The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

how lenient are essex on grades?

hey, i got an offer of 240 ucas points for biomed 3 years including cc in bio & chem... but what if i got bbcd with the CD in biology and chemistry respectively? do you think they would still let me in?

thaaanks. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by timtea
hey, i got an offer of 240 ucas points for biomed 3 years including cc in bio & chem... but what if i got bbcd with the CD in biology and chemistry respectively? do you think they would still let me in?

thaaanks. :biggrin:

Maybe, they tend to be pretty lenient. Really though, excluding circumstances, you should be able to get a couple of Cs in what you want to study.

You should either:

A) Email them and ask.

B) Wait and see.
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Reply 2
Essex were lenient with me but I had extenuating circumstances which I explained to them before I applied. Is there any particular reason you think you may not reach a C in chemistry?
Fairly. My offer was BBC with a C in my main language. I got BCDD with a D in my main language, and still got a place :smile:
Though my course is undersubscibed, so this has pobably got something to do with it.
Reply 4
Yeah should be fine. :smile:
Reply 5
I've got a conditional offer from Essex for 300 points which must include BB at A2. Unlike most, I'm doing 2 x AS's and 2 x A2's, so in order to get 300 points, I absolutely need B's in my A2's (which I'm fairly confident I'll achieve) and a grade A in my second AS, having got a 'C' in the other one :frown: to make the other 100 points. My worry is, that having taken the exams now, I'm not sure I've managed an A in my AS subject, so this would mean I'd be 10 points short of 300 overall. I'm wondering whether Essex might still have me? I mean, a miracle might have happened and I could have managed an 'A' in one of my A2's, which would make it all fine, but there again....

The course is Sociology of Language. I know no-one can really answer this, but if there are current students who scraped in...I'd love to hear about it, just to give myself some hope. Thanks.
Original post by Winterbells
I've got a conditional offer from Essex for 300 points which must include BB at A2. Unlike most, I'm doing 2 x AS's and 2 x A2's, so in order to get 300 points, I absolutely need B's in my A2's (which I'm fairly confident I'll achieve) and a grade A in my second AS, having got a 'C' in the other one :frown: to make the other 100 points. My worry is, that having taken the exams now, I'm not sure I've managed an A in my AS subject, so this would mean I'd be 10 points short of 300 overall. I'm wondering whether Essex might still have me? I mean, a miracle might have happened and I could have managed an 'A' in one of my A2's, which would make it all fine, but there again....

The course is Sociology of Language. I know no-one can really answer this, but if there are current students who scraped in...I'd love to hear about it, just to give myself some hope. Thanks.

Seems really specific for an undergraduate degree.

If you do well in relevant subjects (if doing any) then there is a good chance they will take you, yes.

Even if not you have a chance.
Reply 7
Original post by paddy__power
Seems really specific for an undergraduate degree.

If you do well in relevant subjects (if doing any) then there is a good chance they will take you, yes.

Even if not you have a chance.

Thanks for your encouraging response. (I'm not sure what you're meaning by 'really specific' i.e. whether you mean the course title or the course requirements, but the latter is just the standard offer...) Anyway, I'll stop fretting about it for now and hopefully I've done well enough.

Cheers. :smile:
do universities know how much you miss a grade by?
Like if I was one point away from my C would they know and consider it, or would I have to tell them?
Original post by jendra9311
do universities know how much you miss a grade by?
Like if I was one point away from my C would they know and consider it, or would I have to tell them?

They wouldn't know to my knowledge, you would have to let them know.
the bio department in the past has been some what lenient, they have let in people with E's and D's, this one kid who got 3 D's is know studying medicine
it all depends on the number of people who have firmed essex, how many make their offer and how many don't
Reply 11
Original post by robinson999
the bio department in the past has been some what lenient, they have let in people with E's and D's, this one kid who got 3 D's is know studying medicine
it all depends on the number of people who have firmed essex, how many make their offer and how many don't

:O Medicine with 3D's?! wow... were's he studying it?
Original post by Boo!xx
:O Medicine with 3D's?! wow... were's he studying it?

QM, thats after doing a biomed degree at essex, unless its changes since I last looked QM don't care about your A-levels and that after a degree

a few other weak academical people got in last year while strong people on 1st missed out
Reply 13
Original post by robinson999
QM, thats after doing a biomed degree at essex, unless its changes since I last looked QM don't care about your A-levels and that after a degree

a few other weak academical people got in last year while strong people on 1st missed out

thanks, I'll keep that in mind if i decide to do post grad medicine :] What did he get in his degree?
Original post by Boo!xx
thanks, I'll keep that in mind if i decide to do post grad medicine :] What did he get in his degree?

like a 2.1 i dunno about the % marks
Reply 15
I hope they're lenient with me! Things didn't go too well with my one a level which makes me think that i'll miss my offer by one grade. Then again, I wouldn't get my hopes up as it is an English Lit. degree i've applied for and i'd imagine it'd be quite a popular subject :/ lol
Reply 16
the psychology department are quite strict. probably because it's so oversubscribed. I got a BC at a-level and they wouldnt let me in cos they wanted AB. they also wanted 320 points from 3 a levels and 1 as level or 2 a levels and 2 as levels not 3. it was really disappointing as i'd worked so hard and to be just rejected really did have a hit on me :frown:
Reply 17
i feel sorry for you, but still there is a big difference between AB and BC
Reply 18
Hey I have an offer of 300 points consisting of BB for Criminology. After taking my A2's I'm a little worried about wether I'll get the required grades. However I took 4 AS levels and then subsequently dropped one for A2.

If I were to get 300 points consisting of 3 C's at A2 and 1 C at AS (from the subject I dropped) would I still get in??

Worrying myself sick here :/
Original post by Loftus92
Hey I have an offer of 300 points consisting of BB for Criminology. After taking my A2's I'm a little worried about wether I'll get the required grades. However I took 4 AS levels and then subsequently dropped one for A2.

If I were to get 300 points consisting of 3 C's at A2 and 1 C at AS (from the subject I dropped) would I still get in??

Worrying myself sick here :/

Depends one what your offer says.

Email/call them and ask to be sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending