The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by helenajane
AS Levels Physics A, Biology B, History C

A Levels Maths B (re-sitting some modules)

Predictions Maths A, Physics A, Biology A and History C 9have to carry it on because of fast track maths ... grr -__-)

Applied to do Physics at:
Kent .... offer BB in Maths and Physics 320 points
Nottingham.... interview (guaranteed offer) :smile:
UCL... interview (waiting for further... well anything )
Exeter .... interview (tomorrow )
Kings College...... nothing yet :/

hope I get something else ahhhh :/

Good luck for your interview! :smile:
Original post by jhtachyons
Errrrm the 15th December. Because i have special circumstances due to my AS grades (even though I'm predicted AAB for A2) they said that they might not get back to me until after the Jan 15th deadline because they can only give out a certain number of offers below the standard offer. I got a letter at the beginning of Jan saying thanks for attending and the admissions tutor had handwritten at the bottom that my interviewer was v impressed and they hoped to see me in October but they didn't send the offer through for like a week after I don't think. When was your interview??

aaaah poo :frown: i was 15th december as well! i got a letter like that a week after the interview day, but the admissions tutor just wrote a little note saying my interviewer enjoyed talking to me hahaaaa... i did mess up a little in the interview:/ although i suppose i havent been rejected just yet... well done for getting an offer though! :smile: hopefully by some divine intervention ill be joining you there in october if you choose them :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Just added Imperial as my final choice. Do you think I will be significantly disadvantaged at this stage? The website says that they advise to send off your application as early as possible and I've added ICL only one day before the deadline.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1203
Original post by vedderfan94
Just added Imperial as my final choice. Do you think I will be significantly disadvantaged at this stage? The website says that they advise to send off your application as early as possible and I've added ICL only one day before the deadline.

I doubt it, they say that they wait until the deadline for applicants and they're giving out interviews right now.
Anyone had an interview day at Lancaster yet? What was it like? I'm really hoping for an offer from Lancaster after mine, because if I don't I won't have an insurance as 3 of the 4 unis still considering me ask for A*AA :/
Also, does anyone know if we can bring parents to the Durham visit day?

My mum wants to see where I may study at and I was going to go to an open day later in the year anyway (if I firm Durham), so I thought I may aswell kill two birds with one stone. I don't want to if everyone else is on their own though :/
Reply 1206
Original post by aquark
Just noticed that the Bristol "visit day" includes a maths/physics test and group interview.
Also, I've got an interview at Imperial, had to get the date rearranged since originally they made it on the day of my physics exam, oops!

Anyone else got upcoming Bristol/Imperial visits?

Hey I'm going to the Bristol visit day on the 26th of Janurary :P they say that the test isnt to do with your offer, its just to see what level of maths everyone's at. And i hope it isnt an interview! It says on the website that they're small group discussions... http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/ugadmissions/booklet/Opendayphys.pdf
Reply 1207
Those who have Bristol visit days have nothing to worry about :smile:. As stated by others the test doesn't matter and the discussion really is just a chat with a few other applicants and an academic in a room (at least in my case) and also doesn't seem matter.
Reply 1208
Original post by JayReg
Those who have Bristol visit days have nothing to worry about :smile:. As stated by others the test doesn't matter and the discussion really is just a chat with a few other applicants and an academic in a room (at least in my case) and also doesn't seem matter.

Original post by neevle
Hey I'm going to the Bristol visit day on the 26th of Janurary :P they say that the test isnt to do with your offer, its just to see what level of maths everyone's at. And i hope it isnt an interview! It says on the website that they're small group discussions... http://www.phy.bris.ac.uk/ugadmissions/booklet/Opendayphys.pdf

Ah okay, cool, I must have misinterpreted it but I swear reading a pdf that said that the events of the day help determine any offer that you might get.
Reply 1209
Original post by JayReg

Thankyou! :smile: was worried haha, can cope with a normal interview, but a group one sounds horrible :s-smilie:
Does anyone know if UCL care much for gcse's? :smile:

I got 2 A*s 5 A's 2 B's and a C at GCSE and AAAC at as level and i go to a state school, I went to an interview/open day at UCL at the end of November and have since only received an email saying that they wont make a lot of their offers till after jan 15,

if youve got an offer from UCL do you mind saying what your GCSE's are like and AS levels, thanks! :smile:
Original post by Wrathmeister
aaaah poo :frown: i was 15th december as well! i got a letter like that a week after the interview day, but the admissions tutor just wrote a little note saying my interviewer enjoyed talking to me hahaaaa... i did mess up a little in the interview:/ although i suppose i havent been rejected just yet... well done for getting an offer though! :smile: hopefully by some divine intervention ill be joining you there in october if you choose them :P

I REALLLLLLY want to go there like so badly! How did you mess up? I'm sure it's fine, I think the purpose of it is to get to know whether you're enthusiastic about Physics, i think they understand people are gonna be nervous! Good luck, I hope you get an offer!

Nope, they still hold interviews between Jan and March.

Possibly could have had a slight advantage as people are already getting offers...therefore "places" are being taken.

Still have a great chance though, just shine at your interview :smile:
Also, does anyone know if we can bring parents to the Durham visit day?

My mum wants to see where I may study at and I was going to go to an open day later in the year anyway (if I firm Durham), so I thought I may aswell kill two birds with one stone. I don't want to if everyone else is on their own though :/

look on the durham uni website. if there are sessions for parents then lots will be there. its under the events section I think. it should show you what's different about days so you can decide. I'm sure others will have parents there too.
last year lancaster seemed to give offers to everyone interviewed but I'm not sure about this year. go in the Lancaster 2012 thread as well as there are current students on there offeing advice.
I really want Durham and am worried as haven't heard yet and the open days are soon.
Original post by BlackPoison94
Nope, they still hold interviews between Jan and March.

Possibly could have had a slight advantage as people are already getting offers...therefore "places" are being taken.

Still have a great chance though, just shine at your interview :smile:

Have you had an interview at Imperial?
Original post by alcimedes
look on the durham uni website. if there are sessions for parents then lots will be there. its under the events section I think. it should show you what's different about days so you can decide. I'm sure others will have parents there too.
last year lancaster seemed to give offers to everyone interviewed but I'm not sure about this year. go in the Lancaster 2012 thread as well as there are current students on there offeing advice.
I really want Durham and am worried as haven't heard yet and the open days are soon.

thanks. and dont worry about it durham are known to take ages to reply to people who they give offers too. there are visit days in march and i was notified only a few days ago and i have a selection of visit days to choose from.
I've applied for Physics at Leeds, York and Leicester, and Leics have offered asking for ABB. I've picked Physics (major) with Philosophy (minor) at Keele. I've got to add one more back-up choice that is asking for less than ABB. Liverpool are asking for AAB-BBB, hwat do you think the chances of them offering BBB to me are? I'm resitting some exams in Jan, so technically am in Year 14, but my predictions are AABB...if that helps.

:smile:
Anyone had an interview day at Lancaster yet? What was it like? I'm really hoping for an offer from Lancaster after mine, because if I don't I won't have an insurance as 3 of the 4 unis still considering me ask for A*AA :/

I have! I'm not sure how much I can tell you, since I don't know what proportion of us got through. :-/ I managed to get a double offer (3 or 4 year course depending on my grades) because I apparently came across well in the interview. XD It was quite an interesting day. We got the chance to go on a department or campus tour, or both, plus they gave us a sample lecture and group tasks. I get the impression that the purpose of it was to decide how leanient they'd be if people don't get the grades, since in the letter they state that the entry grades are only a guide, and aren't final if you don't get them. However, for all I know they might well have booted half of us - I don't think that was the case though!
Hey guys, I thought I'd update you on my situation since it's been a while since i've posted on this thread. So after getting CCDE in As Levels for Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing, I decided a foundation year would be the best option.

I've been predicted CCC and have applied at Manchester, Loughbrough, Sussex and Queen Mary. Application was finally sent off on the 6th of January and I've already got an offer from Manchester (Science with an Integrated foundation year) on the 13th which was my first choice so I was really pleased about that.

Alot of people have been getting offers on here so I just wanted to say congrats and good luck. :smile:
Have you had an interview at Imperial?

Yep I did. It's meant to take 20 minutes but mine went waaaay more, like 40 minutes? I love my interviewer...he made it really comfortable :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending