The Student Room Group

*** Dentistry 2013 Applications ***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by strangerme
so i was wondering what to do? shall i just keep pursing my dream of being a dentist or dont?(

If you end up doing badly in AS, just resit a few modules and take a gap year. So you end up applying for Dentistry a year later, big deal. Besides, Graduate Entry's too expensive nowadays.
Original post by Ra.One
Heyyy found out I'll be able to one week at an Integrated Health Centre which has various different dental departments. They said I might be able to observe GA too, but they'll have to check with the hospital. They do paediatric, elderly, community, restorative .. abit of everything, excited now. :biggrin:

Sounds good! I loved GA when I saw it, very interesting. Plus you get to see how an anaesthetist works as well, someone who is quite often overlooked as a member of the Dental team.
Reply 42
Hey, I'm an International Student (Jamaica)
I'm applying to Liverpool, Bristol and Leeds.

I did a summer job at a general last year summer and I'm doing one this year again and possibly at an orthodontist.
I've rang 17 surgeries and every single one has said no to work shadowing.
I just booked my UKCAT for 2nd October at 14:00. :eek3:
Reply 45
Would you still be able to apply for dentistry if you get AABB for AS grades?
Original post by Hamza95

You'd need to see if the uni's you are applying to have AS requirements. If not, as long as you are predicted at least AAA I imagine that would be fine.
Hi all, I'm a dental student at Newcastle. If any of you need help with your applications, or want info on the course/uni/Newcastle in general please feel free to PM me.

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by Hamza95

I got 3 As, 2Bs at AS, got predicted 2A* and an A and have now got 3 offers for dentistry. Unless requirements change for your year, 2As and 2 Bs at AS is fine. Obviously all As would be more advantageous, but AABB is acceptable
Reply 49
I am also applying :-) It's really stressful period to be honest.. :-/ Which universities are u guys planning to apply??
Original post by MB95
I am also applying :-) It's really stressful period to be honest.. :-/ Which universities are u guys planning to apply??

Tell me about it, I feel more and more stressed as it's getting closer. I've booked my UKCAT, got a few weeks shadowing organised for the summer and just need to get cracking with some models to develop my manual dexterity. I'm definitely applying to Leeds (the only non-UKCAT university that appeals to me) and I'll think of the rest after the UKCAT.

How about you
Reply 51
Original post by MB95

It's beyond stressful! :frown: well, I suppose it'll just get worse after summer aha :colondollar:
I don't really have a wide choice of unis due to my subject choices so I'm a bit stuck on who to pick :redface: I'm looking at Dundee/Glasgow/Sheffield/Newcastle right now :smile:
How is everyone's work experience and voluntary work going?
Reply 53
Original post by reuse-this-bag
Tell me about it, I feel more and more stressed as it's getting closer. I've booked my UKCAT, got a few weeks shadowing organised for the summer and just need to get cracking with some models to develop my manual dexterity. I'm definitely applying to Leeds (the only non-UKCAT university that appeals to me) and I'll think of the rest after the UKCAT.

How about you

I am planning to apply to Leeds and Bristol (2 non-UKCAT unis).. :biggrin: But as u said for the rest, I would decide after the UKCAT..However It is most likely to be 2 of Manchester/Queen Mary/Sheffield.. :-))
Reply 54
Can you list employment but not talk about it as much, because I won't really have the space and would rather talk about my work experience.
Both jobs relate to healthcare, but not dentistry related.
So if I listed that I was a healthcare assistant, but didn't mention it in the personal statement, would the admissions tutor still be able to see that I had a long-term role as a HCA?
I guess I could mention it in one sentence, but just in case I run out, I'd probably remove it to make space for relevant stuff.
Original post by bigbottle
Can you list employment but not talk about it as much, because I won't really have the space and would rather talk about my work experience.
So if I listed that I was a healthcare assistant, but didn't mention it in the personal statement, would the admissions tutor still be able to see that I had a long-term role as a HCA?
I guess I could mention it in one sentence, but just in case I run out, I'd probably remove it to make space for relevant stuff.

There is no point dropping things in if you can't elaborate on them. You will write employment on your UCAS form anyway, but it might be good to leave a sentence in your PS to at least expand on skills learnt from your role as a HCA - because many other applicants won't have this, and it could make you stand out. At one of my interviews, I believe that the only reason they asked me about my part-time job was because I had written about it in my PS, they would have otherwise ignored it if it was just listed on the UCAS form. Also, it doesn't matter whether jobs are Dentistry related or not, mine was neither Dentistry nor healthcare related, but it is about the general skills that you take from employment that are important.

Either put it in your PS and expand upon it in 1 or 2 sentences, or leave it out altogether. There is no point name-dropping it and hoping that interviewers ask you about it at interview, they want to know what skills you've learnt from a job.
Reply 56

I would talk about being an HCA and what you learnt from it as like was said before not many other applicants will have this. I have been an hca this year and the majority of my interview answers came from experiences I had had in my job :smile: I got 4 interviews. (i didnt attend 3 as already had my bristol offer) so yeh going to Bristol in September :smile:

On a side note if anyone wants any application help I'm more than happy to give any advice I can!
Reply 57
So where is everyone thinking of applying to?
Reply 58

I simply said I'm a lifeguard and how it allows me to make fast accurate decisions

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 59
Original post by LL1
I would talk about being an HCA and what you learnt from it as like was said before not many other applicants will have this. I have been an hca this year and the majority of my interview answers came from experiences I had had in my job :smile: I got 4 interviews. (i didnt attend 3 as already had my bristol offer) so yeh going to Bristol in September :smile:

On a side note if anyone wants any application help I'm more than happy to give any advice I can!

i was wondering how much work experience/ extracurricular activities/ volunteering or anything else you've done to be able to get all those interviews, thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest