The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IamBeowulf
hey how long do the unis make their decision after youve sent your application

You may or may not get a postcard thanking you for application (Between now and November). Then in November (quite late) you'll get an eligibility form. Send this back and then you'll hear about interviews in January - March. Interviews start in January and finish at the end of March. After interview you'll get either a further consideration letter or a rejection letter. Further consid means that you're still in the running, and most people get this rather than a rejection. This usually takes up to 2 weeks after interview to come through. The first offers going out in the first 2 weeks of March, then the rest of the offers go out at the end.

This year there were fewer offers as 33 people were in the class of 2010/11 instead of 30. Not sure whether they'll reduce the number of offers again this year or not but it will still be around 45.
Original post by BethaneyJ
You may or may not get a postcard thanking you for application (Between now and November). Then in November (quite late) you'll get an eligibility form. Send this back and then you'll hear about interviews in January - March. Interviews start in January and finish at the end of March. After interview you'll get either a further consideration letter or a rejection letter. Further consid means that you're still in the running, and most people get this rather than a rejection. This usually takes up to 2 weeks after interview to come through. The first offers going out in the first 2 weeks of March, then the rest of the offers go out at the end.

This year there were fewer offers as 33 people were in the class of 2010/11 instead of 30. Not sure whether they'll reduce the number of offers again this year or not but it will still be around 45.

I'm assuming everyone gets the eligibility forms?

Do you know how these are used? Because I'm guessing everyone who applies to the BM6 programme will satisfy the criteria they ask for, so are they used to distinguish applicants and their circumstances somehow?
Original post by Ally312
I'm assuming everyone gets the eligibility forms?

Do you know how these are used? Because I'm guessing everyone who applies to the BM6 programme will satisfy the criteria they ask for, so are they used to distinguish applicants and their circumstances somehow?

No it's just to prove you are eligible. You'd be surprised about how many people apply without a) checking the criteria b) meeting the criteria in the hopes they'll get around it. :smile:
Reply 723
This is the BM6 thread right? so why are people worrying about getting predicted BBB? or more? the requirements are BCC, as far as I know?
No it's just to prove you are eligible. You'd be surprised about how many people apply without a) checking the criteria b) meeting the criteria in the hopes they'll get around it. :smile:

Really? :rolleyes: That must be annoying for the admissions people.

Original post by LukeyJB
This is the BM6 thread right? so why are people worrying about getting predicted BBB? or more? the requirements are BCC, as far as I know?

In my case it was because I am also applying to UEA's foundation course which wants BBB. I'm guessing it may be the same reason for others. And some people just have higher predictions because they have higher AS grades?

Out of interest, are you applying to BM6?

:eek: thats six months away, i may not survive that long
Original post by Ally312

In my case it was because I am also applying to UEA's foundation course which wants BBB. I'm guessing it may be the same reason for others. And some people just have higher predictions because they have higher AS grades?

being predicted AAA also puts you at a disadvantage
Reply 727

Really?

Really? Why?
Is it do with something about being eligible for A100 courses, because I read that somewhere last year.
Original post by Besakt
Really?

Original post by Ally312
Really? Why?
Is it do with something about being eligible for A100 courses, because I read that somewhere last year.

i think its because you can apply to a100 courses, but i read it on tsr so it may be untrue :dontknow:
i think its because you can apply to a100 courses, but i read it on tsr so it may be untrue :dontknow:

Yeah, I read that too. But people have got in with AAA predictions I think, so I don't know either. :confused:

I doubt it. Being predicted AAA whilst having applied to Nottingham foundation will result in you being rejected almost immediately. However, I don't think the other medical schools that offer the foundation medicine course really care, they only care if you've met the entry requirements.

I was predicted A*AA and applied to BM6 last year, got a straight rejection. My friend on the other hand also had the same prediction, however, only reached the interview stage. Honestly, they don't care.

Original post by Ally312

You will not be disadvantaged for getting AAA!!! Nor for getting BCC, at least for BM6. As long as you have the minimum it doesn't matter. BM6 is not about grades, it's about background etc.
Original post by Tzarchasm
I doubt it. Being predicted AAA whilst having applied to Nottingham foundation will result in you being rejected almost immediately. However, I don't think the other medical schools that offer the foundation medicine course really care, they only care if you've met the entry requirements.

I was predicted A*AA and applied to BM6 last year, got a straight rejection. My friend on the other hand also had the same prediction, however, only reached the interview stage. Honestly, they don't care.

thats good as i was getting worried my predicted grades were too high

what about if you come from a high achieving school, but fulfill 3/5 of the criteria would your school put you at a disadvantage

You will not be disadvantaged for getting AAA!!! Nor for getting BCC, at least for BM6. As long as you have the minimum it doesn't matter. BM6 is not about grades, it's about background etc.

as i said above would coming from a high achieving school put me at a disadvantage even though i meet 3 out of 5 criteria
(edited 12 years ago)

I know it sounds like an odd question... but how do they use your background? :smile:
thats good as i was getting worried my predicted grades were too high

what about if you come from a high achieving school, but fulfill 3/5 of the criteria would your school put you at a disadvantage

as i said above would coming from a high achieving school put me at a disadvantage even though i meet 3 out of 5 criteria

No. Though, BethaneyJ will know more about this subject than I do so I could be wrong.

Original post by Ally312
I know it sounds like an odd question... but how do they use your background? :smile:

They only way your background is 'used' is when they check that you meet the socioeconomic background. Other than that, it's not used at all. The selection process will be mainly focused on your personal statement and reference.
They only way your background is 'used' is when they check that you meet the socioeconomic background. Other than that, it's not used at all. The selection process will be mainly focused on your personal statement and reference.

Ahh okay. Thanks :smile:

What where ur gcse's like last year? Im predicted A*AA but have really **** gcse's which prevent me from applying to the a100 and almost every a100 course out there...
Reply 738
Original post by Ally312

Not this year, next year. I'm in year 12 at the moment, I don't have fantastic GCSE's so I'll be applying to foundation courses - I don't believe I'll get AAA anyway, more like AAB.
Reply 739
Original post by Hanz_a93
What where ur gcse's like last year? Im predicted A*AA but have really **** gcse's which prevent me from applying to the a100 and almost every a100 course out there...

Same here!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending