The Student Room Group

Can I Still Grow Taller ?

;; I'm 16 and 1.59m (5.2ft), So basically I'm quiet short :frown::frown: I did this kind of test in year 7 and the doctors told me that I would reach 1.65m (5.5) but I didn't ;( I really want to get taller at least another 3 inches but don't know how ? I've heard that girls can grow up until 21 so I actually have time, right? Can anyone tell me how I can grow taller naturally, please, please, please because I don't want to stay this short :frown::frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Get your mum to grab your arms and get your dad to grab your legs then tell them move backwards slowly and eventually you'll stretch.
Reply 2
Talk to a giraffe. I'm sure he'll give you some tips:biggrin:
Reply 3
Go to the Dr and ask for growth hormones, failing that theres this delightful treatment where they snap your legs and then stretch them... all for a cool £50k :cool:
Reply 4
I'm also quite short so I know how you feel, but there's not really anything you can do unless you want to pay thousands of pounds for medical treatment that will probably only cause you to grow a few cms.

Look on the bright side - females can wear heels to make themselves taller, and I don't think being short is as bad for a woman as it can be for a man, in terms of social perception, so really it's not that bad. Plus 5'2 is hardly tiny, just a little less than average.
At 5'2" you're only about 2 inches shorter than the female average, so it's really not as bad as you may think.

It's possible you have some more growing to do but women in general stop growing a few years earlier than men, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. The best thing you can do is learn to love the way you are and remember it could be worse, you don't have to worry about towering over people or being taller than a potential boyfriend.
Reply 6
Original post by Sara Marzi
;; I'm 16 and 1.59m (5.2ft), So basically I'm quiet short :frown::frown: I did this kind of test in year 7 and the doctors told me that I would reach 1.65m (5.5) but I didn't ;( I really want to get taller at least another 3 inches but don't know how ? I've heard that girls can grow up until 21 so I actually have time, right? Can anyone tell me how I can grow taller naturally, please, please, please because I don't want to stay this short :frown::frown:

You normally don't stop growing in height till about this age, so you heard right :biggrin:

I went from 6'2" to 6'6" between 15 and 17, so yeah, you can :^_^:

How tall are your parents though? Because this could be another important factor.
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't know, some girls do, some don't. Don't worry about it, I'm almost 19 and I'm only 4'10 and have been the same height since I was 12/13. I'd love to be your height! :p:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by RyJ
You normally don't stop growing in height till about this age, so you heard right :biggrin:

I went from 6'2" to 6'6" between 15 and 17, so yeah, you can :^_^:

How tall are your parents though? Because this could be another important factor.

My Mum is the same height as me and my dad is 1.75m (5.9ft) so I should be somewhere in the middle around 5.4 but I'm only 5.2 :'( I really want to grow another 2-3 inches, I'm being called short a lot lately and my cousin who is only 13 has grown taller than me but her parents ain't even that tall :frown: ?! :frown:
Reply 9
you're only 16. I was growing right up until the age of 20 / 21. I was about 5'9" or so at 16, 6'3" at 24.
That's a fine height for a woman.
Reply 11
Stand in a bag of compost, water yourself twice a day, and get plenty of sunlight.

Seriously, 5'2 is only a bit shorter than the average. Anyway, short girls are cute.
At 16 it's entirely possible that you will grow some more, though probably not by much.

Girls tend to get their real growth earlier than boys and therefore stop earlier. so by your age I'd largely stopped growing but my brother is 17 and is till growing.

I've got a bit taller since I stopped growing (about an inch over 3 or 4 years probably) and my mother actually grew an inch very suddenly when she was about 20, well after she thought she'd stopped growing so it's entirely possible.

However if your family aren't very tall then it may be that your height is what's natural for you. And I wouldn't worry about, being smaller isn't such a big deal for girls and you'll never have to worry about looking like a giraffe in heels or if said heels will make you taller than your boyfriend (which is my problem as I'm 5'7.5" and he's just 5'10")
Original post by Sara Marzi

Some stretches or something maybe?

or just get really good at walking in heels.
Original post by Pitt1988
you're only 16. I was growing right up until the age of 20 / 21. I was about 5'9" or so at 16, 6'3" at 24.

That's a boy thing! Both of my sons didn't stop growing until they were about 19 or 20. However, my daughters stopped at around 14. Generally girls only grow a couple of inches taller after they start menstruating.
You can't make yourself grow taller. That may be the height that you're going to be, in which you are going to have to get used to the idea. I stopped growing around the age of 16, though its different for everyone.
Reply 16
Well i'm 23 and have grown 3 inches since I was 18. Everyone grows at different speeds, you could jump up another 5-10 inches and be back on this forum asking how to become shorter! :wink:
Original post by slylee
Well i'm 23 and have grown 3 inches since I was 18. Everyone grows at different speeds, you could jump up another 5-10 inches and be back on this forum asking how to become shorter! :wink:

You're male....it's very different.
Reply 18
Original post by Supportive mum
You're male....it's very different.

Women stop growing at 18 according to what i've read and men stop at 21, i'm currently 23 and have gained at least an extra inch since i turned 23, what i'm saying is that even when she's 18, she could continue to grow, there's is no specific speed at which we grow.

The pituitary gland can give you a growth spurt at any age due to various reasons, there was a case of a 5'5 (guessing) woman who grew to over 7 foot at the age of 30-40
Reply 19
I think I grew 2 inches from about 13 to 17 years of age. There's still hope.

And hey, I'm 5"7 and I'm the shortest in my family :frown: I like my height but my little brother calls me his little sister...

Latest