The Student Room Group

AQA BIOL1 Biology Unit 1 Exam - 16th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EffKayy
I didnt mention Sodium-potassium transport or carrier proteins! :frown:

To your other question yeah the principle gets you a mark as it said show working.

I think the points on the epithelial cell must be that it is one cell thick therefore short diffusion pathway so diffusion is quicker, it has a lot of mitochondria to create ATP and release energy for active transport. And the microvilli and villi increase the surface area.

People are talking about blood but that will probably be wrong as it was just asking how the epithelial cell is adapted. You probably get one mark for stating the adaption and another on how it increases rate of diffusion.
Original post by EffKayy

Original post by EffKayy
Please can someone agree with the fact that the 6marker was not very specific; the others have been very specific and this wasn't! :frown:

It was so vague. As soon as I came out, everyone was like :shock: SO VAGUE!
Original post by Limitless
To your other question yeah the principle gets you a mark as it said show working.

I think the points on the epithelial cell must be that it is one cell thick therefore short diffusion pathway so diffusion is quicker, it has a lot of mitochondria to create ATP and release energy for active transport. And the microvilli and villi increase the surface area.

People are talking about blood but that will probably be wrong as it was just asking how the epithelial cell is adapted. You probably get one mark for stating the adaption and another on how it increases rate of diffusion.

I wrote maltase enzyme is present in the brush borders, which converts maltose to glucose, will that get me a mark?
Original post by i3kel
we're calculations 1 or 2 marks?

The question about 0-3 seconds and expelling air was two marks. One for working and one for answer I think.

The beats per minute was one mark, just for the answer.
Reply 1204
Original post by oHellno

was not vague at all... how are epithelial cells adapted for absorption of glucose? I dont get the vagueness..
Reply 1205
Original post by Haz2coolz
i wrote some stuff about the founder effect, but wasn't too sure if it was right or not...not even sure if it's relevant to genetic engineering

Founder effect?? i didnt even think of that!!! this is making me feel horrible. I was talking so much about Genetic Bottlenecks. Well that probably means im getting a U for this paper :frown: i hate my life right now
Original post by Smoopyj
umm sorry, but i think u did miss it. not trying to make u feel bad or anything. r u saying i was imagining the question? lol

Lol no, maybe you're paper was different. The last question for my paper was a 4marker on pagocytosis and 6 marker on the epithelial cells. And I know that was the last question because it said END and I was having to write around it.
You had genetic engineering? Not sure if serious... You guys aren't wrong paper/pretending?
It said end of questions after the epithelial cells.
Is it just me who is feeling slightly suicidal about this paper or..? :afraid:
at the start of this discussion i nicely thought i got 100 percent, but now i feel i might just about scrape an A, i am not happy !
The phagocytosis one i think i got full marks in, alas the same cannot be said of the 6marker.

That's definitely the hardest bio1 paper aqa have made so far.
Original post by DarkWave93
I wrote maltase enzyme is present in the brush borders, which converts maltose to glucose, will that get me a mark?

No because that is not speed up diffusion. I don't remember reading anything saying that there is maltase enzyme present on the brush boarder so I don't think.
Original post by Limitless

Wel i didnt talk about mitochondria as I totally forgot about it, or carrier proteins.
I just wrote about villi, large surface area = more diffusion/ more absorption. thin walls = quicker diff.??! Also the NT says it is well supplied with blood vessels so can carry away absorbed molecules, will i get atleast 3? \:
Reply 1213
Genetic engineering's not on the Unit 1 AQA Biology and Disease unit specification...
For the concentration of reducing sugar one I put something like water is incorporated into the sugars and so there since less water is present the concentration of reducing sugars increases as there is more reducing sugar present in a given volume of solvent.

marks?
Reply 1215
Original post by oHellno
Lol no, maybe you're paper was different. The last question for my paper was a 4marker on pagocytosis and 6 marker on the epithelial cells. And I know that was the last question because it said END and I was having to write around it.

that was the penultimate question on mine. Im pretty sure u just missed that question out. Y would AQA release two versions of a paper? Haz2coolz had the paper aswell
Original post by ??????????????????

Original post by ??????????????????
You had genetic engineering? Not sure if serious... You guys aren't wrong paper/pretending?
It said end of questions after the epithelial cells.

Lol, I don't think it would be possible for the majority of this people to miss out the same question. Plus, genetic engineering isn't in BIOL1 or 2.
Original post by SpecialApple
Is it just me who is feeling slightly suicidal about this paper or..? :afraid:

I'm actually really upset. LOL at my previous posts, i'm literally going mad. :frown:
Original post by oHellno

Being vague is a good thing it means there is a much more potential answers that can get you marks. :biggrin:
Original post by oHellno

Biology GCE unit 1, sat on the 16th May 2011, at 9:00am GMT...there was defo a question about genetic engineering on my paper :s it's kinda bugging me now, because no one knows the answer

Original post by Smoopyj
Founder effect?? i didnt even think of that!!! this is making me feel horrible. I was talking so much about Genetic Bottlenecks. Well that probably means im getting a U for this paper :frown: i hate my life right now

ahhhh damn!! yeah genetic bottlenecks might be right :s i didnt even think about that! you won't get a U, it was only 9 marks missed out dw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending