The Student Room Group

Debenhams Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by xDivax90x
Things did get a lot better, It was my first shift that I hated and I just hate this one senior sales adviser. But it's gotten alot better now, Just still haven't managed to buy a locker and still haven't got my staff discount card

I'm just an xmas temp but 2 permanent staff have left on my department so there might be a few jobs going after xmas I've not had a rude customer, I've had one moment the other day where the store was really busy and a woman came over to me and said is there any other tills I can use (because the cosmetics one was really busy) and I told her she'd have to go to that one or the one on menswear but it was just as busy and she just stormed off saying "it's so stupid!" lmaoo! big baby, not going to kill her to wait 5 minutes.
Positive Rating!

glad things are better :smile: shame about that sales advisor though. you have to buy a locker though?!

xmas shoppers are the angriest! lucky you havent had too many!

edit: are they really pushy about store cards? i ****ing hate pushing **** like that on customers. :frown:
Reply 181
Original post by popple7

Original post by popple7
glad things are better :smile: shame about that sales advisor though. you have to buy a locker though?!

edit: are they really pushy about store cards? i ****ing hate pushing **** like that on customers. :frown:

Yeah at our store you have to pay £5 it's as a deposit incase you lose your key. So you might as well lose your key just so you know you're money's being spent haha but there temporary lockers in the staff room where you put a £1 in and you get your £1 back when you put the key back in, but I'm scared to takemy stuff in incase there aren't any lockers avaliable and I have no where to put my stuff but I also don't know who to go to to buy a locker :s-smilie: just don't know if it's worth buying one now though I've been there since Nov 12th and my contract ends Jan 7th.

They mentioned them in the Induction but no they aren't pushy at this store. I've not been on the tills so I've not been able to open any accounts but when you total everything on the till the till beeps and it reminds you to ask them if they're paying with a debenhams store card, so you ask them and then you can ask "would you like to save a futher 10% by opening one today?" if they say no then carry on with the transaction, you can't force someone to open an account. I wouldn't want to open an account haha.
Reply 182
Has anyone else who is an Xmas temp been told their hours have to be reduced/can't do any overtime? I'm not sure if they are trying to kindly tell me I'm **** or it's genuine ahaha
Reply 183
Original post by Alice.
Has anyone else who is an Xmas temp been told their hours have to be reduced/can't do any overtime? I'm not sure if they are trying to kindly tell me I'm **** or it's genuine ahaha

I'm in the same situation (doing the bare minimum for the next couple of weeks) but have been told that this is due to budget cuts and there simply not being enough hours to go around. However, in the 6 weeks that I've been working here, I have had my fair share of overtime, so I'm fine with it.

As for accounts, I've only managed to open 5/6 so far. If I'm honest, I really don't like the idea of store cards and feel quite guilty having to offer customers them. We have daily targets for the number of new accounts to be opened and they're something we're constantly reminded of. We also have to meet targets for the number of orders (through the kiosk) we have each day. As I haven't been performing too well with either the accounts or orders, I doubt I'll be kept on. After having worked there for a while now, I am indifferent as to whether or not my contract is renewed. The store I work at is disorganised and the customers can be rude at times (to the point of being verbally aggressive!).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 184
Original post by Mickie112
I'm in the same situation (doing the bare minimum for the next couple of weeks)

Oh ok, I'm meant to do 16 hours but only got 10 this week ATM :/ I'm not too fussed as I have 4 exams in January but sort of want/need the money.
I've opened no accounts but I've only started on tills last Friday (2 shifts)
Done an order on the kiosk.
Doubt anyone in my store will be kept on tbh?
Reply 185

Original post by Alice.

I've not been told that but I'm only contracted to 10 hours (5 hours a day) So I'm already on low hours haha but I've done 17 hours overtime since Nov 18th and I've got 8 hours over time tomorrow and Friday.

I'm in the same situation (doing the bare minimum for the next couple of weeks) but have been told that this is due to budget cuts and there simply not being enough hours to go around. However, in the 6 weeks that I've been working here, I have had my fair share of overtime, so I'm fine with it.

As for accounts, I've only managed to open 5/6 so far. If I'm honest, I really don't like the idea of store cards and feel quite guilty having to offer customers them. We have daily targets for the number of new accounts to be opened and they're something we're constantly reminded of. We also have to meet targets for the number of orders (through the kiosk) we have each day. As I haven't been performing too well with either the accounts or orders, I doubt I'll be kept on. After having worked there for a while now, I am indifferent as to whether or not my contract is renewed. The store I work at is disorganised and the customers can be rude at times (to the point of being verbally aggressive!).

Yeah I agree, I think the account cards are ridiculous. I don't even want to offer any one an account haha, I've only been on the till once and served 1 customer so I've opened no accounts, they don't seem to want the temps on the tills at our store but yeah I wouldn't even want a Debenhams account card. I'm not expecting to be kept on either. To be honest, there are 4 or 5 temps including me on the Cosmetics/Accessories department and none of us has opened any accounts. *sigh* nevermind haha
Original post by Alice.
Oh ok, I'm meant to do 16 hours but only got 10 this week ATM :/ I'm not too fussed as I have 4 exams in January but sort of want/need the money.
I've opened no accounts but I've only started on tills last Friday (2 shifts)
Done an order on the kiosk.
Doubt anyone in my store will be kept on tbh?

If your contract says 16 hours then I'm fairly sure you have to be paid for the 16 hours, even if they don't give you the 16 hours.
Original post by popple7

We don't have to be pushy/pressurise customers into signing up, just have to ask them politely, but we do get pressurised by managers/supervisors that we need to open accounts. Individually it doesn't matter so much how many accounts you open, but as a department it does matter. Also to those of you who think you won't be kept on if you don't open many accounts, we've just been told that as long as supervisors/managers hear you asking each customer if they want to open an account they aren't too fussed.

Also surprised that a few people have said they haven't been given much chance to go on the tills, all the temps in my store go on tills loads, other than those who haven't got their till numbers yet. :s-smilie:

Had some really arsey customers recently, including a woman who called me a fat b**** because we'd sold out of a top in her size. She was asking for a size 22, I'm a size 8 :biggrin:
Reply 188
Original post by Shockolate

If your contract says 16 hours then I'm fairly sure you have to be paid for the 16 hours, even if they don't give you the 16 hours.

Yeah, come to think of it, I'm contracted to 10 hours a week and one week I only did 5 and I was given a 'holiday' I didn't as for as well as all the other temps on my department but I still got the 5 hour pay for that 'holiday'

We don't have to be pushy/pressurise customers into signing up, just have to ask them politely, but we do get pressurised by managers/supervisors that we need to open accounts. Individually it doesn't matter so much how many accounts you open, but as a department it does matter. Also to those of you who think you won't be kept on if you don't open many accounts, we've just been told that as long as supervisors/managers hear you asking each customer if they want to open an account they aren't too fussed.

Also surprised that a few people have said they haven't been given much chance to go on the tills, all the temps in my store go on tills loads, other than those who haven't got their till numbers yet. :s-smilie:

Had some really arsey customers recently, including a woman who called me a fat b**** because we'd sold out of a top in her size. She was asking for a size 22, I'm a size 8 :biggrin:

They just don't want us on the tills haha, they'd rather the permanent staff do it :s-smilie: I've helped pack when it was super busy the other week, no one asked me to but I just thought I would and there was a till free and they didn't ask me to go on it :s-smilie: A permanent member of staff walked by and they asked her to jump on the till.

Omg...what a Bitch! I love it when fat people call thinner people fat xD muppets haha
Reply 189

Oh right :/
I was told our hours had to be cut as budgets had been cut to all stores as they couldn't afford it. Therefore my hours had to be cut cause they couldn't afford it?! I assume holiday pay is the same as normal pay?
Original post by Alice.
Oh right :/
I was told our hours had to be cut as budgets had been cut to all stores as they couldn't afford it. Therefore my hours had to be cut cause they couldn't afford it?! I assume holiday pay is the same as normal pay?

Unless they've given you a new contract that says a lower amount of hours, I think they still have to pay you for the 16 hours as they are contracted. Not 100% sure though, I just remember a few months ago my friend who's on a 12 hour contract at Starbucks was only given 8 hours work but she said they still had to pay her for 12 because that's what her contract said. And yep holiday pay is the same amount :smile:
Reply 191
Unless they've given you a new contract that says a lower amount of hours, I think they still have to pay you for the 16 hours as they are contracted. Not 100% sure though, I just remember a few months ago my friend who's on a 12 hour contract at Starbucks was only given 8 hours work but she said they still had to pay her for 12 because that's what her contract said. And yep holiday pay is the same amount :smile:

Ok thanks, my contract doesn't say how many hours, just peak hours?
And if I remember rightly we were told we were all put on 0 hour contracts and then assigned 8/16 hours after that? So chances are I won't will I? Although an awful lot of temps have had HOL put on the rota which could explain it? Shall see what happens I guess!
Original post by Alice.
Ok thanks, my contract doesn't say how many hours, just peak hours?
And if I remember rightly we were told we were all put on 0 hour contracts and then assigned 8/16 hours after that? So chances are I won't will I? Although an awful lot of temps have had HOL put on the rota which could explain it? Shall see what happens I guess!

Ah :frown: as your contract doesn't give a specific amount of hours then you'll only be entitled to the pay for the hours they've given you. I've been put on hol for all my shifts this week, I asked my manager and he said I still get paid for it, but all staff accumulate holidays as they go along (I started early october), and this is the only time they could give me my entitled holidays as it will be too busy later in the month. Working every day between the 15th - 31st other than Christmas day and the 20th I think, sighh.

What's everyone elses hours over Christmas like?
Reply 193

Ah :frown: as your contract doesn't give a specific amount of hours then you'll only be entitled to the pay for the hours they've given you. I've been put on hol for all my shifts this week, I asked my manager and he said I still get paid for it, but all staff accumulate holidays as they go along (I started early october), and this is the only time they could give me my entitled holidays as it will be too busy later in the month. Working every day between the 15th - 31st other than Christmas day and the 20th I think, sighh.

What's everyone elses hours over Christmas like?

Omg everyday between the 15th and the 31st! Do you get breaks in your shifts? Just think about all the money haha :tongue:

I haven't checked my shifts over christmas yet,they've only put rotas out until the 17th. But I'm in today for 4 hours so I'll check then hope I've not got rubbish days :frown: See if I can finally get my staff card today as well! I want to buy a purse but I'm not paying full price haha
Reply 194
Wish I could see Xmas rota! I've only got hours until Friday then next week nothing ATM :frown: Got a feeling I'll be working Boxing Day though.
Yeah boxing day and new years eve is left out on my rota :/ But I know ill be defo be working boxing day.
Reply 196
I'm working xmas eve 1:10-6:10, boxing day 2:10-:10 and new years eve 1:10-6:10 which I don't think is fair because I'll be working new years day as well. If you work xmas eve and boxing day you're not supposed to work new years eve and new years day and visa versa. nevermind -_-
Original post by xDivax90x
Omg everyday between the 15th and the 31st! Do you get breaks in your shifts? Just think about all the money haha :tongue:

I haven't checked my shifts over christmas yet,they've only put rotas out until the 17th. But I'm in today for 4 hours so I'll check then hope I've not got rubbish days :frown: See if I can finally get my staff card today as well! I want to buy a purse but I'm not paying full price haha

Yeah other than Christmas day and one other day which is the 20th I think, I havent actually written them down other than christmas eve and boxing day yet as I couldnt find any scrap paper last time I was in so I just had a quick scan of the rota and wrote xmas eve and boxing day on my hand lol. Pretty annoyed as my dad has to pick me up on xmas eve after my shift and drive me the 2 and a half hours home (which will probably be longer due to bad traffic), and then drive me back on boxing day morning (luckily I have a nice dad :biggrin:), but yeah I'm just thinking of the money! One girl in my department was saying she has to start at 6.35am on boxing day, glad I'm not her!
Fingers crossed you will get good hours :smile: haha I bet we'll just get our staff cards sorted by the time we leave :tongue:

Just noticed you've posted your xmas hours, it sucks doesn't it!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 198

Yeah other than Christmas day and one other day which is the 20th I think, I havent actually written them down other than christmas eve and boxing day yet as I couldnt find any scrap paper last time I was in so I just had a quick scan of the rota and wrote xmas eve and boxing day on my hand lol. Pretty annoyed as my dad has to pick me up on xmas eve after my shift and drive me the 2 and a half hours home (which will probably be longer due to bad traffic), and then drive me back on boxing day morning (luckily I have a nice dad :biggrin:), but yeah I'm just thinking of the money! One girl in my department was saying she has to start at 6.35am on boxing day, glad I'm not her!
Fingers crossed you will get good hours :smile: haha I bet we'll just get our staff cards sorted by the time we leave :tongue:

Just noticed you've posted your xmas hours, it sucks doesn't it!

Aww your dad's like my mum, taxi'ing' us around haha but I only live a 5-10 minute drive from my work. Hope you buy him something great from christmas :tongue: I've got all my shifts until December 31st the week of the 18th I've got a few ****s on the 18th I'm working 10-5:40 :| couldn't believe it haha I've never worked more than 5 hour shifts! Atleast I'll get a break for once :smile: 6:35am wow! I shouldn't be complaining I don't start until 2:10 on boxing day and finish at 7:10 (just realised I missed the 7 off my last post)

I just missed the woman in the office today so I couldn't get my damn card -_- and the locker thing is a joke there aren't any left to buy so I've got to play russian roulette with the temporary ones haha. So fingers crossed I can get my card tomorrow because I refuse to buy anything when they won't give me my 20% discount without my card! Even though they know I work here! :s-smilie:
Reply 199
Lmaoo! Just realised I put the 'S word' instead of shifts! :biggrin: stupid blackberry missing out the 'F' haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending