The Student Room Group

I really don't know who to get my passport counter signature from.

I need one because apparently I look nothing like my 5 year ago self on the photo.

Rang the doctors, they said they don't do them anymore because most of the doctors didn't know who the people were anyway. Can't get a teacher for two reasons, 1. we are off until October and 2. I haven't known any well enough, or long enough (two years), since you don't at uni really.

I don't know anyone else. In the leaflet it does say bank officials, which may be easy, but it's not like they know me, and have probably never even seen me!

Any ideas? I can't think of anyone that could place my face.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
can you get a new photograph
Ask an employer if you can
Reply 2
Original post by simibean
can you get a new photograph
Ask an employer if you can

A new photograph? That's what I have got, and it looks nothing like my old one.

I can't ask an employer as I haven't got any that have known my long enough, nor are they recent enough.
Reply 3
Original post by Airfairy
A new photograph? That's what I have got, and it looks nothing like my old one.

I can't ask an employer as I haven't got any that have known my long enough, nor are they recent enough.

Whoops, sorry I did not read it properly
I need one because apparently I look nothing like my 5 year ago self on the photo.

Rang the doctors, they said they don't do them anymore because most of the doctors didn't know who the people were anyway. Can't get a teacher for two reasons, 1. we are off until October and 2. I haven't known any well enough, or long enough (two years), since you don't at uni really.

I don't know anyone else. In the leaflet it does say bank officials, which may be easy, but it's not like they know me, and have probably never even seen me!

No family friends that have known you since you were little?
Parents of school friends?
I got my regular Nurse to sign mine.
Reply 6
I'd go for a family friend.

The teacher doesn't actually have to 'know you' as a person. They just need to know that you've been to their school, you are who you say you are and that you're not a terrorist or illegal immigrant.

Support staff like receptionists are usually still in school as this time; you could ask them to send it to a teacher and ask for a date for it to be sent back. My school doesn't break up until this week, so the fact yours has is a bit strange. They'll probably be teachers in your school anyway packing up, getting their rooms sorted, doing last minute tasks etc. Ask one of them or your headteacher. Your headteacher would be good because they'll know you are who you say you are on the photo.

The passport people don't ring up the teacher and ask them how many conversations they've had with you or how long they've known you like rock music. They just need to know you're the person you're claiming to be, which any teacher can verify by your school records. My headteacher signed mine and I'd only ever talked to him properly once before that.

Edit: if you mean you're at uni and not school, and by teachers you mean lecturers, get any of your lecturers to sign it who've been working at the university for at least 2 years.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
It's all very well if you are middle class and have a bank of teachers, doctors etc to go to to sign as the 'upstanding member of the community' who knows you. I wonder how many people are genuinely up **** creek in this situation and can't get anyone to sign for them.
Reply 9
Original post by kat2pult
I'd go for a family friend.

Original post by cognito_08
No family friends that have known you since you were little?
Parents of school friends?

Doesn't it have to be a professional person? Family friend would be fine but as far as I know they need to be professional, so my passport booklet tells me.
Reply 10
Doesn't it have to be a professional person? Family friend would be fine but as far as I know they need to be professional, so my passport booklet tells me.

Do you have any professional family friends?

Yeah they do have to be 'professional' but surely your family friends have jobs that will fall under that bracket?

I mean it doesn't have to be lawyer/doctor; what jobs do they have?
Reply 12
Unfortunately, members of your family would not be allowed to counter sign. A family friend should be able to as long as they have professional standing.

If you can't find anyone to do it, send a letter with your application explaining why you are unable to get a countersignature, and forward additional photographic ID such as driving licence.
Reply 13
Yeah they do have to be 'professional' but surely your family friends have jobs that will fall under that bracket?

Original post by kat2pult
Do you have any professional family friends?

Uhh, most of them are teaching assistants because they work with my mum. My dad has a mate who works at BAE as an engineer :dontknow: Maybe he could?
Uhh, most of them are teaching assistants because they work with my mum. My dad has a mate who works at BAE as an engineer :dontknow: Maybe he could?

"Your countersignatory should:

*have known you for at least two years
*live in the UK

Your countersignatory should not:
*be related to you by birth or marriage
*be in a personal relationship with you
*live at the same address as you
*work for the Identity and Passport Service"

It is no longer a requirement that the person have any particular profession and your application can't be rejected purely because of the profession of the person who signed (I assume this got changed because the old system was frankly a bit snobby). However it is recommended that you get someone of "good standing" in the community to do it.

There's a recommendations list on the link below, it does include engineer and I think that as long as the job in the box is fairly sensible sounding they're not going to be fussed.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174151

basically it means anyone that they can verify as the counter signature, it's not just Doctors that can sign nurses, midwives, pharmacists , the 13 HPC professions ...
I was worrying about this and thanks to the post above about they can't reject it purely for the person's occupation, I think I'll get my neighbour to do mine, she works with disabled children.
Original post by Ham22
It's all very well if you are middle class and have a bank of teachers, doctors etc to go to to sign as the 'upstanding member of the community' who knows you. I wonder how many people are genuinely up **** creek in this situation and can't get anyone to sign for them.

Well said! Alright for the likes of my mate who works for the church and can get members of the clergy to do it! I know no-one professional outside my family.
Local shop keeper?
My neighbour signed mine, known her for years.

Latest

Trending

Trending