The Student Room Group

GCSE German help!

Hello, I have took German for GCSE's, I had a good interest in German in year 9 but I am currently finding it hard to cope up with GCSE German. My head of year said its to late to change subjects now!, I seriously need help with getting a good grade in German and if I do get a bad grade will it effect my university entrance?.

Thanks,

Scroll to see replies

wo wohnst du?
Reply 2
Original post by AblazeChroma
Hello, I have took German for GCSE's, I had a good interest in German in year 9 but I am currently finding it hard to cope up with GCSE German. My head of year said its to late to change subjects now!, I seriously need help with getting a good grade in German and if I do get a bad grade will it effect my university entrance?.

Thanks,

Hallo. Erste meiner Deustche GCSE's schlect war, aber ich wollte das Deustch gelernt. Ich habe eine A*.

Hello. At first my GCSE German was awful, but I wanted to learn German. I have an A*.

Sorry for my awful German, it's been 2 years since I did it. Just learn the Vocab and key verbs, then it's a doddle :smile:
Reply 3
Got an A* in German actually, if you want a good grade make sure you get as many marks as possible in the controlled assessments. They account for 60% for your grade, so if you get good marks there then you are sorted.

Sent from my lovely lovely Xperia S.
I only got an A in GCSE German but like vxrz said, do as well as you can on the controlled assessments and then your exam grades are less crucial :smile: try finding a German penfriend or someone who studies A level (or is fluent in) German and ask them to listen to you babble in German. They'll be able to help you with your understanding :smile: if that fails, you can try babbling German at me but I warn you I haven't done it since Year 11 and I'm in Year 13 now so ^^"

Hope this helps! :smile:
Hallo!

First of all, unless you want to apply to Oxbridge or any other top 5 unis, your German GCSE grade is unlikely to affect your application (assuming you don't want to study it at uni!), so don't worry too much about that.
If you really want a good grade and struggle with it, you will have to put the work in. If you have a vocab book, pick out what you think are the most important words and learn them! It's tedious, but it'll definitely help you. Grammar is also important, but at GCSE you can get away with just knowing specific phrases and the basics of each tense. Things like:
Ich bin ... gegangen/gefahren
Ich war schon in Deutschland
Ich möchte ...
Ich werde ...

are very important, so make sure you understand them! Feel free to ask if you need them clarifying :smile:

Opinion phrases will also get you far. For example:
Ich glaube
Ich denke
Meiner Meinung nach
Ich bin der Meinung
Ich finde
Das gefällt mir

For coursework (is it 'controlled assessments' now?) get in as many tenses and fancy vocab as you can, as higher marks in coursework means you can get away with lower marks in the exams!
Reply 6
Original post by OneDayIwill
wo wohnst du?

Ich lebe in England :smile:
Reply 7
[QUOTE="Funtry;39834526"]Hallo. Erste meiner Deustche GCSE's schlect war, aber ich wollte das Deustch gelernt. Ich habe eine A*.

Hello. At first my GCSE German was awful, but I wanted to learn German. I have an A*.

Sorry for my awful German, it's been 2 years since I did it. Just learn the Vocab and key verbs, then it's a doddle :smile:[/QUOTE

Thanks for your reply, gives me hope on getting a good grade in GCSE German
:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Funtry
Hallo. Erste meiner Deustche GCSE's schlect war, aber ich wollte das Deustch gelernt. Ich habe eine A*.

Sorry for my awful German, it's been 2 years since I did it. Just learn the Vocab and key verbs, then it's a doddle :smile:

Thanks for your reply, gives me hope on getting a good grade in GCSE German
:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by vxrz
Got an A* in German actually, if you want a good grade make sure you get as many marks as possible in the controlled assessments. They account for 60% for your grade, so if you get good marks there then you are sorted.

Sent from my lovely lovely Xperia S.

Thanks, now I can set a target to myself: Controlled Assessments. :smile:
Macht dir keine Sorgen und viel Glueck! :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by LithiumSalts
I only got an A in GCSE German but like vxrz said, do as well as you can on the controlled assessments and then your exam grades are less crucial :smile: try finding a German penfriend or someone who studies A level (or is fluent in) German and ask them to listen to you babble in German. They'll be able to help you with your understanding :smile: if that fails, you can try babbling German at me but I warn you I haven't done it since Year 11 and I'm in Year 13 now so ^^"

Hope this helps! :smile:

Thanks, our teacher told us to make a account on this "pen-friend" website. Hopefully it helps with my German :biggrin:
Reply 12
Original post by Purple Giraffe
Hallo!

First of all, unless you want to apply to Oxbridge or any other top 5 unis, your German GCSE grade is unlikely to affect your application (assuming you don't want to study it at uni!), so don't worry too much about that.
If you really want a good grade and struggle with it, you will have to put the work in. If you have a vocab book, pick out what you think are the most important words and learn them! It's tedious, but it'll definitely help you. Grammar is also important, but at GCSE you can get away with just knowing specific phrases and the basics of each tense. Things like:
Ich bin ... gegangen/gefahren
Ich war schon in Deutschland
Ich möchte ...
Ich werde ...

are very important, so make sure you understand them! Feel free to ask if you need them clarifying :smile:

Opinion phrases will also get you far. For example:
Ich glaube
Ich denke
Meiner Meinung nach
Ich bin der Meinung
Ich finde
Das gefällt mir

For coursework (is it 'controlled assessments' now?) get in as many tenses and fancy vocab as you can, as higher marks in coursework means you can get away with lower marks in the exams!

Thanks for the phrase and the opinion phrases, phew.... got through my essay with those :biggrin:
Reply 13
Danke sehr viel :smile:
Thanks, our teacher told us to make a account on this "pen-friend" website. Hopefully it helps with my German :biggrin:

I am pretty much in the same position as you but am in year 11. I was doing alright in german in year 9 but then not so good in year 10 and 11. Anyway i was wondering if you could tell me about that "pen-friend" website, as i really need as much help as i can get. Thanks
Reply 15
Original post by Prof Dumbledore
I am pretty much in the same position as you but am in year 11. I was doing alright in german in year 9 but then not so good in year 10 and 11. Anyway i was wondering if you could tell me about that "pen-friend" website, as i really need as much help as i can get. Thanks

Yep, I'll let you know about it when our teacher give us the website :smile:

Thanks,

Guten Abend!

I'm a year 13 A level German student so feel free to pm me for help - others who have been asking for help are also welcome (although I did old GCSE German which was quite different from the current one - this shouldn't be too much of an issue)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 17
Original post by Butterfly9595
Guten Abend!

I'm a year 13 A level German student so feel free to pm me for help - others who have been asking for help are also welcome (although I did old GCSE German which was quite different from the current one - this shouldn't be too much of an issue)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Thanks, sure will :smile:
Yep, I'll let you know about it when our teacher give us the website :smile:

may i ask what did you get in your Gcse for German :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending