The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Who's studying English Literature at Cardiff?

Scroll to see replies

I'm doing English too :smile: anyone staying at Cambrian Point ?
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
I am! Staying at Talybont South House 21, should be good.
Reply 62
Original post by welshfrankie
Hey everyone! I'm studying English lit, will be staying in Taly South house 9 :biggrin:

Hey, Frankie, I'm in house 9 too :biggrin: Have you joined the facebook group? :smile:
Original post by TheORB
Hey, Frankie, I'm in house 9 too :biggrin: Have you joined the facebook group? :smile:

Yep :smile: My name is actually Alex but I get called Frankie because of my surname :tongue: should help you find me there!
Are you studying English Lit too?
Reply 64
Original post by welshfrankie
Yep :smile: My name is actually Alex but I get called Frankie because of my surname :tongue: should help you find me there!
Are you studying English Lit too?

Gotcha! Nope, I'm not studying English Lit... I was searching 'House 9' on here to try to find some people in my flat and your post popped up :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by TheORB
Gotcha! Nope, I'm not studying English Lit... I was searching 'House 9' on here to try to find some people in my flat and your post popped up :smile:

I'm in house 9 too! D: Link me to the fb group!
Original post by aptkoolaid
I'm in house 9 too! D: Link me to the fb group!

I just PM'ed you the group :smile:
With all seriousness, are we supposed to buy a copy of every set text? Really? Cripes.
Reply 68
Original post by GarethEvans
With all seriousness, are we supposed to buy a copy of every set text? Really? Cripes.

i think we only need to get the set texts, not the secondary ones- its still really expensive though! :/
Original post by ccarter25
i think we only need to get the set texts, not the secondary ones- its still really expensive though! :/

Have you got them yet? I doubt I can afford it in one painful hit haha
Reply 70

yes my parents have kindly paid for mine and no i've left the ones that i know we study in the spring term out- i've bought most of them though, cost nearly £200! :s-smilie:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 71
yes my parents have kindly paid for mine and no i've left the ones that i know we study in the spring term out- i've bought most of them though, cost nearly £200! :s-smilie:

Which texts will we need in the short term? D:
Reply 72

I feel your pain! They aren't exactly the cheapest books :tongue: The Norton Anthology is £35! But to be fair, it is a huge book.
Reply 73
Well the books ive bought are: norton anthology of english literature vb (£16.99) -blackwells bookshop, a portrait of the artist as a young man £4.00 blackwell bookshop, the rover and other plays £4.50 blackwell bookshop, pamela £4.50 blackwell bookshop, then the rest I got from amazon: border country £7.64, feet in chains £8.09, the song of Roland £6.59, Cambridge £6.56, wide sargasso sea £6.74, Norton Shakespeare £27.99, British literature 1640- 1789 an anthology £24.69, the bluest eye £5.59, great expectations (case studies in contemporary criticism) £15.19, Jane eyre (case studies in contemporary criticism) £10.79, le morte d'Arthur £7.19, song of Solomon £6.39, the hiding place £5.99, a Dylan Thomas treasury £2.97, and the Norton anthology of poetry £27.39 Kk so those are all the books I've bought, I may have bought too many but who knows! Btw I'm doing all 3 English modules so these are books from each one and I've bought them as all new books so hope that helps! Btw sorry if it gets muddled I'm on my phone doing this! :P
Reply 74
Original post by MJOwen
I feel your pain! They aren't exactly the cheapest books :tongue: The Norton Anthology is £35! But to be fair, it is a huge book.

Which norton anthology are you talking about? I found the english lit one for £16, brand new!
Cripes...

Also, do we have to buy the exact edition that they specify? No doubt they'll be using the most expensive editions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 76
Which norton anthology are you talking about? I found the english lit one for £16, brand new!

The Norton Anthology of Poetry: I searched all the options and there weren't any below £35 new including postage! :tongue: I haven't bought the other anthology yet though...
Reply 77
So, my order has come to over £200 -_-
Just priced up the Autumn Semester alone; £125.

Reply 79
So, which books has everybody read? My preliminary reading hasn't been as extensive as I'd have liked... I've read Jane Eyre, Great Expectations, Dracula and Heaney's translation of Beowulf. However, seeing as there's still a while until we move in, I'll probably read one or two of the others when they arrive.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending