The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jelly1000
You'll only be a maximum of 10 minutes walk from the main buildings though.

http://www.uea.ac.uk/ccp2/campusmap

this is the campus map & should hopefully help!

Original post by kpwxx
About 10-15 mins walk from centre of campus, it's like a 2 minute walk to get on to campus but you have to add on the walk to get down University Drive past the sportspark. The med building is a couple of minutes further only. The hospital (if you have to go there?! I know nursing do.) is about a further 10-15 minutes walk, or a short bike ride in total, also the nearest hospital heading bus stop is about 5 mins from the village I'd say?

I managed to make a 9am once having woken up at 8:50!

The rooms are kind of... average? The bed is a standard single and then there is a long (longer than the bed) desk and an equally sized bit of floor (wide enough to stand an airer in) then a little square of floor at the end next to the shower pod. You can fit a surprising amount of stuff in! Some rooms have an extra bit of space because the rooms a little longer, they have a little 'space' kind of table like at the end of the bed. I think there may be another slight variation if you're in a corner room, it's probably bigger because that's the case on campus.

xxx

Thank you both very much!

Ooo it's not to far then and it'll stop me being uber lazy!

I was worried I'd end up in a sardine can, I've seen pictures of some other unis accommodation and some of the rooms are tiny so I was a tad worried, it would not have been fun :tongue:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Reply 2401
Original post by *Funky-buddha*
Thank you both very much!

Ooo it's not to far then and it'll stop me being uber lazy!

I was worried I'd end up in a sardine can, I've seen pictures of some other unis accommodation and some of the rooms are tiny so I was a tad worried, it would not have been fun :tongue:

Btw, also here are some pics http://www.ueaaccommodation.com/media/images/gallery/village/village006.html

xxx
Okay, weird question, but can anyone tell me if you get a good signal with O2 on campus? My parents want me to get a contract, so it'd be nice to know in advance if O2 are still good in Norwich.
Reply 2403
Original post by ThePurpleRose
Okay, weird question, but can anyone tell me if you get a good signal with O2 on campus? My parents want me to get a contract, so it'd be nice to know in advance if O2 are still good in Norwich.

Just so you know, on their coverage map pretty much the whole of norwich is good indoor and out signal, and for internet the whole of campus is good indoors and out, but there are some 'good outdoors' spots in norwich, so something to think about for 2nd year housing. Not sure if you can avoid that with any networks though!

xxx
Original post by High As A Kite
woooo

They remembered us! haha

Original post by diamonddust
Yaay! I move in on the 25th. :biggrin:

Awww well if you need any help with moving in the day after I don't mind :tongue: I can't wait to move in now :biggrin: I was looking for a photo machine earlier to take out a mugshot for my passport, couldn't find one in ASDA so I ended up buying some kitchen utensils. Then an IKEA catalogue came through the door earlier so I was circling things whilst on the bus. The tourist next to me seemed very interested in it lol

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
nah iirc the village one is open from 6:30 to 11:30pm or something :dontknow: Definitely not 9-5 :nah:

Original post by kpwxx

There is a 24hr laundrette on campus, then others which are open something like 9-5 at the med centre (bit nearer to campus ensuite) and in the village. Though I visited the village one in the evening because I saw it with the door open, the lights on and the machines working, so I presume they sometimes leave it?
xxx

thank you!

Original post by kpwxx
I can kind of see why; my friend has an oven which you have to spark and I'm always completely bewildered trying to turn it on!

But I've always had gas hobs at home and just find they're so much better at cooking, plus when you turn them off they're off, rather than electric hobs which just turn in to hand/towel/pan burning devices (the pan is especially annoying since I'm so used to leaving the pan on the hob to cool down!). And often you just have that little light to go by!

I guess 18 years is enough to convince me I'm unlikely to get blown up!

xxx

We had one of those at our old place, scared the crap out of me because you had to kinda go in the oven to get to the back to spark it and then move back quickly or else you'd lose your hair lol I know what you mean about gas hobs because at least you know they're off for sure, I could never tell if the electrical hobs in the food tech room at school were off or not and then the crazy teacher would scream at you if they weren't. They looked off to me! :dontknow:
Original post by makingamemory
They remembered us! haha

Awww well if you need any help with moving in the day after I don't mind :tongue: I can't wait to move in now :biggrin: I was looking for a photo machine earlier to take out a mugshot for my passport, couldn't find one in ASDA so I ended up buying some kitchen utensils. Then an IKEA catalogue came through the door earlier so I was circling things whilst on the bus. The tourist next to me seemed very interested in it lol

thank you!

We had one of those at our old place, scared the crap out of me because you had to kinda go in the oven to get to the back to spark it and then move back quickly or else you'd lose your hair lol I know what you mean about gas hobs because at least you know they're off for sure, I could never tell if the electrical hobs in the food tech room at school were off or not and then the crazy teacher would scream at you if they weren't. They looked off to me! :dontknow:

thank you!

i remember in food tech on our very first lesson they asked us who was used to electric ovens/hobs and who was used to gas, and we were assigned to whichever we were used to using as the school had both. in the whole 5 years i was there, there was only ever 1 fire alarm and no-one in my classes ever had a problem with the gas hobs so i dont see why unis cant have them.

Original post by jelly1000
thank you!

i remember in food tech on our very first lesson they asked us who was used to electric ovens/hobs and who was used to gas, and we were assigned to whichever we were used to using as the school had both. in the whole 5 years i was there, there was only ever 1 fire alarm and no-one in my classes ever had a problem with the gas hobs so i dont see why unis cant have them.

Probably incase a very drunk student forgets to turn the gas off and kaboom! lol
Oh I wish I went to your school there was at least a monthly fire alarm due to food tech in our school. Especially when our year was in KS3, this idiot in our year nearly set the whole room on fire when making stir fry as he added soaking wet veg to a hot pan of oil :/ Luckily he was banned from taking GCSE food tech.
Original post by RatherSpiffing
Just got allocated a TWIN room in Norfolk Terrace. Anyone feeling my slightly disgruntled pain?

Original post by Bean93
Yeah i just got a twin room in Suffolk. Bit disappointed at first but hey at least its cheap.

If we do get moved do we still pay the price of a twin room or do we pay the price of the room we are moved to?

If you have been allocated a twin room it is always our first priority to try to find you a single room on campus. This is a process that we start almost immedietely after arrivals.

What will notmally happen is that some students who have been allocated rooms will not turn up and some will decide after a few weeks that University is not them and will leave to pursue other options.

We will then offer these rooms to students who are in shared twins. The price of the rooms will be whatever the price of the room normally is. If you want to keep your low shared twin rate you need to be living in shared twin!
Original post by UEAAccommodation
If you have been allocated a twin room it is always our first priority to try to find you a single room on campus. This is a process that we start almost immedietely after arrivals.

What will notmally happen is that some students who have been allocated rooms will not turn up and some will decide after a few weeks that University is not them and will leave to pursue other options.

We will then offer these rooms to students who are in shared twins. The price of the rooms will be whatever the price of the room normally is. If you want to keep your low shared twin rate you need to be living in shared twin!

Thanks for the information!
And you're probably the one to ask... am I allowed to bring a small toastie maker thing? I know it says no personal microwaves etc. but wondered if a grilled sandwich maker falls under that or not.
Original post by RatherSpiffing
Thanks for the information!
And you're probably the one to ask... am I allowed to bring a small toastie maker thing? I know it says no personal microwaves etc. but wondered if a grilled sandwich maker falls under that or not.

Sandwich maker or something like a George Foreman Grill is fine as long as you keep it in the kitchen. It's just big items like fridges, microwaves and mini ovens that we have a problem with.

On the terms and conditions of the contract that you sign (and should have already read if you have applied for a room - you tick a box to say you have!) there is a list of items that you can/can't bring.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got my first choice, UV Oak house, thanks :biggrin:

Move in on the 24th, can't wait!

Anyone know where I can find photos or more info about this particular house?
Just got an offer for a ensuite premium which was my second choice with standard ensuite as my first choice. Is there any way to swap to a standard ensuite room as I doubt the extra money is worth it.

Edit: Also, how fast is the internet connection in student accommodation?
Reply 2412
Original post by jakeruston
Just got my first choice, UV Oak house, thanks :biggrin:

Move in on the 24th, can't wait!

Anyone know where I can find photos or more info about this particular house?

Campus map shows which house in the village is which

http://www.uea.ac.uk/ccp2/campusmap

The rooms are all pretty similar in the village, pics are here

http://www.ueaaccommodation.com/medi...illage006.html

makingamemory

If you're still looking for passport pictures, it's usually massively cheaper to take one yourself with a camera then take it to a photo printing shop and print them off on their machine. It cost me like a pound for 8 rather than £4 for 4 in the stupid booths which make your hair look really greasy!

xxx
Original post by stroppyninja
Snap, I have a standard single in Norfolk Terrace and I'm doing med :O
I wonder if we'll be flatmates :P

Medicine ? Sweet as!

Yea could be mate, are you moving in on the 25th? :smile:
Original post by MarkyA
Snap! I've also got a place in Norfolk and doing Adult Nursing

Sick one!!! potential neighbours!

all sorted for the move in?
Original post by tubsymeds
Medicine ? Sweet as!

Yea could be mate, are you moving in on the 25th? :smile:

i get my accomm on the 16th

Oo it looks pretty good :biggrin:

Thanks for the link x
Original post by stroppyninja
i get my accomm on the 16th

awh ok! whats your name and ill look out for you! :smile:
Reply 2418
Original post by tubsymeds
Sick one!!! potential neighbours!

all sorted for the move in?

Pretty much! Last few bits and bobs then sorted :biggrin:
Original post by MarkyA
Pretty much! Last few bits and bobs then sorted :biggrin:

What funding are you getting?

I am gonna find it hard with what i got, and my parents are only giving me £20 a week (grateful, but i live on like £300 a week at the moment) :/

Latest

Trending

Trending