The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samohamoud1
I'm confused, have all the people that got rejection had interviews? Or are ppl getting rejected without interviews?

Without interviews (I think).

Original post by tobnot
Those of you who've had rejections, did you find out through UCAS track or did Soton contact you?

UCAS track.
Reply 2001
Original post by Tzarchasm
A lot of re-applicants got rejected today. I'm slightly suspicious of the applicant selection process.

Think you might be on to something seeing as I had an interview last year but rejected without one this year. :holmes:
Im a first yr BM5: second yr BM6. Sorry to hear that some of you have recieved rejections. As for the selection process, even if you meet and exceed the entry requirements the people who run the course are looking for something extra. Does not matter how much over the base requirements you are you are not looked on any more favorably.

Dont become suspicious about the reapplicants situation - the uni have far too much to do to look at the stats, work out who applied last year then exclude them on that basis. It would just be too much effort.

To some extent there is luck involved on applying. Different people read the personal statements and put forward their favourites (say 10 out of 100) out of the lot they are given. These are then re-looked at and the best of the best offered interviews and offers....there are obvious flaws in this system but at least you know your P.S has been read and not dumped without even it being looked at.

BM6 is very competitive and rightly so, its an amazing course and yr and for those of you who are fortunate to get on you will truely love it. For those who have not got in this yr, i wish you the best of luck and if its meant to be you'll get here!!! Loads of ppl in the current yr are reapplicants so keep the faith!!!
Original post by Medican
Think you might be on to something seeing as I had an interview last year but rejected without one this year. :holmes:

Leeds have done the same with me this year. I had an offer from them last year, but this year no interview. So maybe re-applicants are disadvantaged?
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry to hear about the rejections guys! D:
I dont get it because you guys seemed to have some great profiles..
Original post by dora_explorer
Im a first yr BM5: second yr BM6. Sorry to hear that some of you have recieved rejections. As for the selection process, even if you meet and exceed the entry requirements the people who run the course are looking for something extra. Does not matter how much over the base requirements you are you are not looked on any more favorably.

Dont become suspicious about the reapplicants situation - the uni have far too much to do to look at the stats, work out who applied last year then exclude them on that basis. It would just be too much effort.

To some extent there is luck involved on applying. Different people read the personal statements and put forward their favourites (say 10 out of 100) out of the lot they are given. These are then re-looked at and the best of the best offered interviews and offers....there are obvious flaws in this system but at least you know your P.S has been read and not dumped without even it being looked at.

BM6 is very competitive and rightly so, its an amazing course and yr and for those of you who are fortunate to get on you will truely love it. For those who have not got in this yr, i wish you the best of luck and if its meant to be you'll get here!!! Loads of ppl in the current yr are reapplicants so keep the faith!!!

What if your decent personal statement was in the batch that had good personal statements, whereas a relatively average personal statement was in the batch full of mediocre personal statements?

Secondly, why aren't re-applicants looked at more favorably? Of course I've passed the 'base requirements' but surely they should appreciate the fact that I exceeded them. I put effort into exceeding them, I overcame a load of crap to exceed them, yet they can't look at them more favourably (I'm referring to academics)?

Looking for something extra? By purposely neglecting the UKCAT/Academics? And I understand that a good doctor doesn't equate to good academics, but surely those who have worked hard deserve some sort of recognition?

Sorry for the rant. I'm just sad that we won't obtain any form of personalised feedback, which is, to an extent, disrespectful to the applicants who have spent years upon years of hard work to get to their positions. And of course they may have "a lot" to get through, but surely during the process they must have stated why the applicant didn't make it to the interview/offer stage.

I wish everyone else the best with their application process.
(edited 12 years ago)
all the best to everybody

today's been an eventful day
What if your decent personal statement was in the batch that had good personal statements, whereas a relatively average personal statement was in the batch full of mediocre personal statements?

Secondly, why aren't re-applicants looked at more favorably? Of course I've passed the 'base requirements' but surely they should appreciate the fact that I exceeded them. I put effort into exceeding them, I overcame a load of crap to exceed them, yet they can't look at them more favourably (I'm referring to academics)?

Looking for something extra? By purposely neglecting the UKCAT/Academics? And I understand that a good doctor doesn't equate to good academics, but surely those who have worked hard deserve some sort of recognition?

Sorry for the rant. I'm just sad that we won't obtain any form of personalised feedback, which is, to an extent, disrespectful to the applicants who have spent years upon years of hard work to get to their positions. And of course they may have "a lot" to get through, but surely during the process they must have stated why the applicant didn't make it to the interview/offer stage.

I wish everyone else the best with their application process.

Well said mate. I'm bitterly disappointed myself as i'm a re-applicant and i've been rejected too.

Having considered other people's applications who got interview's, I can safely say that I definitely deserved an interview.

I tried so hard during this gap-year to acquire everything that would make me an excellent applicant, however, it seems that all has gone to waste. What a shame !

Really disappointed by Soton's weird and unfaithful selection criteria.
Reply 2008
Original post by LRSS
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering, if you apply to the BM6 course and get an offer but exceed the grades for the BM5 course, can you move from BM6 to BM5?

Many thanks x

Definitely not! BM5 is completely separate to BM6 - if you have the grades for BM5, one would question your intentions for applying to the foundation course.

P.s. Why the neg? I'm just telling the truth.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by carl_senior
Leeds have done the same with me this year. I had an offer from them last year, but this year no interview. So maybe re-applicants are disadvantaged?

Got sent a letter from Southampton after emailing them with their reasons for rejecting me. I honestly wouldn't question their application process. There were 770 applicants this year, and they said that if you make it through the academic process, they then look towards the non-academic side by examining your personal statement and reference. They rate it between 0 - 5. Even if you managed to attain 4/5s in all of their criteria, as outlined in some pdf file, you have to consider that they're going to interview the very best...

Those you were competing with last year might have been of lower standard than those that have applied this year :wink: not to mention the increased number of applicants as well
Original post by arsi123
Well said mate. I'm bitterly disappointed myself as i'm a re-applicant and i've been rejected too.

Having considered other people's applications who got interview's, I can safely say that I definitely deserved an interview.

I tried so hard during this gap-year to acquire everything that would make me an excellent applicant, however, it seems that all has gone to waste. What a shame !

Really disappointed by Soton's weird and unfaithful selection criteria.

Yeh but everyone thinks that.
Original post by TheStudent.
Got sent a letter from Southampton after emailing them with their reasons for rejecting me. I honestly wouldn't question their application process. There were 770 applicants this year, and they said that if you make it through the academic process, they then look towards the non-academic side by examining your personal statement and reference. They rate it between 0 - 5. Even if you managed to attain 4/5s in all of their criteria, as outlined in some pdf file, you have to consider that they're going to interview the very best...

Those you were competing with last year might have been of lower standard than those that have applied this year :wink: not to mention the increased number of applicants as well

no way hose!!!

That does not mean it's not flawed.

Yeh but everyone thinks that.

No. I have read two personal statements (both gained interviews at BM6) and the applicants have both said that my PS was better (of course, they could have been polite, yet one of them is my best friend who I'd trust anything with and who has also been honest with me from the very start). I can fully admit if an application is better than mine, for example, I just recently read a person's PS and if they were to pick one of us, I'd happily accept him to be picked. It just seems like worse applicants are being picked over better applicants.

PS: For those who already have interviews, I'm not doubting your abilities. I'm sure you've all worked hard and congratulations for getting this far!
Reply 2013
Sotons selection has always been a mystery from what I remember and it seems that hasn't changed. Also remember guys, while it might appear that you have excellent academics it really is just a matter of meeting minimum entry requirements. Your 5 A* are no better that another person's 5 B's in sotons case I'm afraid. I comes down to PS and reference. And at the end of the day, that's subjective.
Rejected without Interview :mad: SOTON can KMA

UEA!!
Reply 2015
How many conditional offers been given out?
Original post by infernalcradle
no way hose!!!

Just making it explicit for those that can't understand why they've been rejected if they got an interview the first and not the second time, because obviously their application should have improved by the second cycle.
That does not mean it's not flawed.

No. I have read two personal statements (both gained interviews at BM6) and the applicants have both said that my PS was better (of course, they could have been polite, yet one of them is my best friend who I'd trust anything with and who has also been honest with me from the very start). I can fully admit if an application is better than mine, for example, I just recently read a person's PS and if they were to pick one of us, I'd happily accept him to be picked. It just seems like worse applicants are being picked over better applicants.

PS: For those who already have interviews, I'm not doubting your abilities. I'm sure you've all worked hard and congratulations for getting this far!

Well maybe they deserved it and you didnt? maybe they were just being nice, being your friends after all, and didn't want to upset you?
Your very arrogant. Your patronising comment at the end doesn't detract from that. Just because YOU say your the better applicant in no way means that you are.
This thread has been so quiet, and we seem to only have bad news lately! :frown:

Original post by Medican
Officially rejected with out interview even though I had an interview last year. :s-smilie:

Good luck everyone. :gthumb:

Original post by sumsum123
Rejected too without interview O.o , hopefully better luck with it next year...

Original post by Besakt
http://www.ucas.com/changechoices

On another note. I got rejected from Southampton.

Well **** you Southampton.:eviltongue:

Rejected. Southampton, you are officially uncool.

UKCAT: 700
A2: AAB

Bunch of keyboard warriors... the admissions team.

Oh my goodness! I am so sorry guys, I've still not heard anything but so shocked at this!
I really hope you're successful in your other choices and get to where you want to be :smile: xx
It just seems like worse applicants are being picked over better applicants.

I don't agree with this. The Admissions team have a difficult job sorting thorough 700+ applications. I have no doubt that many of them are worthy of a place and that many of them would indeed make great doctors. I think they make the best of a very demanding task. Looking at some of the current BM6 lot, I do have some faith in the admissions process.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending