The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Is southampton good for gay or 'curious' people?

Well I'm not sure if I'm gay but i'm curious and willing to experiment and I'm just wondering is southampton uni good for this and is the town good also?
Reply 1
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2005/aug/10/students.news

This article gives the top 10, and Southampton isn't on there.

I'd go Brighton if I were you. :biggrin:

In all seriousness, I think most cities are "gay friendly" and just google Southampton as a town' and see what comes up, I'm already deleting my history, not that I'm a homophobe, but my brothers are ruthless when it comes to banter, they find my google searches and no doubt they will rip me.
(edited 12 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by SuperKurd
I'd go Brighton if I were you lol

:ditto:
Reply 3
Most people I've met at the uni seem too middle-class and normal to experiment sexually at all. There is one gay club called the Edge, and I've met a few homos in the alterna-crowd. At the Edge everyone has had sex with each other apparently, as it's the only gay venue.
Reply 4
Original post by lisalalisa92
It's not great...

I thoroughly recommend joining the LGB Soc. I've just completed my first year and i didn't join the society and it was my biggest regret .... i haven't been to The Edge yet, and have only met a handful of gay people on my course. When i go back in September I am PLUNGING myself into that socieity.

With my experiences, the comment, 'Most people I've met at the uni seem too middle-class and normal to experiment sexually at all', is WAY off the mark. There are plenty of gay/curious people in Southampton's straight clubs, you've just got to send off the right signals and get your gaydar in tune.

Im a highly active member in the LGB soc. Do I know you...? Haha.

I dont see whats bad about it. There are a couple of gay bars and the gay club (the edge) is very student friendly (rammed on wednesdays) and cheap (£1.50 doubles on wednesdays). I've spent many a drunken times there. So basically the gay group is small, but it is there, loud and it is definitely enjoyable. There's more to it than the LGB society also - I know (either just acquaintances or know them well) somewhere between 50-100 gay people, but that doesn't mean they all fancy taking part. Plenty get a boyfriend and then **** off, haha. Despite that, I have a core group of say...15-20 of us who I see all the time, some very close friends.

Ditto to your second paragraph.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending