The Student Room Group

The Cambridge Chat Thread's Starter for Ten - 'No, you lose five points!'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Saturday lectures for the first time in over a year, hooray.
Reply 41
Original post by gethsemane342
Are you around at all next weekend? I may be going to Cambridge for a day or two to visit my bf plus a few other friends so might stop by to collect the Per Inc copy if you're there.

Yep, will be. :smile: Just let me know the time/place nearer the time and I'll come and meet you. :p:
Original post by Tortious
Yep, will be. :smile: Just let me know the time/place nearer the time and I'll come and meet you. :p:

Cheers. Not sure if/when I'm going yet but will let you know when I have a plan!
Original post by Melz0r
So, er, hi everyone.

Hello. Well done on the seminar invitation.

And to Craggy: well done to your husband on the PhD place!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Craghyrax
Careful now... this is becoming a habit :s-smilie:

I know. :s-smilie:

I just heard that my hubby landed a fully funded PhD place on a programme that fits him like a glove. We are over the moon right now, especially as we just came to the second year of him applying for PhDs and being shortlisted for funding twice but narrowly missing it. It was looking like he'd have to try and self fund, which would have put us in a very tight place financially. So this is just amazing. And best of all, its at a University close enough to Norwich that we can live somewhere in between and easily commute to both our Unis. At this stage its looking like we'll move to Ely or Cambridge :awesome:

Congratulations to him! :biggrin:
Reply 45
I just heard that my hubby landed a fully funded PhD place on a programme that fits him like a glove. We are over the moon right now, especially as we just came to the second year of him applying for PhDs and being shortlisted for funding twice but narrowly missing it. It was looking like he'd have to try and self fund, which would have put us in a very tight place financially. So this is just amazing. And best of all, its at a University close enough to Norwich that we can live somewhere in between and easily commute to both our Unis. At this stage its looking like we'll move to Ely or Cambridge :awesome:

Well done to your husband! :smile:

I'm well and truly freshers flu-ed. :frown: I made it so far without getting it and then BAMBAM.
Thanks guys!
Original post by Catherine.

I'm well and truly freshers flu-ed. :frown: I made it so far without getting it and then BAMBAM.

Drat :frown: There isn't any time to be ill at Cambridge. Do you mind me asking what you study?
Reply 47

:hello: Welcome to the thread :smile:

Can anyone recommend things to take a visitor to see in Cambridge? Or any pub/restaurant recommendations?

A friend is visiting but she's flying back to the States tomorrow, so, this is the only chance she'll get to visit Cambridge. I haven't been here long enough to have an opinion and I haven't eaten out here yet. We both like long walks so I'm thinking of visiting other colleges (hopefully the ones that make visitors pay aren't too fussy about her not having an ID if she's with me).
Original post by ratio

Can anyone recommend things to take a visitor to see in Cambridge? Or any pub/restaurant recommendations?

A friend is visiting but she's flying back to the States tomorrow, so, this is the only chance she'll get to visit Cambridge. I haven't been here long enough to have an opinion and I haven't eaten out here yet. We both like long walks so I'm thinking of visiting other colleges (hopefully the ones that make visitors pay aren't too fussy about her not having an ID if she's with me).

2 secs and I will copy paste the page we put on our wedding website for guests.
With the card thing, you can walk into almost any college including ones that charge, if you don't look like tourists. If your friend hides her camera and doesn't stare at things but looks nonchalant, you can just march in and people will assume that you're students. It doesn't always work, but it often does. Colleges tend to be stricter when they have private events on, in which case they need evidence that you're a college not University member. Kings will demand to see a card, but they allow any University member to bring in two guests, so your card is fine.
Original post by ratio

Cafe/Pub/Restaurant suggestions

For activities, have you seen the Round Church? You can ask to climb to the top of Great St Marys, or St John's chapel tower for really nice views. There's obviously punting. Some of the museums are awesome (particularly Kettle's Yard, Fitzwilliam and the Whipple).

There are nice walks along the river in any direction. You can walk to Grantchester through some pretty countryside. You can walk along the Backs, which is lovely, and then when you get to Magdalene Bridge, cross over and walk along the quay past the restaurants... you'll get to Jesus Green... keep walking along the towpath and you can follow the river for a few miles (all the way to Waterbeach or Ely if you wanted) which is very pleasant.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50
xx

Thank you so much! This is excellent.
Original post by ratio

No problem :smile: As with anybody who loves a place, half the fun is in sharing it with other people.
Reply 52
Thanks guys!

Drat :frown: There isn't any time to be ill at Cambridge. Do you mind me asking what you study?

MML :smile:
Original post by Catherine.
MML :smile:

Cool :smile: There are a fair few in this thread. I guessed as much by the film thing, but I couldn't be sure.
Original post by ratio

By the way, these days in Cam you can't eat at restaurants with a booking, sadly. Especially on weekends. So if you are thinking of going somewhere tonight you need to begin calling round. The St John's Chop House is as good as the Cambridge Chop House.
Reply 54

By the way, these days in Cam you can't eat at restaurants with a booking, sadly. Especially on weekends. So if you are thinking of going somewhere tonight you need to begin calling round. The St John's Chop House is as good as the Cambridge Chop House.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. We did the walking route you suggested, stopped by a few colleges, ate at the Cambridge Chop House and then checked out the Eagle because it was literally next door. The Chop House has the best roast she's had in England so far - the steak was cooked really well (and by that I actually mean not very cooked, which is perfect) and the gravy was very good.

Also, may have convinced her to apply here for her next degree. :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ratio
Thanks so much for the suggestions. We did the walking route you suggested, stopped by a few colleges, ate at the Cambridge Chop House and then checked out the Eagle because it was literally next door. The Chop House has the best roast she's had in England so far - the steak was cooked really well (and by that I actually mean not very cooked, which is perfect) and the gravy was very good.

Also, may have convinced her to apply here for her next degree. :biggrin:

Awesome :smile:
Reply 56
Just noticed A. E. Clothier is cheaper than Ryder & Amies :albertein:

Time to buy a scarf and tie :rolleyes:
Reply 57
Original post by Akkuz
Just noticed A. E. Clothier is cheaper than Ryder & Amies :albertein:

Time to buy a scarf and tie :rolleyes:

Ah, but the difference is that he doesn't have a licence to embroider stuff on site - he has to buy it from the likes of Ryder & Amies anyway!

How much are his scarves? I got a combined one (college on one side, University on the other, with badges for both) from R&A for £27 a few years back - I think it's exclusive to them. :yep:
(edited 11 years ago)
I think the one that irritates me is that outfitter on Trinity street that likes to print college names, US style onto hoodies, but does it incorrectly :angry: :angry: :angry: (e.g. 'Trinity Hall College', 'Peterhouse College')
Reply 59
Original post by Tortious
Ah, but the difference is that he doesn't have a licence to embroider stuff on site - he has to buy it from the likes of Ryder & Amies anyway!

How much are his scarves? I got a combined one (college on one side, University on the other, with badges for both) from R&A for £27 a few years back - I think it's exclusive to them. :yep:

Not sure off the top of my head but its £4-£5 cheaper (think its circa £24, whereas R&A is circa £29 for the ones with badges). Rather expensive for a scarf if you ask me! Although the Selwyn scarf is gryfondor (sp) colours which is uber cool. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending