The Student Room Group

Neuroscience - which A levels should i take

hello,
i dont know which would be the best set of A levels to take if i want to do neuroscience. i am thinking of taking physics, chemistry, philosophy and politics. i was thinking of taking up history and politics degree if i do bad in my sciences which is why i kept politics. i am passionate about politics. philosophy is useful for everything, even neuroscience. maybe i should take psychology instead of politics if i want to go into neuroscience. any suggestions?
thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surely biology would be a good subject to take? :smile:
Reply 2
Chemistry and physics seem like a good idea. I would recommend biology too though. Then perhaps one of philosophy and politics.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PoeticShoaib
hello,
i dont know which would be the best set of A levels to take if i want to do neuroscience. i am thinking of taking physics, chemistry, philosophy and politics. i was thinking of taking up history and politics degree if i do bad in my sciences which is why i kept politics. i am passionate about politics. philosophy is useful for everything, even neuroscience. maybe i should take psychology instead of politics if i want to go into neuroscience. any suggestions?
thanks.

Personally, I can't see neuroscience degrees being offered without biology A-Level. and do maths and chem
Biology and Chemistry are the typical ones that should be taken really... then take Politics as you seem to enjoy it, and either Physics or Philosophy.
Reply 5
thanks for the replies. when i checked the entry requirements for neuroscience at UCL it said chemistry is required plus one other science or math. i really really want to do physics. that was the first subject i picked way before i even thought about a levels. couldnt i just pick psychology instead of biology because i find some things of biology boring like the plants and animals.psychology is surely relevant to neuroscience (could it push my application) im not keen on chemistry because i did not enjoy it this year but i was getting good grades and my chemistry teacher says once i understand it i will love it. i think physics, chemistry, philosophy and psychology is a good set of subjects. thoughts?
Reply 6
thanks for the replies. when i checked the entry requirements for neuroscience at UCL it said chemistry is required plus one other science or math. i really really want to do physics. that was the first subject i picked way before i even thought about a levels. couldnt i just pick psychology instead of biology because i find some things of biology boring like the plants and animals.psychology is surely relevant to neuroscience (could it push my application) im not keen on chemistry because i did not enjoy it this year but i was getting good grades and my chemistry teacher says once i understand it i will love it. i think physics, chemistry, philosophy and psychology is a good set of subjects. thoughts?

Check the entry requirements for at least 4 uni's that you may want to apply to, because if you've only checked UCL and you don't get it, it may be problematic, but good luck! :smile:
My friend wants to study neuroscience and she told me she had to take biology because of this, even though she doesn't like some parts of it. If you really want to study this at uni it's not a big sacrifice to make, and plants only cover one topic. You should definitely study biology even if you're determined to go to UCL - you might not get the grades and have to consider other unis that require biology. I study psychology and it really isn't relevant to neuroscience - there's hardly any biology in it, and only like 1 topic (in the course I did) that looks at the activity of the brain. A lot of it is social/developmental which isn't really relevant to neuroscience. Obviously take it if you'll enjoy it, but don't just take it because you think it's relevant, as biology is probably more useful in the skills it will give you.
You should take politics if it interests you - that's really important at A-level, especially if you're not overly keen on chemistry. I'd say take chemistry, physics, politics and biology.
hello,
thanks.

Whilst it may not be essential, I strongly recommend Biology. At least one of your first year modules is guaranteed to be some kind of cell biology or similar module, if not all of them. A lot of life science courses have a shared first year.

Chemistry is a must. Physics and/or maths would be useful, but not necessarily essential. Be aware that you will need to be able to do some complex maths and statistics throughout the course.

Psychology is kinda take it or leave it. Do it if you think you'll enjoy it. Only a small part of the course will be directly relevant to Neuroscience and the rest far from it. I don't expect it will advance your application that much.

Do philosophy if it interests you and is available to you. It will look pretty good on your application and is certainly relevant to neuroscience, particularly if you go into cognitive stuff over cellular.

Again, politics won't hurt your application, so do it if it interests you :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Maths Further maths biology chemistry or at least maths bio chem + another subject
Reply 10
thanks for the replies. you have really cleared up some confusion. If anyone has done Neuroscience or know alot about it, can you tell me what exactly happens as a neuroscientist or anything else?
Original post by Revd. Mike
Whilst it may not be essential, I strongly recommend Biology

Chemistry is a must.

So is it the general consensus that Chemistry is more essential than Biology?
Original post by DanKeitley

Chemistry is the essential subject, although if you don't take biology as well the universities are going to give you a hard time about it since it's the second most relevant A-Level to neuroscience.
Reply 13
Biology, chemistry and philosophy for sure since most ask for bio/chem and you enjoy philosophy. Maths or physics would also be good as a 4th subject.
thanks for the replies. you have really cleared up some confusion. If anyone has done Neuroscience or know alot about it, can you tell me what exactly happens as a neuroscientist or anything else?

I work in neuroscience research (haven't done a degree in neuroscience though). What you actually do depends greatly on what field you go into, neuroscience is pretty vast. I work more specifically in cellular neuroscience. People in my department are working on a variety of things, from neurodevelopment from neural stem cells, molecular neurobiology, stem cells for brain regeneration, and working on a variety of neurodegenerative and psychiatric diseases. Most of our stuff is done with cellular and molecular techniques on cell cultures and animal tissues, as well as some animal behavioural work and neuroimaging.

There's also neurophsyiology type stuff, which is a mix of imaging, histology and patch clamping. Cognitive neuroscience is a bit beyond my expertise, but I understand it's more behavioural, imaging and computer modelling.

Original post by DanKeitley

Chemistry is essential. Biology is strongly recommended.
Reply 15
I work in neuroscience research (haven't done a degree in neuroscience though). What you actually do depends greatly on what field you go into, neuroscience is pretty vast. I work more specifically in cellular neuroscience. People in my department are working on a variety of things, from neurodevelopment from neural stem cells, molecular neurobiology, stem cells for brain regeneration, and working on a variety of neurodegenerative and psychiatric diseases. Most of our stuff is done with cellular and molecular techniques on cell cultures and animal tissues, as well as some animal behavioural work and neuroimaging.

There's also neurophsyiology type stuff, which is a mix of imaging, histology and patch clamping. Cognitive neuroscience is a bit beyond my expertise, but I understand it's more behavioural, imaging and computer modelling.

thank you for the information. im in a dialema. so i really enjoy physics so i want to take it at A level but i am not taking another science or maths along with it. this means i cannot continue it after A levels. so the only option i have left is to take an ARTS degree in university. so i am thinking i should take chemistry and biology along with philosophy and history/politics so that i have two choices. what would you recommend? i am looking for a social science or humanities degree but i do want another option just incase. so should i take physics in isolation or shall i take chemistry and biology? i wasnt very keen on biology and chemistry at gcse. my teacher tells me i will like chemistry at A level so i dont mind taking it but biology seems boring. (what happens in A level biology)?
I would say:

Biology (anatomy of the brain and the CNS and various other parts of the body)
Physics (how MRI scans, FMRI scans etc. are used)
Psychology (neurotransmitters and their importance in areas such as depression, addiction, eating behaviour, aggression)
Then another science/maths subject to "strengthen" your subject choices. Or a fourth one you enjoy/have a true interest in.

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
I took English lit, biology and maths for A level, and physics and further maths AS :smile: I got all 5 offers.
hello,
thanks.

Are you planning to do neuroscience straight away? That may affect your decision.
I took Psychology, Biology, Maths as my main A-levels and am currently studying BSc Psychology before MSc Cognitive Neuroscience.

In terms of science subjects, I would recommend 2 to make a strong application. Prioritise Biology and Physics, and perhaps consider Psychology.

Philosophy and Maths may also be useful.

:smile:
Physics, chemistry, Biology and Psychology should be ideal for neurology. Psychology for the brain side of it! Good luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending