those questions!! :/ xxx

I have tried to explain this question on the comment above, have a look. :smile:
Reply 113
Original post by Sparkly-Star
Which paper is this? :smile:

We know that the equation for magnification is as follows:

Magnification = size of image / size of object

We need to find the actual length of P and Q. The actual length is represented by the object. So re - arranging the equation you get:

Size of object = size of image / magnification

Always remember that the image and the object should be in the same units, in this case, micrometres.

So size of object = 89 000 um / 1000 = 89 um

Jan 2010 :smile: Thanks :smile:
Hi all,

I just want to ask. I have been doing some of the old 'legacy' spec past papers and I am unsure about how much we should know about digestion. DO we need to know about endo/exo peptidases? Is it only Starch digestions that we need to know for the new spec?
Because I am not 100% sure
As everyone seems to agree on the fact that immunity will come up, would anyone care to summarise the topic. General or great detail, up to you but I think it will be good revision and it would help me a lot as its my weakest topic. Topic 1,2 and 3 are really easy. 4 and 5 average. 6 is the hardest in my opinion and am really worried after reading this thread :frown:

This is what I know so far (not much I know):

physical barriers: skin is very thick.
Chemical barriers: oils on skin, hydrochloric acid in stomach, tears, urine, mucus in lungs.

2nd line of defence is called the inflammatory response. It is controlled by white blood cells called phagocytes. It is non specific. The process is called phagocytosis. These are the steps of phagocytosis:

1) phagocyte engulfs the pathogen
2) pathogen is enclosed into a vesicle/phagosome
3) Lysosomes in the phagocyte contain digestive enzymes which hydrolize the pathogen

If the inflammatory response does not kill the pathogen, then it is left to the specific immune response called humoral and cellular

The cellular is to do with T cells and the humoral response is to do with B cells. B cells secrete antibodies whereas T cells do not.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by nasira372
As everyone seems to agree on the fact that immunity will come up, would anyone care to summarise the topic. General or great detail, up to you but I think it will be good revision and it would help me a lot as its my weakest topic. Topic 1,2 and 3 are really easy. 4 and 5 average. 6 is the hardest in my opinion and am really worried after reading this thread :frown:

Chemical barriers: oils on skin, hydrochloric acid in stomach, tears, urine, mucus in lungs.

2nd line of defence is called the inflammatory response. It is controlled by white blood cells called phagocytes. It is non specific. The process is called phagocytosis. These are the steps of phagocytosis:

3) Lysosomes in the phagocyte contain digestive enzymes which hydrolize the pathogen

If the inflammatory response does not kill the pathogen, then it is left to the specific immune response called humoral and cellular

The cellular is to do with T cells and the humoral response is to do with B cells. B cells secrete antibodies whereas T cells do not.

Sounds about right, i don't think you have much to worry about. Not heard of 'inflammatory response', i don't think its on the spec, phagocytes come under cellular response as far as I was aware.

Antibody functions:

1. Coat pathogen so easier for phagocyte to engulf
2. Coat pathogen to prevent it from entering host cells
3. Binding to and neutralising toxins produced by pathogen.

Also remember antibodies are proteins, with variable regions, much like enzyme acive site.

T cells help activate B-cells and also some attach to antigens on pathogen and kill it.

B cells are activated when antibody on surfacer meets complementary antigen and when t cells release substance.

Activated b cell (with correct complementary antibody to antigen) divides into plasma cells (clones)
Reply 117
Original post by reaperguy
Hi all,

I just want to ask. I have been doing some of the old 'legacy' spec past papers and I am unsure about how much we should know about digestion. DO we need to know about endo/exo peptidases? Is it only Starch digestions that we need to know for the new spec?
Because I am not 100% sure

General digestive system: stomach, intestine etc, glands.
proteins: structure, function, test
carbohydrates: structure function, test. Basic starch structure and iodine test.
Lipids: triglycerides and phospholipids, structure, function, test
Digestion of glucose (diffusion first, then cotransport followed by facilitated diffusion).

The spec is on the AQA website here: http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2410-W-SP.PDF
Reply 118
Original post by nasira372

Ive revised solely from the CGP along with Markscheme revision. Do you think this will be enough in order to get an A. I pretty much understand everything in a simplistic manner but I'm not sure if the CGP lacks vital pieces of information having read some over complicated answers in this thread??
p.s everything answer in the markscheme for the previous 4 papers on AQA website is in the CGP!
Reply 119
Original post by A_clizzy
Ive revised solely from the CGP along with Markscheme revision. Do you think this will be enough in order to get an A. I pretty much understand everything in a simplistic manner but I'm not sure if the CGP lacks vital pieces of information having read some over complicated answers in this thread??
p.s everything answer in the markscheme for the previous 4 papers on AQA website is in the CGP!

The CGP is all I use to revise, and if it wasn't for my failure with maths and HSW, It would be getting me As.

Please ignore some of the answers, inflammatory response is NOT on the AQA spec and writing a university level essay on a principle of biology will get you nowhere in the exam. Been there done that, AQA like sharp succint points for marks, not a long winded essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending