The Student Room Group

RMR (Regular) to Officer training possible?

So I am not keen on the OTC as thats army based. I would much rather start a potential RM career off the bat if at all possible. So I considered joining the RMR as an officer, but I with degree workload and all I feel that joining the RMR as a reg first might be a better idea.

So I am currently considering the two options. I am curious as to whether its possible to transfer from the RMR as a reg to the Officer training after my degree?
I'm confused, you're doing a degree, are you studying away at university? If you have the time to be a regular marine (as in move away for training etc) then you have time to be an officer. Both will require studying, research and increasing fitness for the application and selection process.

As for commissioning up to an officer, I'm not sure how the marines function but if it's anything like the RAF it is possible but VERY competitive and not the most ideal route.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 2
If you mean joining the RMR whist being a student then you could apply for officer entry with the regular RM once leaving uni as far as I know. Is there no URNU at your uni as that could be an option for you?
Any reason why you are not keen on the Army?
Original post by moonkatt
If you mean joining the RMR whist being a student then you could apply for officer entry with the regular RM once leaving uni as far as I know. Is there no URNU at your uni as that could be an option for you?

Nope, UEA doesnt have one, just OTC for the army... So I would join the RMR as an officer? (or try to) and if I get in that permits me entry into the RM as an officer when I go full time? (I know that reserve ranks are equilivent of the main ranks but wasn't sure if it actually carried over)
Original post by JustWonderingWhy
Any reason why you are not keen on the Army?

It's not that I am not keen, I've just always prefered the idea of being in the RM than in the Army (though the idea of being a para is pretty cool). I just thought I'd be in better stead if I directed a potential military career in the direction I want it to go in as soon as possible really...
Reply 6
There is a forum here : prmc.royalnavy.mod.uk

With a working careers officer who runs the site, a number of serving Marines who can help and lots of lads going through the process there too.

There is even a sub forum for RMR applicants and officers.

Hope it helps.
Original post by the666thmessiah
Nope, UEA doesnt have one, just OTC for the army... So I would join the RMR as an officer? (or try to) and if I get in that permits me entry into the RM as an officer when I go full time? (I know that reserve ranks are equilivent of the main ranks but wasn't sure if it actually carried over)

Once again I may be wrong but the RAF reserves is all I can advise on but it will most likely be the same for the RM.

If you apply for the reserves, you'll most likely be offered a junior rank as they tend to only take or even consider officer applicants if you have strong experience or are ex service etc.

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by teasin_tina
Once again I may be wrong but the RAF reserves is all I can advise on but it will most likely be the same for the RM.

If you apply for the reserves, you'll most likely be offered a regular rank as they tend to only take or even consider officer applicants if you have strong experience or are ex service etc.

Do you know if it is at all possible to transfer after my degree from a regular to an officer then?
Reply 9
Do you know if it is at all possible to transfer after my degree from a regular to an officer then?

Peeps,

A 'regular' is someone who is a full-time member of the Armed Forces i.e. not a reserve.

What we're talking about in this thread is an enlisted/ private soldier, sailor, marine or airman.

I don't know if it's possible but even if it is it will be INCREDIBLY difficult to just transfer.

You'd need to apply and go through the selection process for officer the same as everybody else. Your experience and dedication will go in your favour when it comes to interviews etc though but please bare in mind before you apply to the reserves:

- To justify the (lengthy) training they will provide you they need a return of service so be willing to be a member for years rather than months.

- Expect to be deployed within your first 2 years for approx. 6 months. This isn't definite but is a very real possibility, can you afford to miss university to deploy out of area?

The reserves are completely different from UAS' and OTCs. They are to work around employees in careers, not university students who need exam revision and take lengthy breaks at Easter/Christmas/Summer.

I don't want to scare you off and say don't do it but do your research properly before you commit.

It's not that I am not keen, I've just always prefered the idea of being in the RM than in the Army (though the idea of being a para is pretty cool). I just thought I'd be in better stead if I directed a potential military career in the direction I want it to go in as soon as possible really...

Fair enough - you have to follow your gut feeling sometimes. However, don't completely discount the Army - there can be a lot more variety than within the RMs. A good Inf Bn will also have a comparable esprit de corps. Having said that, if you are completely set on your green lid then good luck.
Reply 12
So I am not keen on the OTC as thats army based. I would much rather start a potential RM career off the bat if at all possible. So I considered joining the RMR as an officer, but I with degree workload and all I feel that joining the RMR as a reg first might be a better idea.

So I am currently considering the two options. I am curious as to whether its possible to transfer from the RMR as a reg to the Officer training after my degree?

There are i believe about 4 corp commissions a year.

Whilst it is indeed possible to make the jump from marine to officer, you would have to be outstanding.

Talk to an afco.
I went into my RN careers office and was informed it was not possible :/

Still, I started my application so I will hopefully be starting training september 2014 when my degree is finished!
Reply 14
Original post by teasin_tina
I don't know if it's possible but even if it is it will be INCREDIBLY difficult to just transfer.

You'd need to apply and go through the selection process for officer the same as everybody else. Your experience and dedication will go in your favour when it comes to interviews etc though but please bare in mind before you apply to the reserves:

- To justify the (lengthy) training they will provide you they need a return of service so be willing to be a member for years rather than months.

- Expect to be deployed within your first 2 years for approx. 6 months. This isn't definite but is a very real possibility, can you afford to miss university to deploy out of area?

The reserves are completely different from UAS' and OTCs. They are to work around employees in careers, not university students who need exam revision and take lengthy breaks at Easter/Christmas/Summer.

I don't want to scare you off and say don't do it but do your research properly before you commit.

I was in the army many years ago and when you are in your training stage I think it is from week 6 you get the option to leave if its not for you ... Known as a D.A.O.R ( discharge as of right ) I think that window. Is open for 4 weeks or something like that ... When that window closes that's it you are there for a minimum of 4 years . It's not like tho old days where you could buy yourself out, minimum 4 years!!!

As for the posting 2 years when you get to battalion.. That's got "some" truth in it but its not always the case. It all depends on where abouts your regiment is at the time .... When I was training I was also preparing for afghan as that's where **** was going down ! But it's not always going to be a war zone like Iraq or afghan . You could be slumming it in you battalion, adventure training in Canada..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
You are getting very confused with terminology which suggests you need to do more research.

A reg or regular is a full time regular member of the armed forces not a reservist.

Yes you can apply to join the RMR whilst you are a student.

The RMR will expect you to have completed training as a marine before it will consider you for a reserve commision.

You need to check properly but I would be very surprised if you could transfer directly from being a very junior RMR officer to regular RM officer. You certainly can't in the Army without doing the full Sandhurst course from scratch.

You would not be expected to deploy on opertions whilst you were a student.

The number of reservists from all 3 services deploying on ops is going to reduce quite a bit over the next couple of years as we rapidly draw down in Afghanistan.

I don't get why you dont give the OTC a go - they will do some very relevant officer focussed training.
Original post by Lee_c1987
I was in the army many years ago and when you are in your training stage I think it is from week 6 you get the option to leave if its not for you ... Known as a D.A.O.R ( discharge as of right ) I think that window. Is open for 4 weeks or something like that ... When that window closes that's it you are there for a minimum of 4 years . It's not like tho old days where you could buy yourself out, minimum 4 years!!!

As for the posting 2 years when you get to battalion.. That's got "some" truth in it but its not always the case. It all depends on where abouts your regiment is at the time .... When I was training I was also preparing for afghan as that's where **** was going down ! But it's not always going to be a war zone like Iraq or afghan . You could be slumming it in you battalion, adventure training in Canada..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, I was talking about the RAF reserves as it's the only area I've researched and did say early on that things were probably different in the RN/Army/RM but figured there must be some similarities.

I don't see why you don't just join the UOTC while you are at uni. There will be skills and training which will be relevant if not directly transferable. It will be good to at least give you an insight into forces life. There is no commitment to join the Army, and you can take that to your RM application as evidence of prior interest and commitment. It will be far easier to fit around your studies as its designed with students in mind.

Plenty of good opportunities in the OTC too, beyond just exercises other related but fun things like paintballing and skydiving.
It's not possible to join RMR as an officer. You have to qualify as a Commando before being considered

Quick Reply

Latest